Jul 14, 2024, 01:40 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mandragora Corridors and the Boot Cupboard

Started by BeeblePete, Dec 01, 2011, 10:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeblePete

Dec 01, 2011, 10:51 pm Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011, 03:43 pm by petertheta
Sat between console rooms, seasons and eras of design are these corridors from the opening moments of the season 14 opener, The Masque of Mandragora. I'll have a crack at describing the remains of the junked control room flats. The doorways shown are new and never appeared again as far as I know.

Wouldn't it be great if someone was able to ID the photographic slide of the boot cupboard?

- Pete

The Doctor and Sarah enter from left. This shot is repeated after the next one and the pair exit right,
never entering the boot cupboard. Flats from left to right:
- double doorway
- six-column roundel wall
- single doorway
- four-column roundel wall #1
VTS_02_1-0.jpg

- doorway with superimposed photo slide and real boots
- four-column roundel wall
VTS_02_1-1.jpg

The Doctor and Sarah enter from behind the foreground flat, pause to speak
and exit left in front of the foreground flat.
These are mostly the same flats, pretending to be an entirely different corridor.
- two-column foreground flat
- four-column roundel wall #2
- single doorway with door closed
- four-column roundel wall #1
VTS_02_1-3.jpg

The previous shot is held for a couple of moments after the pair exit so this next location is at least
several yards down the corridor. The stained glass roundel door opens by Sarah's hand and
the Doctor passes by from right to left before returning to see what she's found.
Ignoring what she's found, we see a
- four-column roundel wall.
VTS_02_1-4.jpg

Rassilons Rod

I've just noticed that the it's the same handle on the back of the doors in both the last two pics. I can't remember now, but is that door in the penultimate picture the one Lis goes through to discover the secondary control room, or is that on another cut shot?

I know the roundel isn't visible on the penultimate photo, but I'm not entirely sure that it's not there.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

BeeblePete

Dec 02, 2011, 03:55 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011, 05:06 pm by petertheta
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 02, 2011, 10:46 am
Same handle on the ... doors in both the last two pics.
I know the roundel isn't visible on the penultimate photo, but I'm not entirely sure that it's not there.

The two doors in question are presented as being far apart; I've added stage directions to the pics above to help clarify. The door in the corridor set certainly didn't have any stained glass:

VTS_02_1-3a.jpg

But as we've seen for thirteen years the DW team are very ecological :) Unless facts come to light contradicting, I can imagine the corridors and control room being shot at different times. If so, it could technically be a reused and refitted piece of scenery. That would mean the same door plays three roles inside the same minute of screen time.

Arguing the opposite side, I'm sure the BBC budget ran to a couple of matching doorknobs!

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

BeeblePete

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 02, 2011, 05:59 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NqLaxZqN0

Ah, Mr Orton of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Daleks fame :) very interesting imagining of the corridor. Hasn't he done some stuff for the classic DVD range?

Speaking of Hitchhikers, I was listening to the '93 Shada today and wondered: has anyone ever tried to sketch out the corridor directions Romana gave to Chris Parsons?

DoctorWho8

Oh I found this cutie too.  And it's a bit on topic as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i296aS_rJKI&feature=related
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Dec 03, 2011, 07:53 am #6 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2011, 07:54 am by galacticprobe
Has anyone seen these? (The first vid is impressive; what a playset that would make. And a brief shot of the secondary console is near the end of the second vid, and that vid is kind of cute.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkzD40kLEJI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=l82OCNpgKbQ

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

greatwazoo42

I love this sort of stuff.  Thank you all for posting these links.