Started by kutan66, Apr 18, 2019, 07:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kutan66

Quote from: russellsuthern on Sep 28, 2019, 03:52 pm
To quote Bernard Matthews:
"Bootiful- really bootiful!!!!"   ;D

Great stuff!

Russell

Thank you!  (Though no greasy turkey fingers will be going near this!)

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Sep 29, 2019, 12:05 am
QuoteWhen I brought the bits of the box into the house, I left the keys in the workshop.  I brought the keys over Thursday evening.  I remember passing them to the wife through the back door, and she put the envelope on top of the bin...

They didn't go in the bin did they? I do hope that you found them!

That is looking very good, looks like it has materilised in the wall. Quite an interesting effect. Well done!  :)

Chris.

Couldn't find them for ages.  I said to the wife that I would be having a rummage through the bin if I didn't them soon.   Later I was moving chairs around before people arrived and I found the envelope on one of them!
Phew..

Quote from: Volpone on Sep 29, 2019, 01:47 am
HA!  It's the TARDIS from "The Mind Robber"--if the Mind Robber was This Old House/New Yankee Workshop's Norm Abrams instead of a pulp author.

Ah, remember the classic line from The Mind Robber, "..And then the Doctor an his companions found a tin of 'Paint 'n' Grain'.." !

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Sep 29, 2019, 08:55 am
Oh now that looks perfect! well done mate. You must be really proud...

Chuffed to bits, thank you!   [And we're not quite finished yet!]

Cheers, Ian

kutan66

Another little update.

This morning before we went out I replaced the rest of the oak trunking on the wires, and shortened the ends of the cables for the plug and lamp holder.

Changed the plug to a black one too to match the socket better.

160-WireAndPlug.jpg

When I stuck the glass in I used some silicone, but it wasn't a very smooth one, so I only used it to stick the glass in the rebate.  I sealed behind the glass this evening with some nicer glazing silicone.

161-SiliconeBackOfGlass.jpg

Its not very likely that I will be getting pictures of my Tardis in different locations!  But here it is for if the blind is open when the neighbours walk up their path at night..

162-Outside.jpg

And here is what people walking past the house will see.

163-Outside.jpg

Hannah materialised in there today.

164-Hannah.jpg

And finally, a picture from the floor looking upwards!

165-FromBelow.jpg

Not finished yet!
Thank you,
Ian

Volpone

It took me a minute to figure out the lamp switch.  At first I thought it was a doorknob and that you could sneak in and out the side. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

kutan66

Its a dimmer switch so we can have mood lighting in there!

kutan66

Just a mini-update.

The phone didn't have a middle label...

166-NoLabel.jpg

..so I found a website which generates labels for this era phone.   It also generates the letters for your town and number, but they looked a bit too 'neat'

So I used great aunt Norah's trusty cast iron typewriter!

167-TrustyTypewriter.jpg

This is just an example, no the one I'm using.

168-Label.jpg

I don't really live there, and this isn't my number..!

[Although over 20 years ago I did make a house sign for someone who lived there!]

168-LGallifrey.jpg

And the phone with the label.

169-WithLabel.jpg

I had something on special order for the box..  but one of the items arrived in bits.  So still waiting for that...

Almost there.. but not finished yet!

Volpone

That back wall begs for roundels.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

kutan66

Thinking about the flat back, I did have a good look through the roundels thread a few months ago with that idea..!

170-Inside.jpg

It could be possible to turn one (or four) on the lathe.   Maybe not a full size one, but an 84% roundel would be 418.32mm across.

The bigger diameter something is, the more a smaller lathe will struggle.

But my 'Summer Of Tardis' is coming to a close I think.    I need to start taking it easy at weekends more.  This last week with 'usual work' I've redeveloped *cof* housemaid's knee, a cold, and a lump on my head from standing up under a top kitchen door I'd just fitted!

I've just had a look at the roundel plans again.  I'll see how enthusiasm develops next year!

Volpone

That's the good thing about most finished TARDISes.  There's usually something you can come up with to upgrade later.

And then there's finished OUTDOOR TARDISes.  For those it is maintenance.  Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. :(
-The Doctor.

kutan66

Oct 22, 2019, 03:40 pm #98 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2019, 03:59 pm by kutan66
Mild Update and another Tardis Cut-Away today!

Last week the 'special order' things arrived and I began doing that.  But more on that when its finished.

I cut the lamp in two too and fixed the bits together.

171-LampChop.jpg

I was going to make and pop in a couple of verticals.  But I ran out of time.  

Had to move the box.  Hadn't taken a pic like this before.. so did!

172-BackLit.jpg

Had to pop to London this weekend to sort out some documents.   On the way popped to see the Earl's Court box..

173-Earl'sCourt.jpg

And then we did the long drag out to The Who Shop to have a look round the shop and their little museum, which was nice.

173-WhoShop.jpg

[..and their other Police Box doesn't have a sign anymore claiming to be the Dalek Movie box!]

And finally.. not quite a Police Box.. but the Lego Shop in Leicester Square has a phone box made of Lego..   Wonder if you could get a big bulk discount if you bought a few thousand blue bricks!

174-Lego.jpg

kutan66

OK.. it could be time for an update.. tomorrow!

The Police Box is now not completely complete.. but almost complete..

And a couple of weeks ago I *cof* *may* have sent a photo to Dr Who Magazine..

Now, I don't usually get excited about many things anymore..   but someone who has received their subscriber copy of DWM has just sent me a pic of the letters page..

All I can calmly say is..

SQUEEEEEEE!

I have politely asked my wife if she could possibly take a detour tomorrow (on her birthday!) and go DWM hunting..

Not told the kids yet.. it can hopefully be a surprise for them when they get home from school tomorrow!

kutan66

Nov 14, 2019, 11:31 pm #100 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2019, 08:02 pm by kutan66
OK.. a catch up update..  (And it looks like this is 'reply #100' in this thread!)

Ages ago I mentioned about something I wasn't going to mention yet..

Well, before I brought the Box into the house, I made three framed boards..

175-FramedBoards1.jpg

176-FramedBoards2.jpg

And these were for..

Mirrors!

177-Boards&Mirrors.jpg

Here is when I stuck two of the three to the boards.   The third mirror has a cut out for the light switch.

It took 2 weeks to get the first two mirrors (with polished edges).  The glass place broke the third one in transit.  They then broke the next one they cut too..

When I went (another) week later to pick up the new third piece, they gave me two.

I stuck one to its board, and was going to put the other away.. and I broke it!

Then I began fixing the mirrors to the wall..   Had to remove the light switch first.

178-Mirror1.jpg

179-Mirror2.jpg

180-Mirror3.jpg

And to finish.. a polished chrome light switch to blend in with the mirrors!

181-LightSwitch.jpg

And as the French say.. Et Ta-da!

182-Et Ta-Da.jpg

At this point a second huge smile developed on my face!  (The first being when I first turned the light on.)

It was after this that I cut the lamp in half (as in a previous update) and popped it on.

I also had to cut a slither of oak (as a packer) to level things up.  The floor drops slightly towards the wall, which meant the Box wasn't parallel with the mirror.

And once the lamp was on I spent ages one weekend clearing the study up. (You can't take pics of mirrors unless you tidy up behind yourself, as well as in front of the camera!)

The lighting wasn't the best, but I'm rarely in when its daylight since summer has ended.  We took a shed load of pics, and a few turned out ok!

And then I sent a pic to DWM.

Last month was the magazine's 40th Anniversary.  Issue 6 was my first issue off the newsagents.. so this issue the kids are in is out on the 40th Anniversary of that number!

DWM545s.jpg

And this was when a third huge smile appeared on my face!

There are still 4 little things which I want to do before its totally finished.. but unfortunately they are tiny things which I could probably get away with not doing until enthusiasm is at Max Strength!

And although I will update when certain things have been done, I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone on this message board who has helped this creation.

Particularly Tony Farrell for his fabulous plans.    And thank yous of course to the so many other people who have created all the other reference work here.  And thank you to everyone who has Liked or commented along the way since I began at Easter.  Cheers Chums!

Hannah&ThomasOakTardisS.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Nov 14, 2019, 11:45 pm #101 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2019, 11:47 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: kutan66 on Oct 22, 2019, 03:40 pm
And then we did the long drag out to The Who Shop to have a look round the shop and their little museum, which was nice.

173-WhoShop.jpg

Ah yes the Elstree box  :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Nov 14, 2019, 11:45 pm
Quote from: kutan66 on Oct 22, 2019, 03:40 pm
173-WhoShop.jpg

Ah yes the Elstree box  :)

Er, no Marc - The Who Shop has two boxes - the one pictured which acts as the doorway to their 'museum' and the other box which is the Elstree Studios Police Box!

To comment specifically on Ian/Kutan's topic - I sincerely hope that that the near completion of your oak Tardis won't mean you stepping away from Tardis Builders. I really do admire your wood-working skills and I hope that you'll consider making some other props to showcase your undoubted talents.

T

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Nov 15, 2019, 12:49 am
Er, no Marc - The Who Shop has two boxes - the one pictured which acts as the doorway to their 'museum' and the other box which is the Elstree Studios Police Box!

I thought it was looking a bit battered!

I wasn't aware they had a 2nd one :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

russellsuthern

Great work!

Well done for getting into DWM,  Is that the latest issue?

Btw:  An all oak Dalek might look rather nice.... ;)

Regards,

Russell