Apr 18, 2024, 10:39 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Type 97 TARDIS (but full size)

Started by LMC97, Jun 29, 2016, 04:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

First thought:  Freudian slip that "winter is defiantly here"  (versus "definitely") or intentional? 

Second is that I'm really impressed by your "bigger on the inside" effect in those photos.  I was like "Oh, this is the one that is the vestibule for a shed," but then I was momentarily confused because I didn't see the shed behind it.  I think the straight-on camera angle helped, but I wonder if the snow--both falling and covering said shed--helped to make the shed disappear behind the big blue box. 

Speaking of worrying about damage, I guess one has to just take the Bobby McFerrin, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" attitude (which is good, simple advice, but much harder to actually apply).  So often we do something because we've come up with a good reason that it makes sense, only to find out it had the exact opposite effect. 

Really all you can do is observe and inspect and adjust based on observations (which is also much harder to apply than to advise).  If your tarp is working you still might be getting condensation on the inside of it, but even so, that should be better than having the TARDIS in the elements.  One would think the condensation would run down and pool on the ground instead of on the TARDIS.  On the other hand, if it's cold enough condensation isn't an issue.  For that matter, you could just go out and brush the snow off the TARDIS (assuming the shed isn't heated). 

My final thought (for now)...will come in a bit.  Because I had another thought in the mean time:  You could build a false fence that is just taller than the real fence at the back of the TARDIS.  That would enhance the illusion that the shed behind the TARDIS is in the neighbors' yard.  Then you could use the little sides for storage/organization of things like trash cans or compost that can be out in the elements but aren't necessarily nice to look at. 

And NOW my final thought:  your tarp actually allows you to do a much more accurate TARDIS photo (albeit less picturesque) than we usually have.  Because unless the chameleon circuit kicked in, a just-materialized TARDIS would NOT be covered in snow.  It would be completely free of snow while everything else had snow on it.  The trick being getting the tarp off without ruining the unblemished snow on the ground around the TARDIS.  ;) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

LMC97

Dec 10, 2017, 05:44 pm #256 Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 05:47 pm by LMC97
Quote from: Volpone on Dec 10, 2017, 03:44 pm
First thought:  Freudian slip that "winter is defiantly here"  (versus "definitely") or intentional?  

That's embarrassing.  :-[ Thanks for pointing that out. I have no idea why I didn't spot that when I posted it. I proof read at least twice before posting and yet there's always that one typo that hid itself well.

At the moment, I feel like I was worrying over nothing. Usually when bad weather hits like heavy rain which is what we usually get, the cover allows water to get in. However, I just recently went down to the TARDIS and opened the cover to find the TARDIS was still dry including the roof. Though I do get as much snow off the cover which ends up falling off by itself. I'm assuming that's due to the angle of the cover. Apparently it will keep snowing for a while so it is a wait and see situation. I like your suggestions such as the false fence. I think it would help with the illusion of the TARDIS being bigger on the inside. Thank you for your comment.

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Dec 10, 2017, 11:17 am
Then I'm glad you were wrong. :)

I am too. I thought we would just get non stop rain again. I was close to forgetting what snow was like.  ;)

LMC  :)
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

galacticprobe

Dec 11, 2017, 05:47 am #257 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017, 06:00 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: LMC97 on Dec 10, 2017, 05:44 pm
That's embarrassing.

It shouldn't be. Looking at how much snow had fallen already when you took that photo, and seeing how it was still coming down diagonally, it's almost as if Old Man Winter was out there shouting "I am here, and I defy anyone to stop me!" (I'd call that winter being "defiantly" here. :))

But look on the bright side - if you'd lived in some places in the US, you could have woken up one morning to find this waiting for you:
SnowTARDIS-small.jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"