May 19, 2024, 02:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Capaldi tardis

Started by brenk9carter, Jan 09, 2017, 03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jan 23, 2017, 07:05 am #45 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 07:06 am by galacticprobe
Well, most people have already said things that I was going to say about this great build, and the workshop, and the space for both the shop and the Old Girl when she's done. So all I can really add at this point is...

Envy(medium-small).jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

brenk9carter

Jan 23, 2017, 10:14 pm #46 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 10:48 pm by brenk9carter
Today i didn't do much but i did get a bit done.
first i cleaned up any excess glue on the base and i filled the large holes on the corners next to the corner stubs with extra bits of floor material.
also any small holes were filled up. it will all be sanded down properly tomorrow after the filler has properly set
20170123_194440.jpg
Bren

brenk9carter

Jan 25, 2017, 11:38 pm #47 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2017, 11:38 pm by brenk9carter
the base has been sanded down and now has the first coat of primer on it.
i have to say it looks quite a bit different than it did before.
IMG_8402.JPG
i have yet to find the correct shade of blue yet so it'l have to be white for a while
Bren

galacticprobe

Jan 26, 2017, 06:30 am #48 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 06:31 am by galacticprobe
Don't let that get you down, Bren. Remember, in "The Mind Robber", the Old Girl was white for a short bit, when she was in that white void. So I don't think having a white TARDIS until you find a good blue would bother anyone. (You shouldn't let bother you. In a pinch any good blue would help hold you over until the perfect blue catches your eye.)

That base looks amazing! And huge! And solid! Beautiful!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

brenk9carter

Jan 27, 2017, 11:57 pm #49 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 12:08 am by brenk9carter
today i made the sound module. Its a picaxe SPE035 mp3 sound module for those who are wondering.
IMG_8406.JPG

obviously i will put bigger speakers on it and i will change the buttons on it and mount them on a control panel that will look like one of the control panels on the Tardis. and i will be doing the circuit for the lights when i get the lights themselves.

i made a start on the routing at the top of the cornerposts today as well.

this is the jig that i made to get the right shape cut out with the router
IMG_8413.JPG

and the end result. its not as neat as some other ones I've seen here but most of it will be covered by the sign anyway and once its cleaned up and painted I'm sure it will be ok.
IMG_8410.JPG
Bren

brenk9carter

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 26, 2017, 06:30 am
Don't let that get you down, Bren. Remember, in "The Mind Robber", the Old Girl was white for a short bit, when she was in that white void. So I don't think having a white TARDIS until you find a good blue would bother anyone. (You shouldn't let bother you. In a pinch any good blue would help hold you over until the perfect blue catches your eye.)

That base looks amazing! And huge! And solid! Beautiful!

I think i have found the correct colour so hopefully soon i should have it. and yes the base certainly is huge... and heavy.
Bren

brenk9carter

Jan 28, 2017, 05:57 pm #51 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 06:04 pm by brenk9carter
today has been another good day in the life of a Tardis builder as i have managed to complete construction on all four cornerposts  ;D

i routed out all of the parts that needed routing with great success.
IMG_8435.JPG

IMG_8433.JPG
considering it was my first time using a router i think they turned out very good.
however when i was doing one of them the router bit came loose so it cut a big groove out of it by accident :P

IMG_8440.JPG
once its filled up with some filler it should look alright though.
Bren

Scarfwearer

That looks great to me! It's much harder than it looks.

Crispin

Davros Skaro

you've done a great job for a first time user of a router, they can be awkward to use, I use to use them all the time when I worked for a furniture manufacturer, we had jigs set up & you can still mess up.
Again, you've done a great job there.  :)

Chris.
Chris.

brenk9carter

Jan 29, 2017, 08:45 pm #54 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 09:02 pm by brenk9carter
Today i started work on the police box signs.
first i put the cornerposts on to the base and i put some wood braces on them to keep them all in the correct place.
IMG_8445.JPG

i then started making the sign boxes and i have made all of the components for them all i just need to put them together.
but this is what one of them looks like as a dry fit with an off cut of the sign material put in to test the groove size.
IMG_8450.JPG

IMG_8451.JPG
and just because i want to show off the groove cut for the sign to fit in.
IMG_8448.JPG

the rest of the sign boxes just need any mitres to be done and then they'll be ready to go.
and the signs themselves are being made at the sign makers and should be here sometime in the week.  ;D
Bren

brenk9carter

Jan 31, 2017, 06:17 pm #55 Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 06:28 pm by brenk9carter
guess what arrived today
IMG_8462(1).jpg

i put one in the box to get an idea of what it looks like
IMG_8460(1).jpg

and i just put a lamp behind it to see how well it lights up
IMG_8465(1).jpg

tonight im going to put at least one of the sign boxes together then tomorrow i will do the rest
Bren

LMC97

Jan 31, 2017, 06:38 pm #56 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2017, 05:45 pm by LMC97
Yup, I'm officially jealous of how much progress you've made. Those signs look awesome while I haven't made mine yet. It all looks great, keep it up.  :)

LMC
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

brenk9carter

well all boxes come together at different rates and from what i've seen your one is looking great
Bren

brenk9carter

Feb 02, 2017, 10:07 pm #58 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2017, 10:16 pm by brenk9carter
hello again the top sign boxes are all ready to put up after i clean them up and sand them down

here you can see that i sat one up in place to get a sense of what it looks like
IMG_8469(1.jpg

all four boxes ready to roll
Snapchat-207503535.jpg
Bren

brenk9carter

Feb 03, 2017, 09:28 pm #59 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2017, 09:44 pm by brenk9carter
today a small milestone was reached as the top signs have all been put up.
(in this pic the left sign isnt put in properly so thats why it doesnt look quite right)
IMG_84901.jpg

i stuck a lamp behind it again to light it up when the box is complete the signs will have led strips behind them to light them up
IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

the next task will be to measure and cut the plywood for the walls.
Bren