Apr 26, 2024, 11:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

JW Tardis

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Nov 11, 2017, 07:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWitch

The brass clasps arenfor the windows to be opened on a hinge.

phillbarron

Quote from: dragonfrosting on Sep 26, 2018, 10:28 am
I assume the interior-side of the windows are designed for the backlights to be held in place instead of simply being built-in, anyone know what those brass fixings are at the tops of the window frames?

exterior_interior.png

I think they're called something like 'transom window latches'.

bjones

Sep 26, 2018, 11:58 pm #257 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018, 11:59 pm by bjones
The opening right door has a central divider behind it with a notch for the door latch mechanism. The Pull to open door has no central divider which makes me think this is attached separately to possibly avoid damage from being rested on it??? Yet the opening door has one attached... Hmmmm.

Bx

Roof.jpg

dragonfrosting

Quote from: bjones on Sep 26, 2018, 11:58 pm
The opening right door has a central divider behind it with a notch for the door latch mechanism. The Pull to open door has no central divider which makes me think this is attached separately to possibly avoid damage from being rested on it??? Yet the opening door has one attached... Hmmmm.

It's still attached if you look closely at the top and bottom - the angle of the shot as well as the lighting just makes it blend in with the rest of the door. However, this is good confirmation that the doors also have a centered divider plank on the inside like the other inner walls do. Loving these event photos.

galacticprobe

Sep 27, 2018, 04:47 am #259 Last Edit: Sep 27, 2018, 04:47 am by galacticprobe
And just to dispel any doubts, here's a cropped image from the original-sized photo:
LeftDoorWithPhonePanel.jpg
Sharpened a little, lightened some, and the center divide on the left door is clearly visible. (You'll probably have to right-click on the image and open it in a new tab or window to see it full size. Seriously, this one is huge!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

bjones

I stand corrected. I wasn't completely sure it wasn't there and clearly it is. Nice the the other door has an opposite divider to seat it more stably shut.

Bx

Kingpin

Quote from: RazzaMataz on Sep 26, 2018, 01:45 pm
The brass clasps arenfor the windows to be opened on a hinge.

In looking at design of the windows, there isn't any visible hinging.  Meanwhile, if we assume they are there to allow the windows to open, that only leaves a small mounting block beneath the windows to hold the lighting elements in place, which doesn't seem a very reliable method of keeping them in place.

I appreciate there is that one shot from that event where a power cable is seen going into a window, but I believe that "opening" was bodged, and not a planned design.  I believe the windows aren't actually hinged, and the clasps are there to hold the lighting elements in place.

dragonfrosting

Sep 28, 2018, 08:49 am #262 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 08:58 am by dragonfrosting
Quote from: Kingpin on Sep 28, 2018, 07:41 am
I believe the windows aren't actually hinged, and the clasps are there to hold the lighting elements in place.

Based on how much larger the inner side of the window frame is, I believe there's enough room for their hinges to be hidden between the frame and the inner wall. I couldn't possibly guess how they secure the lighting effects but the event photo you reference does imply that the window can be angled and still hold the lighting panel in place, so I think they have a sturdy securing method that we haven't seen yet.

I searched up the brass clasps (transom latches) and they are indeed for windows. I initially thought they were for mounting as well but confirming their purpose and taking their placement into account supports the opening window functionality. As for the power cable theory, I think of it as they were taking advantage of the openable windows to get direct electrical access to the inside since they'd need to put in extra effort to remove a built-in window and make it appear hinged from the bottom nonetheless.

I'm sure a lot of classic series aficionados already know this - the TARDIS did actually used to have opening windows so I'm adamant about the redesigned box bringing back this feature.

Kingpin

Sep 28, 2018, 05:42 pm #263 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2018, 05:43 pm by Kingpin
Quote from: dragonfrosting on Sep 28, 2018, 08:49 amI searched up the brass clasps (transom latches) and they are indeed for windows.

Though that doesn't mean that's what they've been employed for in this instance.

DV7xkQ1XUAExQBp.jpg
IMG_20180216_131231.jpg

The first shot isn't the clearest, but the latter shows that the transom latches are visible above the light panels.

I believe the full-resolution version of this photo:

44890654951_2c9b03e2d6_o.jpg
Full resolution link

-reveals a notable gap between the transom latch and the inside window frame, with a section of the latch falling far enough to provide a support/brace for the light panels.

I believe that photo also shows there's no hinging on the windows.

DWg5qKwWsAE_4Tw.jpg

At the moment, my theory's that the window was popped out at the top of the window recess without it being designed to hinge, and is possibly leaning against something that's stopping it from falling in entirely (probably not the transom latch though, due to the depth of the angle).

mverta

I don't watch the new series, I'm just curious: Is the TARDIS Police Box exterior no longer supposed to be based on a hand-made object from 20th-Century England? 

_Mike

dragonfrosting

Sep 28, 2018, 08:28 pm #265 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 07:47 am by dragonfrosting
Quote from: Kingpin on Sep 28, 2018, 05:42 pm
Though that doesn't mean that's what they've been employed for in this instance.

The first shot isn't the clearest, but the latter shows that the transom latches are visible above the light panels.

I believe the full-resolution version of this photo reveals a notable gap between the transom latch and the inside window frame, with a section of the latch falling far enough to provide a support/brace for the light panels.

I believe that photo also shows there's no hinging on the windows.

At the moment, my theory's that the window was popped out at the top of the window recess without it being designed to hinge, and is possibly leaning against something that's stopping it from falling in entirely (probably not the transom latch though, due to the depth of the angle).

No, it appears that the panels have an "x" shape which hugs the corners of the frame while not covering the edges including the top the panel fits squarely within the window, the latches are still visibly attached only to the outer edge of the frame. You can see the color difference between the gray frame and the bright white panel in both photos. I don't see any gap, it looks to me that it's attached to the top of the frame and latch opens upward into the main component on the wall above. They are indeed transom latches and I don't see how they could be used in any other way, their design isn't for clamping down, I could illustrate this all later to explain my reasoning further.

Moreover, I really don't think it's a matter of being able to visibly see hinges, if I'm correct about it being completely hidden between the inner wall and the frame then someone would have to peer into the gap and snap a photo while the window's open to prove that they're there. Sure they're not as obvious as the ones for the Pull to Open sign, but that doesn't imply that there aren't any. I'm not refuting the propping-open theory so much as trying to explain that there isn't any simpler way to get a power cable inside than to open a window already made to do so.

Sorry, but I believe there's just a lot more evidence pointing towards opening windows. I would agree that we still need more proof, though.

galacticprobe

Sep 29, 2018, 06:25 am #266 Last Edit: Sep 29, 2018, 06:43 am by galacticprobe
I don't know if this will help with the "Do they, or don't they?" opening windows question, but here's a crop from the original (mega-huge) images of the TARDIS insides - without the lighting in the windows (i.e. the "Father's Day" pose...):
Windows-Insides.jpg

Windows-Insides-02.jpg
(...and being assembled - with a tech's head blocking part of the view.)
Lightened to bring out more detail in both. (I didn't want to lighten the first one too much, but that second one was light enough so I used just a little lightening). Again you'll have to open these in a new tab or window to see them full size.

I'm curious about those little "blocks" at the bottom of the windows. One of them (front window on the left) is twisted down on one side. Are these things able to twist up to hold the bottoms of the window lights in place? And is there enough room between those blocks and the windows and their light units to allow the windows to open without needing a hinge on the bottom; that is, gravity and the angle of the open window holding the frame against the recess in the walls for them?

And one thing I noticed - conspicuous by its absence - is a method of holding an open window at that angle: no chains, no hinged braces (folding arms and such, like on the Brachacki (Hartnell) Original TARDIS); nothing other than the dangling cables for power to the light units. I doubt they'd leave things to chance and only have the power cables hold the windows open, so there must be some way of stopping the windows from falling flat open, if they do indeed open (other than just to run that cable at the aforementioned event). The question is, if the windows do open, what sort of bracing mechanism holds them in place?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

dragonfrosting

Sep 29, 2018, 08:11 am #267 Last Edit: Sep 29, 2018, 08:32 am by dragonfrosting
I asked the man himself and he's confirmed that the windows do open, "They can open in the same way as the windows of police boxes did."
Source: https://twitter.com/arwelwjones/status/1045903274203914240

So that answers that big question, as for the means of holding the window open I see something to the side of the window hidden behind the cables (another one present on the opposite side if you look closely). It almost resembles a chain but I'm not so certain about what it is yet:

chain?.png

The rectangular cubes at the bottom of the windows are most likely for holding the white panels in place since they seem to be rotated when the panels are in the frames.

Kingpin

It's with more than a bit of humble pie that I admit my understanding of how transom latches work was deeply wrong.  I thought the way they were mounted that you'd pull them upward to "unlock".

While I'm still not convinced at this stage that there's any hinge on the windows, it's hard to argue when Arwel Wyn Jones himself says they open like those on a Police Box.

timewomble

Hello,

Quote from: dragonfrosting on Sep 28, 2018, 08:28 pm
No, it appears that the panels have an "x" shape which hugs the corners of the frame while not covering the edges including the top, the latches are still visibly attached only to the window frame itself. You can see the color difference between the gray frame and the bright white panel in both photos.

Looking at the pictures, I don't think this is an "x" shaped panel. I think it's a white rectangular panel which has those grey parts wrapped/folded over it.

- Peter.