Apr 25, 2024, 01:32 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

GEMINITIMELORD's TARDIS

Started by geminitimelord, Aug 04, 2008, 03:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

geminitimelord

I guess what i need is a sheet of PVC, same stuff used in plumbing only flat. Preferably 1/4 inch thick. The windows i saw were cut with a water jet, would the blades you describe cut out each window individually as one piece making the tight corners?

warmcanofcoke

Nov 10, 2013, 04:30 pm #526 Last Edit: Nov 10, 2013, 04:31 pm by warmcanofcoke
You can cut them individually if you like - For Large Cuts the handheld circular saw works, for the smaller and more detailed cuts I recommend using a table saw. (don't remove the paper covering till after you have the cut you want.)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

How Many you looking to cut? All 48 windows? White pvc you said? I'll see what I have in the store room.

geminitimelord

I was looking to cut so i have 8 windows. Getting the inside cuts is ehat is near impossible without the right tool. I have heard water jet can cit but would need a large manufacturer. Table saw wont work except for the outside edges not the inside ones.

Volpone

Excuse me if this was obvious to everyone else, but I just realized, you don't want to cut the panes of "glass" out of white plastic, you want to cut the framing around the glass out of it.  Essentially, you want a mongrel white plastic tic-tac-toe board (having 6 spots for Xs & Os instead of 9).  Yes?
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Volpone

I wonder if 3D printing would be the way to go?
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

geminitimelord

Yes exactly i am looking at cutting a one piece frame to place over my existing clear frosted (sanded) acrylic windows as opposed to the wood i have now due to the fact these little painted wooden stiles quickly deteriorate in the weather.

But i am told it is expensive getting thise cuts. Problem however is i dont have a ball park on how expensive.  Besides expense is a relative term, some might think a thousand quid (bucks) for a blue box is expensive or relatively cheap if you consider the price of TPE boxes......plus DIY has better quality ;)

warmcanofcoke

oh - sorry thought you wanted windows =P

geminitimelord

LOL i should have specified Window Frame!

TWX

In your shoes, I'd roto-zip (spiral saw) the six window segments from a single piece of hardwood, or I'd have them made in metal with the glass put into them...

galacticprobe

Nov 12, 2013, 06:29 am #535 Last Edit: Nov 12, 2013, 06:32 am by galacticprobe
Scott, this just hit me (because I'm dense and didn't get that you were looking for frames - duh; I thought you were looking for a backing for your windows), but have you considered perusing the white plastic trim they have at home improvement places? You could build the window frames using the same technique you used before, only now you'd be working with plastic (or that imitation wood stuff) instead of real wood. The end result would be the same, but you would have frames that were already white, and wouldn't deteriorate, or need repainting.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

geminitimelord

i just might seek that out next trip to lowes. It might make the most economical sense. I have another former contributor that told me he had access to make some but that it was a bit costly, however that cost is still a mystery so i dont know yet if it is out of my budget or not,

On another note....nice avatar ;)

geminitimelord

Quote from: TWX on Nov 12, 2013, 04:57 am
In your shoes, I'd roto-zip (spiral saw) the six window segments from a single piece of hardwood, or I'd have them made in metal with the glass put into them...
can pvc sheets be roto zip? The frosted acrylic works great so i dont think i would go glass.

Volpone

I used that plastic moulding stuff for my window trim. Of course I don't have functioning windows with individual panes, let alone ones that open, but yeah.  And the stuff is easy to work with. You don't even need a saw to make the cuts--a sharp utility knife will do in a pinch.  I haven't tried it, but it might be possible to glue them with Krazy Glue--although I suspect that is too powerful and would just dissolve the mouldings instead of fusing them.
-The Doctor.

TWX

Many plastics can be cut in the same fashion as woods can be, it really just depends on how brittle it is.  The stuff they make light diffusers for fluorescent fixtures don't cut so well, but plastic decking material that replaces wood cuts with normal woodworking tools.