Apr 16, 2024, 10:39 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

New Capaldi Sonic

Started by handofomega, Dec 01, 2015, 03:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pmc

A bit Steampunky perhaps, suits the doctors Victoriana look. Doesn't look as slick as the last one, cant imagine him doing any cleaver twirly tricks with it like Matt Smith was prone to do. The cynical side of me does think "OOooooooo lets make a new sonic and exploit that sonic cash-cow" but hey.

Angelus Lupus

Certainly interesting, not sure on the rotating lights and all the extra bits on the surface. I'll wait until I've seen it in action (or until I can pick up a toy one in a store for a better look) to see if this one will win me over. But for now I'll say the 10th (Tennant) Doctor's sonic is still my favourite.
*picks up TWC Sonic remote and flicks it on*  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Dec 06, 2015, 06:56 pm #47 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2015, 07:17 pm by galacticprobe
It does look like it would be uncomfortable to hold, and maybe that's the whole point of it: so the Doctor only pulls it out and uses it when he needs to, rather than using it for a torch/flashlight, or any other generic "tricorder-esque" things. We'll have to wait and see. Peter Capaldi did say in the video (and thank you David for posting that!) that he had suggested some things for the design, so obviously he is happy with how it turned out. As for bits on it not being "pocket friendly" - I'd guess no more pocket friendly than the extending "claws" of the last version. (And remember they give the Doctor's jackets/coats pockets with very large openings, so it's probably not an issue.)

I do like the blue color, much like the 9th/10th Doctor's was. (And it probably helps the SFX team when they're working with the green screen to have the sonic light up blue rather than green.) The rotating light effect? Sort of reminds me of the Jupiter 2's engine lights from the 1960s 'Lost In Space' TV series, which was one of my favorite shows back then. And it gives the sonic that feel of "it's doing something" a little more than it did by just having the tip light up. (But when you consider the Classic Series' sonics for the 3rd-8th Doctors didn't light up at all - to say nothing of those stupid sonic sunglasses - even just a plain light showed you the sonic was doing something.)

Like a few people, I'm on the fence about this one; but then I never really liked the "steam punkish" 8th Doctor sonic until I followed Oblivion's build for that one. Then I just wanted someone to release it like Underground Toys did with "The Other Doctor"'s (War Doctor's) sonic so I could add that one to my collection since I am, as I've made mention before, a "sonic junkie". (I'm still hoping someone will release that one since it's featured in the Big Finish Audio Adventures, and on the cover art for them.) So I'll see how this new 12th Doctor sonic fairs in the Christmas Special before I decide one way or the other.

And it's certainly a marketing ploy: cynical or not, they do spell it "a new $onic $crewdriver". ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Fardels Bear

Love the new one!  I never liked Matt Smith's, so never bought one.  I'll buy this though! ;D
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

eddyc

So, I'm looking at all of the pictures and drawings of the new Sonic and I see something familiar.

Back in 2013 I lathed a piece of Aluminum for a project I was working on.

IMG_0590.JPG

Little did I know a was making a part for the new sonic.  :D

12 end peice.JPG

gambit410

You know with those grabby arms at the side i wonder if it going to have changeable tips...

galacticprobe

Dec 08, 2015, 04:25 am #51 Last Edit: Dec 08, 2015, 04:25 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: eddyc on Dec 07, 2015, 01:56 pm
Back in 2013 I lathed a piece of Aluminum for a project I was working on.

Little did I know a was making a part for the new sonic.  :D

Eddyc, you were always ahead of your time! (Or is it that you are on time, but just come back a few years once you've seen the future and gotten some great ideas from there? ;) ;D)

Quote from: gambit410 on Dec 07, 2015, 06:16 pm
You know with those grabby arms at the side i wonder if it going to have changeable tips...

Now that is a very interesting idea, and one that I look forward to finding out!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Angelus Lupus

Dec 09, 2015, 12:23 am #52 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2015, 06:11 pm by Angelus Lupus
Quote from: gambit410 on Dec 07, 2015, 06:16 pm

I think it would be interesting to have a sonic with swappable heads. Remember when Pertwee took the head off his sonic to add a spinning mirror so he could hypnotise the Monster of Peladon? Well, what if you could swap heads between one that pointed in the direction of the screwdriver (like Docs 2, 9, 10 and 11) and one that was at 90° (like Docs 3, 4, 5 and 8)?
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

oslm

Dec 09, 2015, 04:37 am #53 Last Edit: Dec 09, 2015, 04:40 am by oslm
I like the new version, a nice mix of Smith's and the Master's laser sonic.

12th%20Sonic%201_zpsememrf90.jpg

Makes an interesting 3D model as well.

Later

Oslm

childofgallifrey

Without those clunky claw bits, it looks really quite nice and streamlined...
Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things, and other people come along and break them.~The 2nd Doctor

superrichi1a

Your 3D model looks better than the actual prop... Sleek and functional :)

From what I understand Capaldi was the driving force behind the new screwdriver, he doesn't feel comfortable using all Smith's equipment so much as Smith made it his own.
I've also started to notice weird anomalies - some of the props are completely blue and brass whereas others have the silver steel sections. I do wonder why?
The LED inside, I'm pretty sure, is also a colour change one that can be pulsed through most shades and brightnesses.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

oslm

Thanks Childofgallifrey & superrichi1a for the comments  ;D -- I do think that the small claws tend to make it look a bit more like Smith's, so I guess that goes towards established styles.

But anyway, here is a couple of different revised renders I've done of the sonic.

12th%20Sonic%202_zpsrnplhuid.jpg

And

12th%20Sonic%203_zpskcrygg3o.jpg

Later

Oslm

Vale

Quote from: oslm on Dec 09, 2015, 04:37 am
I like the new version, a nice mix of Smith's and the Master's laser sonic.

12th%20Sonic%201_zpsememrf90.jpg

Makes an interesting 3D model as well.

Later

Oslm

Excellent model - in fact almost TOO good, it makes the screwdriver look better the other way round, with the bottom cap as the business end!

elkad

Quote from: rob49152 on Dec 06, 2015, 09:54 am
12269720_1669258356653676_57306505_n.jpg

From this image it looks if the emitter has acyclic rods, with a center disk with pilot holes & side panels to hold it together, (Or acyclic rods around a center blue rod.) The acrylic rods peek threw the top of the screwdriver slightly. (how many emitter lights are their, 3, 4, 5,?

galacticprobe

Dec 10, 2015, 11:31 pm #59 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015, 11:36 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: superrichi1a on Dec 09, 2015, 03:07 pm
From what I understand Capaldi was the driving force behind the new screwdriver...

There's an interview with Capaldi somewhere on YouTube (just a short one) where he shows off the new sonic, and he does admit to having been involved with the design, giving lots of input on it.

...some of the props are completely blue and brass whereas others have the silver steel sections. I do wonder why?

Well, not sure on the brass and silver steel bits, but my guess on the blue is because they work a lot with green screen for inserting the CGI stuff, and the old green of the 11th Doctor sonic vanished against the green screen (which is probably why in some scenes, the emitter light looked blue; they may have needed a "stunt" sonic with a blue light and emitter so it wouldn't conflict with the green screen and it ignoring everything green). With this "new blue" design there shouldn't be a problem with the green screen filming.

The LED inside, I'm pretty sure, is also a colour change one that can be pulsed through most shades and brightnesses.

I wonder if we'll see any of that in the Christmas Special. ???

Dino.