News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Type 97 TARDIS (but full size)

Started by LMC97, Jun 29, 2016, 04:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LMC97

Jun 29, 2016, 04:40 pm Last Edit: Jul 29, 2016, 01:56 am by LMC97
Well, our summer project has begun.

I am really excited to reveal my family's summer project of building a full size exterior. It is a family project so many family members and even some friends will help to build the box.
So far, we have a lot of wood stored in our shed. We are now just waiting for a sunny day to start the construction. Today, we went out shopping for the ironmongery. This includes the lock, the door handles, the bolts, the hinges and more.
IMGP0036.JPG
The Lock
IMGP0042.JPG
The Door Handles
IMGP0038.JPG
The Bolts
These are for the left door to keep it closed.
IMGP0039.JPG
The Hinges
There are 6 in total so we can have 3 on each door.
IMGP0041.JPG
The Lamp
IMGP0043.JPG

Well, that's all for now.

LMC  ;D ;D
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

galacticprobe

Jun 30, 2016, 01:06 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 30, 2016, 01:12 am by galacticprobe
Wow! Excellent collection of parts, LMC! Where did you find that great anchor-style lamp? It looks it won't require much modification at all, only a little on top for the lamp cap.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

LMC97

Thanks Dino. We were able to find the lamp at a B&Q in Kidderminster. We hope to make the cap ourselves later.

LMC
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

phillbarron

That is a great lamp - maybe I can finally replace the plastic bottle on my office door. A quick browse tells me it's the Blooma Lampades White Flickering Candle Lantern, that it's only £7 ... and isn't in stock within a 50 mile radius of my house.

Damn.

LMC97

I believe the lamp your looking at is the same one we got. Such a shame about it being out of stock around your area. But good luck finding a lamp if you do decide to change your current one.

LMC
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

LMC97

Jun 30, 2016, 05:42 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 17, 2017, 01:39 pm by LMC97
Day 1

This is where the TARDIS will be. We plan to have the TARDIS built connected to the shed as another entrance. We also plan to have the base built around the posts so that's they are being made first.
ground.JPG
We have started construction on the posts. We wanted to make sure the posts can be as good as they can get so we even bought a circular saw bench.
saw.JPG
Well here are some photos of the construction of the posts.
all wood.JPGsawing peices.JPG
In the photo above, the person on the left is my granddad Jim who is a engineer and the person on the right is my step dad Matt who has some experience with constructing things in the garden.
IMGP0046.JPGIMGP0045.JPG
IMGP0047.JPGclose up.JPGzoom out.JPGIMGP0070.JPG2 complete posts.JPGIMGP0071.JPGIMGP0072.JPGIMGP0073.JPG
Well, we were only interrupted by rain once today but we were able to make 3 complete posts and one that is roughly 3/4 complete.

That's all for now.

LMC  ;D
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

Volpone

I'll confess a bit of jealousy to anyone who can just pop down to the hardware store for proper handles.  American handles have the screws side-by-side instead of inline.  It's funny, because for all the OCD things I want to do on my build (like putting Fresnel inserts inside my false Fresnel glass so the lightbulb is appropriately magnified), I'm resigned to having inaccurate handles because I am not going to hassle with getting English ones.  Kind of like how I settle for Gummi Bears or Sour Patch Kids because it is nigh impossible to get Jelly Babies in the US these days. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Jul 01, 2016, 05:09 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2016, 06:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: phillbarron on Jun 30, 2016, 10:55 am
That is a great lamp... A quick browse tells me it's the Blooma Lampades White Flickering Candle Lantern, that it's only £7 ... and isn't in stock within a 50 mile radius of my house.

Phill, how far away are you from LMC's location? Maybe you and he can PM some details to make arrangements so, if he's willing to help, he can get one of those lanterns and send it to you. (Others have done it, and over greater distances.)

Which brings me to "Other Steve's" comment on the door handles. Steve, may I suggest you PM KB (Chriskingbees)? Let him know which handles you're looking for (there are two sizes, as well as brass or chrome) and he may be able to help get you a handle or two. He's done it for other members in the States, and I think I'm one of them. (Just a thought.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

LMC97

Jul 01, 2016, 01:43 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 17, 2017, 01:33 pm by LMC97
Day 2

We have completed the posts. Here are some photos of them leaning against our other shed.
IMGP0080.JPGIMGP0077.JPGIMGP0078.JPGIMGP0079.JPG
Now they have been put back into the shed ready for when we continue with construction.
IMGP0083.JPG

That's all for now.

LMC  ;D
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

LMC97

Jul 04, 2016, 05:02 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 16, 2017, 07:27 pm by LMC97
Day 3

Today, we were making the grounds supports for the posts.
support before.JPG
support during.JPG
support after.JPG
support in post.JPG
We were able to make all 4 of them today.
all 4 ground supports.JPG
We then began cutting the wood to back the corners of the posts.
wood before cutting.JPG
IMGP0093.JPG
Things got dusty.....really dusty.  :)
dust lmc.JPG
We were able to make 3 strips of wood to go on the corners of the posts so there is more to do.
all 3.JPG

LMC  ;D
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

Bob's your Uncle

That TARDIS will never tip over.  ;D

Can't wait to see more.
Greg.
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

LMC97

Jul 05, 2016, 11:55 am #11 Last Edit: Jul 05, 2016, 11:55 am by LMC97
Indeed Bob's your Uncle. As soon they are placed into the ground, the only way out is to dematerialize.  ;D

LMC
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

LMC97

Jul 05, 2016, 03:52 pm #12 Last Edit: Feb 17, 2017, 01:42 pm by LMC97
Day 4

Well, 2 posts are fully complete. It won't be long until we start constructing the base. But until then, here are some photos to pass the time.
IMGP0101.JPGIMGP0102.JPGIMGP0106.JPGIMGP0107.JPG
Here are some photos of the posts standing in front of the shed that the TARDIS will be attached to.
IMGP0108.JPG
IMGP0109-r.JPGIMGP0110.JPGIMGP0111.JPGIMGP0112.JPGIMGP0113.JPGIMGP0114-r.JPGIMGP0115.JPGIMGP0116.JPG

These posts will be at the front which will have the doors hinged to.

LMC  :)
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

Bob's your Uncle

It's coming along nicely.
Your photos are wonderful.

I wonder what's in that red notebook.  :)

Greg.

"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

Yeah... You think that's going to remain a storage shed and/or workshop.  But one day you'll have to make a control room.  ;) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.