May 19, 2024, 01:33 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

JW Tardis

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Nov 11, 2017, 07:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deafeningsilence

For a second, I thought "Ooh, the woman in front of all the Thirteen cosplayers has a really accurate costume. I wonder how she put it together?" And then I realized it was Jodie in costume. Whoops!

Kingpin

Some more good shots from the event, via flickr:

44890724181_d24ddbdf5a_o.jpg
44170019944_04aa5cf564_ob.jpg

Close-up of the lamp:
Lamp.jpg

And the phone panel:
Phone_Panel.jpg
-It does appear to be pressed metal.

And some more construction photos:
44169972824_c867426936_o.jpg

Déjà Vu, where's the ninth Doctor?
31017063698_0198f6e6c2_o.jpg

And it wouldn't be a TARDISBuilders gallery without a stepladder:
44890654951_2c9b03e2d6_o.jpg

Roof and doors:
Roof.jpg

Right click on them to see the larger images.

ThymeLorde

Great photos, Kingpin! I love how you can see the paint rubbing off on the close up of the lamp. Has the forum positively ID'd the lamp yet? I seem to remember there being some discussion about it being a DIY build with a tiki lamp and a plasma globe, but if it wasn't disproven before, your photos definitely show it to be wrong now.
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

Scarfwearer

Sep 24, 2018, 09:51 pm #243 Last Edit: Sep 24, 2018, 10:07 pm by Scarfwearer
Well indeed.

It looks like we've learned several new things from these new pics:

JW-construction.jpg

* we have a lot closer look at the lamp

* The mounting for the lamp is a large square peg that drops into a square hole in the roof to hold the lamp in place. Simple and elegant.

* The PROPS 3 box has the legend: "LED light panels for windows on tardis police box" written on it, so these are clearly removed and stored separately when not needed.

* The windows are separate and made of clear(ish) fluted glass. The whiteness is from the light panels behind them.

* The Police Telephone door does indeed appear to be ajar, so must open...

It's taken a long time to give up some of these secrets... we still don't know with any certainty how tall the doors are. :D

tony farrell

Whilst I have no interest in this box, for the sake of providing information to those that have, here are a couple more pictures from tonight's press launch:

image (1).jpg
image.jpg

T

ThymeLorde

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Sep 24, 2018, 09:51 pm
JW-construction.jpg
* The mounting for the lamp is a large square peg that drops into a square hole in the roof to hold the lamp in place. Simple and elegant.

Perhaps not as quite as simple as one would think. In multiple photos, especially the ones on the red carpet, the lamp appears to be crooked. Could this be due to the assembly not slotting in properly, or the lamp itself being damaged? 7B80D16B-5D02-4EB4-A0C0-CB61A80C7DA3.jpeg9BE06BBF-8B90-4B23-B92D-D4B142F98B8A.jpegC8C3B853-E297-44F3-A8CC-C6793057DFAD.jpeg

Angelus Lupus

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but:
To my eyes, the top signs are no longer 'white text on black, with a light behind' but rather 'black with the text cut out, with the (diffuse) light behind'

Also I think this is the best look we've had of the PTO handle, where we can actually see the screws
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

deafeningsilence

And we have positive confirmation that the PTO sign has mitred corners!

galacticprobe

Sep 25, 2018, 06:19 am #248 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2018, 10:54 am by Scarfwearer
Quote from: ThymeLorde on Sep 24, 2018, 09:37 pm
Great photos, Kingpin!

Great photos indeed, Kingpin, and ThymeLorde!

I love how you can see the paint rubbing off on the close up of the lamp.

Well, while I may not like this design, she just wouldn't be "The TARDIS" without some peeling paint somewhere! ;D

Has the forum positively ID'd the lamp yet?

There are a few possibles, or at least close lookalikes. (Discussion on that in here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8429.0.)

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Sep 24, 2018, 09:51 pm

Very Classic Series TARDIS with the low-profile lamp base (Brachacki), while keeping with the Colin Richmond-Ed Thomas (Refurb, Series 5-6) "insert square peg into square hole" assembly method: a mix of old and new. Brilliant!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ThymeLorde

Kingpin, would you mind posting the link to the Flickr page you got the photos from? I'd like to save the photos as reference but the forum won't let me save them.

Angelus Lupus

Kingpin

Quote from: ThymeLorde on Sep 25, 2018, 02:13 pm
Kingpin, would you mind posting the link to the Flickr page you got the photos from? I'd like to save the photos as reference but the forum won't let me save them.

Sure:

Roof and Doors
"Father's Day"
Assembly
Stepladder
Phone panel
Roof line and lamp
"Full box" shot

bjones

Sep 26, 2018, 01:26 am #252 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018, 05:10 pm by bjones
Thanks for all those incredible reference shots. Clearly the two filming Tardises were in Sheffield. The South African/Sheffield Flats location one was parked outside Sheffield Station, identified by the crossed scratches on the plinth beneath the front doors, its unpainted pull to open panel hinges and the distinctive knot in the right upright post as you look at it by the window. The one outside the premiere cinema with the wonky lamp, lacks the plinth scratches, has painted pull to open panel hinges, and its own distinctive knot shape on the kick plate of the right opening door. Let the "spot which Tardis was used in which episode" games begin :)

Bx

dragonfrosting

I assume the interior-side of the windows are designed for the backlights to be held in place instead of simply being built-in, anyone know what those brass fixings are at the tops of the window frames?

exterior_interior.png

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: bjones on Sep 26, 2018, 01:26 am
Let the "spot which Tardis was used in which episode" games begin :)

Bx

Don't forget whatever unique markings are on the (as yet unseen) set doors!  ;D

Nice to see the wiring with all the quick-clip connectors. Shows they've really thought about how to make it easy to repair/replace parts.