Apr 20, 2024, 01:54 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Capaldi tardis

Started by brenk9carter, Jan 09, 2017, 03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Yeah, things were so much simpler in the days before the Internet--heck in the days before VHS!  The summer after 4th grade, my Dad retired and we moved to a farm that the farmer had retired and sold (most of the land went to government conservation and we got the buildings and 10 acres).  There was a little booth next to the chicken coop that was taller than it was wide, was more or less square, had a door, and some windows.  That was our TARDIS!  Regardless of that it was white with brown trim and pink shingles on the roof. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

barnacle

Your build is absolutely breathtaking, Bren!  I hope mine turns out somewhere near as well as yours...

brenk9carter

May 06, 2017, 08:35 pm #167 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:53 pm by brenk9carter
thank you all for the great comments, they really mean a lot  :D
So i guess my Tardis can actually be called a phone box now because i've completed the construction of the phone cubby
IMG_9358.JPG
IMG_9367.JPG
i made the whole box removable so i can open the left hand door all the way if i want to
IMG_9361.JPG
IMG_9362.JPG
IMG_9364.JPG
IMG_9368.JPG
the aluminium tabs on the door hold it in so to remove it all you have to do is lift it up a bit and pull it out.
it holds in very securely so i shouldn't think it'll fall out.
all i have to do now is paint it, complete the lamp and fit the electronics and she'll be finished
Bren

russellsuthern

Looking great!
I love your phone.
My only suggestion would be to make a little box for your phone to sit on, otherwise it does look a bit lost in that big hole.
Can't wait to see it finished!

Regards,

Russell

galacticprobe

May 06, 2017, 09:44 pm #169 Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:45 pm by galacticprobe
She's really looking great, Bren! And I know this is coming after the fact, but if you cut open the top of your phone cubby and cover it over with plexi/perspex, then the light you use to light the interior, which presumable lights the windows and POLICE BOX signs, will shine through and also light your Phone Panel sign when you have your phone cubby installed. It's also how real Police Boxes lit their Phone Panel signs.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Off topic, I like the bike.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Bob's your Uncle

I like the idea of a removable phone box.
Nice job.

Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

brenk9carter

May 07, 2017, 02:53 pm #172 Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:57 pm by brenk9carter
Quote from: russellsuthern on May 06, 2017, 09:12 pm
Looking great!
I love your phone.
My only suggestion would be to make a little box for your phone to sit on, otherwise it does look a bit lost in that big hole.

ooh good idea, ill have to do that now.
Quote from: galacticprobe on May 06, 2017, 09:44 pm
She's really looking great, Bren! And I know this is coming after the fact, but if you cut open the top of your phone cubby and cover it over with plexi/perspex, then the light you use to light the interior, which presumable lights the windows and POLICE BOX signs, will shine through and also light your Phone Panel sign when you have your phone cubby installed. It's also how real Police Boxes lit their Phone Panel signs.

Dino.

thanks Dino, the signs have their own lights in them and the windows will be lit up by one bright light in the middle so i could do what you suggested  :D
Quote from: volpone on May 07, 2017, 03:03 am

thanks, its my one :D
Bren

galacticprobe

May 08, 2017, 09:05 pm #173 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:06 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: volpone on May 07, 2017, 03:03 am

Not all that off-topic. Though while not strictly "Capaldi" (but going by "Doctors"), the 11th Doctor made use of a bike in "The Bells Of Saint John", and Clara used one in "The Day Of The Doctor". So this is... "semi" on topic. ;) :D

(I hope that makes you feel a little better, Other Steve!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

brenk9carter

May 14, 2017, 09:54 pm #174 Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:01 pm by brenk9carter
Something arrived the other day...
IMG_9394.JPG
i plan on putting it in the phone cubby above the phone.
it feels so great to own something from the actual propmakers from the show.
not much else has really been happening apart from the lamp is nearing completion, all i have left to do is make the cap and paint it.
Snapchat-1253453377.jpg
Bren

brenk9carter

May 19, 2017, 02:14 pm #175 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:31 pm by brenk9carter
Today the lamp was finished, i made the cap on the cnc lathe at the factory.
IMG_9410.JPG
it goes together like so:
the top of the lamp has a threaded bar screwed into it
IMG_9404.JPG
the main body sits down onto the top of the cap with a clearance hole for the threaded bar,
IMG_9406.JPG
then the top 'nipple' for lack of a better word has a tapped hole in it which screws onto the threaded bar and holds it all together.
IMG_9407.JPG
IMG_9408.JPG

i think it looks pretty much spot on
IMG_9399.JPG
Bren

barnacle

It's beautiful!  Almost a shame to paint it...

brenk9carter

May 19, 2017, 09:49 pm #177 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:52 pm by brenk9carter
another little update, i put the type 40 plaque in the phone box
IMG_9427.JPG
i don't think ill make a little box for the phone to sit on anymore as the sign makes it look less empty now
IMG_9429.JPG
IMG_9430.JPG
its held in with velcro so it can be removed if i want to.
Bren

galacticprobe

May 20, 2017, 06:36 am #178 Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:36 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: brenk9carter on May 19, 2017, 02:14 pm
then the top 'nipple' for lack of a better word...

The Series 1-4 lamp cap had what's been called a "nipple", Bren. It was just the nub with the hole in it for hanging the lamp by putting a ring through the hole.

The Series 5 on lamp cap doesn't have that. They chose to use the "bee hive"-looking part below the nipple instead. So we've been calling that part the "bee hive" part.

And you've done a smashing job with that lamp cap! I thought it was one piece. My eyeballs almost fell out when I saw the bee hive was a separate piece, and used as a finial to hold everything together. Your work is brilliant! And yes, it looks pretty well spot on!

Dino.

brenk9carter

May 31, 2017, 02:33 pm #179 Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:43 pm by brenk9carter
ooh its been a while since an update but i can now say that the lamp is blue.
IMG_9495.JPG
i haven't got round to casting the lens yet as i've been a bit busy with  other things recently but i will get round to it sometime in the near future
IMG_9498.JPG
the whole thing is pretty much as it should be so i imagine its fairly accurate, the only thing that is a bit off is the 4 struts which are bent outwards a bit which was necessary as when we made them we realised that they were a bit big so a little bend made them the right height, it doesn't actually bother me too much really as it adds a little uniqueness to my build.
i still need to properly put it together with some sealer on the joins so it'll be put on the roof after that's happened.IMG_9492.JPG
Bren