News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

JW Tardis

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Nov 11, 2017, 07:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonfrosting

Sep 29, 2018, 10:20 pm #270 Last Edit: Sep 29, 2018, 10:25 pm by dragonfrosting
Quote from: timewomble on Sep 29, 2018, 09:37 pm
Looking at the pictures, I don't think this is an "x" shaped panel. I think it's a white rectangular panel which has those grey parts wrapped/folded over it.

Good catch. That was my bad, I mistook the gray edges as part of the frame - the outer frame remains uncovered so the panel isn't an odd shape and just sits squarely within the window; the transom latches stay bolted in place at the top of the frame as well.

galacticprobe

Sep 30, 2018, 05:06 am #271 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 10:07 am by The14thDr
Quote from: Kingpin on Sep 29, 2018, 04:35 pm
It's with more than a bit of humble pie that I admit my understanding of how transom latches work was deeply wrong.  I thought the way they were mounted that you'd pull them upward to "unlock".

I've seen both types of transom latches, Kingpin: the kind you describe, and ones that were attached to the transom frame and needed to be pulled down to unlock them. So there are more than one kind of latch (or maybe just that some are mounted upside-down, depending on what sort of transom they're being used on).

The door-width transom above my barracks door when I was in electronics school had the latch mounted on the transom; you pulled it down to unlock it and then used it like a handle to pull the transom open (in this case, inward like a Police Box window), but my transom was roughly 3 feet wide and 1.5 feet tall, made from a heavy wood frame with 8 panes of glass (4 across, 2 down) and was held in place with a small chain on either side... which both would occasionally snap in the middle of the night letting the transom slam down against my door with a thunderous "BADOOM!"; I'd spliced those chains so many times that when I graduated 9 months later, the transom opened about 8 inches less than it did when I first started! (My guess is that when one of the chains failed, the torque on the transom and its weight was too much for the other chain which caused that one's weak link to fail as well.)

The TARDIS window transom latches look just like the one on my barracks door, but mounted on the TARDIS wall rather than on the window frame (so upside-down from the one on my door), due to the window frame's size. So in this case one would indeed pull the latch up to unlock it.

Therefor, no ingestion of humble pie needed. :)

Quote from: timewomble on Sep 29, 2018, 09:37 pm
Looking at the pictures, I don’t think this is an “x” shaped panel. I think it’s a white rectangular panel which has those grey parts wrapped/folded over it.

At the risk of seeming dim once again, could someone please point this out for me? I've been looking for this and haven't seen it anywhere.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

phillbarron

Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 30, 2018, 05:06 am

The TARDIS window transom latches look just like the one on my barracks door, but mounted on the TARDIS wall rather than on the window frame (so upside-down from the one on my door), due to the window frame's size. So in this case one would indeed pull the latch up to unlock it.

Are they not mounted on a protruding bit of the window frame?  It looks to me like the latch plate is above so you'd pull down to unlock.

dragonfrosting

Sep 30, 2018, 09:45 am #273 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 11:14 am by dragonfrosting
Quote from: galacticprobe on Sep 30, 2018, 05:06 am
At the risk of seeming dim once again, could someone please point this out for me? I've been looking for this and haven't seen it anywhere.

Here's a crop of the photo with the best view of the panels:

panels.png

And here's an edit that better distinguishes the panel (red) and the outermost part of the window frame (yellow):

panels2.png

I didn't look at the photo well enough the first time so I assumed the panels had an "x" shape but they do have gray metal edges.
Diagram of how I currently believe the windows work:

diagram.png

Still uncertain about the hinges, they're there somewhere.

Kingpin

Brackets.jpg

Mounting brackets for the window frames?

phillbarron

Quote from: dragonfrosting on Sep 30, 2018, 09:45 am
Diagram of how I currently believe the windows work:

diagram.png

Still uncertain about the hinges, they're there somewhere.

I think you're right about the hinge placement - why would they be brackets if the windows move?

Not sure you've got the transom latches the right way up though. They look a bit like these ones to me:

r-09hu-pbflcx.jpg

I think the latching plate is above the latch and the latch itself is fixed to the top of the window frame. So you pull down to open the window and the latch (and the block it's mounted on) moves with the window.

dragonfrosting

Sep 30, 2018, 08:43 pm #276 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 10:20 pm by dragonfrosting
Mmm yeah, I had changed my mind about what type of transom latch it was since the outer part of the frame by itself is too thin for the latch, but then that would have obviously put the ring on the top so that's another error on my part. Totally new to transom latches, this is the version was referencing:

transom.jpg

Therefore the blue block in the left side of the diagram that I thought was part of the wall must actually be part of the window, the main part of the transom latch would be bolted onto the frame (locking upward) with the flat metal part on the underside of the wood above, as I first thought. Will fix my diagram later.

timewomble

Sep 30, 2018, 10:38 pm #277 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 10:51 pm by timewomble
Just found an extra close shot of the panel on Twitter. Again, confirmation that it is pressed metal, and - according to Derren Fereday - hand painted and heavy.

25BB7235-66D1-433D-B6A0-206B77CAC114.jpeg

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/Redheadedchinny/status/1044536312097898496

galacticprobe

Oct 01, 2018, 04:41 am #278 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2018, 04:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: phillbarron on Sep 30, 2018, 08:41 am
Are they not mounted on a protruding bit of the window frame?  It looks to me like the latch plate is above so you'd pull down to unlock.

I went back and looked at those window (transom) latches again (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8151.msg114200#msg114200), and I see the "protruding bit of the window frame" you're talking about. Initially, I thought that blue block above the window frame was where the latch was mounted, and the block was part of the TARDIS wall; but upon closer inspection (especially on the side views where the tech is working on something and the side behind him) it's clear that the latch is mounted onto the window frame, and that blue block is an extension of the window frame. The latch's "locking ring" is above this on the TARDIS wall; so you're correct, Phill, and it does look like these latches do pull down to unlock the windows.

And, good eyes spotting those "mounting brackets" under the window frames, Kingpin. (I'd call those the windows' hinges.)

Quote from: timewomble on Sep 30, 2018, 10:38 pm
Just found an extra close shot of the panel on Twitter. Again, confirmation that it is pressed metal, and - according to Derren Fereday - hand painted and heavy.

Whoa! Great close-up on that! Thanks for posting it, Peter. I wonder, since this is so heavy, if they've got any vac-formed or pressed plastic versions of this sign for use as a "stunt" panel if needed. (I also wonder why they didn't make one using the same method as they did for the Series 5 sign, and just paint it to look like metal. It would have been one piece, with raised letters, but a much lighter weight plastic of sorts.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

TheWitch

Angelus Lupus

Some pretty good images there! Really shows off the texture.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

willbrooks1989

The box pictured above (currently on display in the reception at Television Centre) is a promotional replica made by the team at This Planet Earth. I wonder if we'll be seeing some more of these promo boxes?

W

Angelus Lupus

Oct 04, 2018, 04:26 pm #282 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2018, 04:55 pm by Angelus Lupus
I wonder if This Planet Earth could tell us what the font is on the FREE FOR USE part of the sign? I've been straining my eyes trying to find one that matches everything (including the &)
Either their detective skills surpass this forum (and that's saying something) or they've be able to get up close to examine/ask for details, because their lamp and signs are spot on! ( I do see a tiny difference in the PTO handle, tho)

Edit: Actually - looking at the images closely - I'm actually seeing two different PTO handles! Pesumably because two boxes were in place for the promo? Anyway, the TPE handle matches one of them, so the question is: were both boxes at the Red Carpet event actual filming props or was (at least) one a TPE stand-in?
Pic: (both apparently from the same event) The TPE handle matches the one on the right

Image13.png

Kingpin

Oct 04, 2018, 05:41 pm #283 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2018, 05:43 pm by Kingpin
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Oct 04, 2018, 04:26 pm
I wonder if This Planet Earth could tell us what the font is on the FREE FOR USE part of the sign? I've been straining my eyes trying to find one that matches everything (including the &)

Assuming they weren't supplied some materials for the Beeb, such as the door panel sign.

Didn't lofiscifi already identify some pretty close matches to the AWJ phone panel fonts here? http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=306.msg114185#msg114185
They thought the:

QuoteFREE FOR USE OF PUBLIC
ADVICE & ASSISTANCE
OBTAINABLE IMMEDIATELY

OFFICERS & CARS
RESPOND TO
URGENT CALLS

-was Estrangelo Edessa.

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: Kingpin on Oct 04, 2018, 05:41 pm

Didn't lofiscifi already identify some pretty close matches to the AWJ phone panel fonts....They thought...Estrangelo Edessa.

It's a weird one... a search for 'Estrangelo Edessa' mostly seems to get you a font of symbols, but there's also one that very nearly matches the text, but not the ampersand.  ???