News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Oak TARDIS Time Cabinet

Started by kutan66, Apr 18, 2019, 07:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kutan66

Nov 15, 2019, 08:57 pm #105 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2019, 08:59 pm by kutan66
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Nov 15, 2019, 12:49 am

To comment specifically on Ian/Kutan's topic - I sincerely hope that that the near completion of your oak Tardis won't mean you stepping away from Tardis Builders. I really do admire your wood-working skills and I hope that you'll consider making some other props to showcase your undoubted talents.

T

Quote from: russellsuthern on Nov 15, 2019, 09:12 am
Great work!

Well done for getting into DWM,  Is that the latest issue?

Btw:  An all oak Dalek might look rather nice.... ;)

Regards,

Russell

Thank you both.   I will of course continue to pop in here and see what's happening.  I've always liked the solid design on the Police Box, so I'll be particularly looking out for pics other people's box builds, and of course pictures of TARDI in the snow!

And the Oak Tardis pic is the new issue of DWM - (the one with the awful football related cover!)

An Oak Dalek does sound like an awful amount of work!   Out of real work hours, I think I'll be sticking to doing very little for a while!

Davros Skaro

You've done beautiful work on your Tardis, those mirrors add a lot of effect to it as well, clever thinking there!  ;)

You'll have to let us know what any visitors think when they visit as seeing that sitting there I'm sure they'll have plenty of comments & praise about it.

Chris.
Chris.

kutan66

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Nov 15, 2019, 11:53 pm
You've done beautiful work on your Tardis, those mirrors add a lot of effect to it as well, clever thinking there!  ;)

Thank you!   The mirrors thing wasn't something I thought to do initially.  Can't recall now when I did think about it.   But when I was mentioning it to a model maker/engineer, he said that when they proposed new ships, they used to just make a half model and mount it on a mirror.  And this would save on the model making costs.    Indeed making half a TARD was a lot cheaper than making a full one.. and saved a lot of time.. and also saved a lot of space in the house!

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Nov 15, 2019, 11:53 pm
You'll have to let us know what any visitors think when they visit as seeing that sitting there I'm sure they'll have plenty of comments & praise about it.

Chris.

We don't tend to get many visitors, but people who have seen it have had to give it a stroke!   Most though don't appreciate the whole Dr Who thing as we do.  I *may* have asked a couple of girls if they'd like a ride in my Police Box..  Not too much room in there though - especially with the phone 'box' bit on the inside!

Volpone

HA!  I hadn't even noticed the mirrors!  Now I can't not see them.  Brilliant.  A few years back someone posted a model TARDIS in a diorama with a "bigger on the inside" control room that was done by having mirrors create the illusion that you could see behind the TARDIS.  Now I'll have to see if I can find that thread.  I miss GalacticProbe.  He was great for digging up old threads like that.  He needs to get back here. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

kutan66

Nov 17, 2019, 07:26 pm #109 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 07:27 pm by kutan66
Quote from: Volpone on Nov 17, 2019, 03:26 am
HA!  I hadn't even noticed the mirrors!  Now I can't not see them.  Brilliant.  A few years back someone posted a model TARDIS in a diorama with a "bigger on the inside" control room that was done by having mirrors create the illusion that you could see behind the TARDIS.  Now I'll have to see if I can find that thread.  I miss GalacticProbe.  He was great for digging up old threads like that.  He needs to get back here.

Thank you.

Galactic Probe appears to have left being a regular on the group before I joined.  
On the other hand, yourself - Mr Volpone, along with Mr RussellSuthern and Mr Davros Skaro deserve a medal for your endless enthusiasm for this group!

Cheers
Ian

dr hue

Nov 17, 2019, 08:44 pm #110 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 08:45 pm by dr hue
Amazing work!

I love the mirror effect, "Through The Looking Glass"

A whole Box for half the price!

Davros Skaro

Quote from: kutan66 on Nov 17, 2019, 07:26 pm
Thank you.

Galactic Probe appears to have left being a regular on the group before I joined.  
On the other hand, yourself - Mr Volpone, along with Mr RussellSuthern and Mr Davros Skaro deserve a medal for your endless enthusiasm for this group!

Cheers
Ian

I hope Dino is doing better with his problem & can get back on here, he's miss.

I enjoy watching other peoples builds as I don't have the facilities nor the finance to do so anymore, so I get my "build enjoyment" from watching others & will give credit where credits due.
Keep up the great work & posts everyone.  :) ;) :D ;D

Chris.
Chris.

kutan66

Quote from: dr hue on Nov 17, 2019, 08:44 pm
Amazing work!

I love the mirror effect, "Through The Looking Glass"

A whole Box for half the price!

Thank you Dr Hue!

The only downside to the mirror is that the box is a HECK of a lot smaller on the inside (compared to how it looks on the outside!)

Volpone

More mirrors? 

I tried to find the clip from "The 3 Doctors," where the Brigadier sees the inside of the TARDIS and asks if it is done with mirrors, but no joy.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Thanks for the name check!!! ;D
Yes, poor Dino is having some health issues at the moment. I sent him a PM recently, but haven't heard anything back, so I hope he's doing ok....

I do love this group, mostly because of the sheer variety, imagination & skill of the builds on show. (This awesome oak TARDIS a case in point!!)

Best regards to all,

Russell

kutan66

I have a timer on the lights, and its set to come on as it gets dark.     With the mirrors installed, this is now what I get to see when I come home - if the blinds are still open.

183-WindowView1.jpg

And just after I took that photo as I came home this evening, I caught Thomas going into the study, turning on the light and popping into the Box!

184-WindowView.jpg

Angelus Lupus

Brilliant! Unless you were looking very closely and saw the reflected 'POLICE' (and honestly, I'm only looking that close because I know it's there) you really would assume it's a full box!
It's quite atmospheric seeing it in the dark with just the interior lights.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

kutan66

Thank you!

On a few nights I've kept the blinds open for longer than usual.. just to give the dog walkers and kids coming home from college a Doctor Whoey treat!  (left the blinds open on Halloween too!)

Volpone

Optical illusions abound.  The mirrors make it look like a complete box and your daughter is just the right height to make it look like a full-sized box. 

In the final scene of "Casablanca," the director thought the miniature plane in the background looked fake, so they used little people around it as the ground crew, so it would appear to be an actual, full-sized plane.

For that matter, for the scene in "Jaws," where the shark destroys the cage Hooper is in, they used a little person to make a regular sized Great White appear larger. 
-The Doctor.

kutan66

Nov 30, 2019, 07:53 pm #119 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2019, 07:58 pm by kutan66
Another Tardis Cutaway today.  Been on the long trek to Avoncroft Museum of Buildings.   Last went last November but was planning on going again well before now.  I guess I was occupied doing other things over summer!

The Kiosk Museum is part of it.

Avoncroft07.jpg

Avoncroft09.jpg

If you've not been, there's a working old telephone exchange there and you can phone one kiosk from another.

The light flashes on top of the Police Box when it rings.

Avoncroft04.jpg

And the lamp on the Police Post flashes too when you ring that.

Avoncroft06.jpg

I noticed the glass in the box was the same as in mine!

Avoncroft03.jpg

You can go inside the box while The Curator is there.  He'll also show you around the exchange and you can see all the thingies clicking away! (He didn't call them Thingies though..!)

Avoncroft08.jpg

If the Beeb hadn't used a Police Box for the Tardis, they could have used a K4 telephone box.  Its huge!  With a post box in the back side of it.

Avoncroft02.jpg

(Just need to obscure the glass!)

The Curator said that the museum doesn't own the box.  Its on loan from someone on a peppercorn (token) rent.

Avoncroft01.jpg    Avoncroft10.jpg

In this pic it *almost* looks as good as Dr Hue's!

Avoncroft05.jpg

And just so we're staying 99 1/2% on topic.. I have to make an oak cabinet this next week.. I'll see if I can make some oak 'bolts' for my Lamp at the same time!

Cheers
Ian