May 19, 2024, 02:27 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Capaldi tardis

Started by brenk9carter, Jan 09, 2017, 03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

Your progress is amazing!

I can't help a lot with the glass - I don't know a lot about the newer boxes, but I get the impression the windows look black when they're not lit (with grey/white lower left and right) and white when lit.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5156.0

Crispin

brenk9carter

Mar 07, 2017, 12:16 am #91 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2017, 12:20 am by brenk9carter
Quote from: Scarfwearer on Mar 06, 2017, 11:39 pm
Your progress is amazing!

I can't help a lot with the glass - I don't know a lot about the newer boxes, but I get the impression the windows look black when they're not lit (with grey/white lower left and right) and white when lit.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5156.0

Crispin

cheers anyway crispin, the black parts will only be tinted so they will look black when unlit and a kind of off white/ light blue when lit, like the actual box
Bren

Volpone

I also don't know about the new prop but I will say the "crackle" pattern neon light diffuser is a stolid standby of TARDIS builders.  It's what mine has (although it is getting increasingly camouflaged). 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

therenegade

I used the same material to provide the effect on my build.
The problem I ran into was cutting it, it tends to break in jagged lines rather than be cut straight and neat.
It provides a nice lighting effect, though. But then again, my build was a "Tennant-ish",
so if you're going for a Capaldi look, I'm not sure how to replicate that.

brenk9carter

Mar 07, 2017, 11:41 pm #94 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 12:45 am by brenk9carter
today's been rather productive

the first step of the roof is pretty much ready to glue and screw together.
IMG_8692.JPG

a bit of a closer look
IMG_8693.JPG

And i finally got round to hanging the doors properly, so at the moment shes looking like this
IMG_8689.JPG

or this
IMG_8690.JPG

here you can see the little bits i had to make to accommodate the hinges on the cornerposts
IMG_8697.JPG

oh go on then one more pic for good luck ( taken on my phone so the quality isnt as good)
Snapchat-1686955491.jpg
Bren

galacticprobe

Mar 08, 2017, 07:43 am #95 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 07:43 am by galacticprobe
The Old Girl is coming along beautifully, Bren! Your workmanship is superb! And just curious, but where did you find that St. John Ambulance logo? It looks pretty cool and I can't wait to see it on the door once the blue paint goes on.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

brenk9carter

Mar 08, 2017, 05:49 pm #96 Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 05:50 pm by brenk9carter
Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 08, 2017, 07:43 am
The Old Girl is coming along beautifully, Bren! Your workmanship is superb! And just curious, but where did you find that St. John Ambulance logo? It looks pretty cool and I can't wait to see it on the door once the blue paint goes on.

Dino.

Thanks Dino, the logo is from this thread from this very site.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6014.0
Bren

macgyvers workshop

Looks real good! I wonder about the pressure treated wood base though. In my experience, over time as the pressure treated wood dries out it will shrink and gaps will open up. Do you think that give you any trouble later on down the road? Got to have it for the base so it doesn't rot, just hope it doesn't shrink too much on you :)

galacticprobe

Mar 09, 2017, 06:26 pm #98 Last Edit: Mar 09, 2017, 06:26 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: brenk9carter on Mar 08, 2017, 05:49 pm
Thanks Dino, the logo is from this thread from this very site.

Whoa! Brilliant! It's the one I created! It's great to see those logos being put to great use. That logo aside, your build is really amazing. (I can hear the chanting on the airwaves: Make her blue. Make her blue. ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

brenk9carter

Mar 09, 2017, 10:08 pm #99 Last Edit: Mar 09, 2017, 10:10 pm by brenk9carter
Quote from: macgyvers workshop on Mar 09, 2017, 02:00 pm
Looks real good! I wonder about the pressure treated wood base though. In my experience, over time as the pressure treated wood dries out it will shrink and gaps will open up. Do you think that give you any trouble later on down the road? Got to have it for the base so it doesn't rot, just hope it doesn't shrink too much on you :)

cheers man, as for the drying out i think that shouldn't be too much of a problem as where i live its not what you would call the dryest of places and if i keep on top of it like filling gaps and so on it should be ok.... hopefully
Bren

brenk9carter

Mar 09, 2017, 10:11 pm #100 Last Edit: Mar 09, 2017, 10:19 pm by brenk9carter
Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 09, 2017, 06:26 pm
Whoa! Brilliant! It's the one I created! It's great to see those logos being put to great use. That logo aside, your build is really amazing. (I can hear the chanting on the airwaves: Make her blue. Make her blue. ;D)

Dino.

Thanks Dino, i didn't really realise it was the one you made, it looks amazing, and once I've completely finished the first step of the roof it'll all come down for 'that moment'  ;D
Bren

macgyvers workshop

That some good looking work there!

Davros Skaro

What everyone else has said, & great job job you've done, looking forward to the next step. :-)

Chris.
Chris.

krissym

I think someone mentioned above, but your craftsmanship is superb! This is on it's way to putting a smile on even 12's face.  ;D
Jenkins! The chap with the wings, there. Five rounds rapid.

brenk9carter

Mar 11, 2017, 09:10 pm #104 Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017, 09:38 pm by brenk9carter
the first step of the roof is complete now and the second step is attached, all i have to do now is make the supports for the plywood and then cut out the plywood and attach that.
IMG_8711.JPG

the corner bits on the first step were put on last night but i didn't really take enough pics to make a proper update.

IMG_8709.JPG
IMG_8712.JPG

i bevelled the top edge of the second step so that the plywood has a better surface area to glue on to when that happens.
IMG_8714.JPG
you cant see it very well but any reason to add more pictures am i right  ;)

now as for the lamp, i have decided to make it at college as one of my projects and I've considered either turning a big chunk of clear acrylic to get the fresnel or even making a blow mold but i would much prefer to get a proper one, but i cant seem to find one anywhere so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. PS, i have looked in the workshop section at the lamp section but still cant see a reasonably priced one still in production.

but here's my progress on that so far, its only the base bit but i did that in one day without any proper measurements and i think it has turned out pretty well so far.

20170308_152455.jpg
i based the measurements off of this picture of PMCs lamp
pmc not lit lamp.jpg

I've left it too long so it can be positioned correctly in the box that it'll be sat in
Bren