May 13, 2024, 02:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

GEMINITIMELORD's TARDIS

Started by geminitimelord, Aug 04, 2008, 03:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TWX

Making the entire thing out of concrete is probably unrealistic given the challenges of either pour-and-tilt or of setting up enough scaffolding to pour-in-place, but would a concrete roof cap help with a lot of this?  Or perhaps, concrete roof cap and concrete corners, with set channels for wood panels for the sides?

I'm debating having a sheet metal fabrication shop make a whole-roof-covering cap for mine; it doesn't rain more than about ten days a year here so water won't be too much of a challenge.  If you did a whole-roof cap, you could extend it down to the tops of the signs.

DoctorWho8

Put a hose over the trouble spots and maybe you can track down the leaks easier.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

geminitimelord

REACHING OUT TO ANYONE ON THIS BOARD WHO HAS THE ABILITY TO WORK PLASTICS AND CUTTING?

I am looking to make new windows out of white plastic, i have seen windows before cut perfectly out of white plastic. Anyone here capable of this?

The Signalman

You can buy sheets of perspex the correct size.

What size are your windows?

Volpone

Water is evilly pervasive. While battling it on my TARDIS, I'm also dealing with it on my garage roof which, in theory, should be a much simpler project.  The TARDIS seems almost designed to leak--possibly worse than a police box which at least has a steeper slope to its roof.  You're in Ohio, right?  I'd say your challenge is temperature fluctuation.  You do your caulking work in the summer when it is warm enough for the caulk and pleasant to work outside.  Then the temps drop, everything shrinks and pulls away from the silicone. 

Oregon doesn't have nearly as extreme a weather as where you're at and I still see around 1/8" of fluctuation on my wood garage door panels and wood siding.  At the height of summer the siding gains a narrow salmon-colored strip along the bottom edge where the siding has expanded past where I painted it.  (Actually, the garage door is more of a water issue, as the panels shrink in the summer--when they dry out--and expand in the winter as they absorb moisture.) 

I wonder if the solution is to clad the entire thing (or at least the top 1/4) in fiberglass.  Not that I have any idea how to do that.  Just thinking out loud. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

geminitimelord

Volpone, illinois on the iowa border here not ohio. Abd i agree about the shrinkage but having just sealed and painted her we havent had that temperature flux yet. So somehow between all the liquid rubber, paint and silicone a small hairline crack is allowing moisture to wick inside to the low corner, not enough to puddle but enough to wet the wood and eventually rot it out...

geminitimelord

Quote from: The Signalman on Nov 01, 2013, 06:54 pm
You can buy sheets of perspex the correct size.

What size are your windows?

I think you are confusing the question. I have the perspex windows with wooden stiles, i want to get a white hard plastic milled to spec to place over my perspex.

geminitimelord

Halloween and I tossed together a Quick 4th Doctor Outfit. Neighborhood Doctor Who Fan showed up with his 10th Doctor attempt and we had an 11th Doctor attempt as well. Not bad for being in the states and having limited resources. FYI It was Raining so my hair was soaking wet.

388.jpg
383.jpg
376.jpg378.jpg

geminitimelord

darktimelord

Benn admiring this TARDIS for a long time now and the rubberized coating looks great.  Always a big fan of old school TARDIS's and it's really a joy to see you labor of love get stronger and better throughout the years.  Keep in mind, no matter how much nature will punish this box, it's not the hardware store or skill that will keep this box going, it's love, and you've got it, brother!

geminitimelord

Well not the most exciting Update to the Diary but I did Manage to Fix the Gaps created in the Steps when I reassembled the Box. For some reason that I cannot Fathom since I never Changed the Roof and only the Corner Posts, which were built to the exact same specs as the originals, the Box on two sides expanded and left Gaps in the steps. Today I fitted new blocks that were not exactly perfect but close enough and then Caulk and Paint.

412.jpg
413.jpg

geminitimelord

I must post this photo only because I don't want the Close Up of the repair to be the Shot that appears in the Directory.

Plus it is just a nice shot :)
416.jpg

galacticprobe

Nov 10, 2013, 07:29 am #522 Last Edit: Nov 10, 2013, 07:30 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: geminitimelord on Nov 01, 2013, 06:50 pm
REACHING OUT TO ANYONE ON THIS BOARD WHO HAS THE ABILITY TO WORK PLASTICS AND CUTTING?

I am looking to make new windows out of white plastic, i have seen windows before cut perfectly out of white plastic. Anyone here capable of this?

Scott, the Old Girl is looking really great! You're doing a beyond fantastic job getting her back to rights again. And on that note, have you been able to find anyone to help you out with your above request yet? I keep asking, but in Arizona, my resources are limited.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

It is good to see the old girl mended  ;)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: geminitimelord on Nov 01, 2013, 06:50 pm

I do a fair bit of cutting plastics - the rotatory saw blades are not that expensive - my local Lowes and Home Depot carry them - the blades also cut plywood.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.