May 12, 2024, 02:49 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

JW Tardis

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Nov 11, 2017, 07:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelus Lupus

Yes, take a look, take pictures, and if no-one's looking.... take measurements!  ;D
Oh, and don't forget close-ups of the costume!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

hallam

Quote from: Kingpin on Oct 17, 2018, 12:24 pm
The chip in the paint at the bottom of the central divider would also suggest that this is the wooden box, rather than a fibreglass copy of AWJ-1.  Interesting to see that it's been retired from filming for the forseeable future.

So, for those wishing to get some extremely up-close reference photos, and maybe even some sneaky measurements... Pop on over to Madame Tussaud's in Blackpool.

Having built a wooden TARDIS, I am not surprised that the crew would prefer the fiberglass copies. The doors are really heavy to move after a while. And I am not sure how many times they would survive loading and unloading for location shots.

Quite likely, they wanted a fiberglass one all along. But you have to make the plug to make the molds. So build one and in time honored Dr Who tradition, use it for actual shooting because you are behind schedule.

Volpone

Indeed.  Or it could be a bit like "Stargate: SG-1," where the "hero" stargate at Stargate Command is a fancy prop with a spinning rotor while the prop they used for "offworld" 'gates was modular fiberglass and didn't spin.  I don't think the chevrons moved--the lights just lit up.  Keep a nice prop for when you need closeups and studio shooting but use the lightweight ones for location shooting and background shots.  For that matter, even "The A-Team" was a bit like that.  They had something like 6 "hero" vans that were pristine and all decked out and then a whole array of stunt vans that lacked the bodywork, lights, or other things.  In at least one shot they even used a Ford instead of a GMC.  So it doesn't seem unreasonable that they'd use a mix of fiberglass props with at least one wood prop--especially since you need that to make the fiberglass. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Kingpin

Oct 31, 2018, 03:53 pm #303 Last Edit: Oct 31, 2018, 04:04 pm by Kingpin
Hang on... What're these fibreglass Arwel Wyn Jones TARDIS props you guys are referring to?

To-date we've only seen three boxes:

AWJ-1 http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8151.30 (Used in location filming for episodes 2-4, appeared in the in-costume promo shot of Jodie, and now currently resides at Madame Tussaud's in Blackpool).
AWJ-2 http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8151.msg107696#msg107696 (has appeared at promotional events, but hasn't yet appeared on-screen.  Was at the BBC stand at MCM Expo this past weekend)
AWJ-TPE-1 http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8151.msg114357#msg114357 (a replica made by This Planet Earth).

As far as I was aware, all three boxes were built from wood, rather than fibreglass.

dragonfrosting

Nov 04, 2018, 12:46 am #304 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2018, 12:48 am by dragonfrosting
The window latches in the prop's interior and in the set's interior are actually inconsistent as I now realize. Using the last premiere photos as a reference for the prop, this is how I believe it's set up:

In the prop, the main part of the latches are secured to some kind of small block on the top of each window. The secondary part is secured to the bottom of an overhead beam.
In the set, the small block is on the wall instead, and the latches are secured to the outermost part of the frames (so they're slightly lower). The secondary part is secured to the bottom of the small block.

So be careful when using the prop as a reference for the new interior's porch area.

Scarfwearer

Nov 04, 2018, 11:06 am #305 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2018, 11:19 am by Scarfwearer
Well spotted! I hadn't seen that.

Just to support that with imagery:

window-catch-prop.jpg window-catch-set.jpg

The first/left picture is from one of the props, the second/right picture is of the set from Rosa.

The reason for the difference seems clear: the props have to have room for the lightbox insert, which is removable and tucks under the bottom of the latch and is then held in at the bottom by the rotating turner.
On the set that's never necessary, as they would never fit light boxes, so rather than have an ugly visible block on top of the window when it's open they put the block on the wall...

It's not visible in the cropped images I've made here, but there are no latches on the door windows on the set.
If I remember rightly the windows on the doors of actual police boxes don't open either.

Kingpin

Nov 05, 2018, 02:15 am #306 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2018, 02:43 am by Kingpin
Well remembered:
Interior.jpg
-Source

And the Crich box for comparison:
MVC-866S.jpg
Crich_4.jpg
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=675.30

Kingpin

Nov 14, 2018, 02:03 pm #307 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2018, 02:04 pm by Kingpin
A nice high-resolution promo shot from Episode 9:

ep_9_crop.jpg

-Which helps identify it as AWJ-1 in at least part of this episode's location filming.

Kingpin

Nov 16, 2018, 10:20 pm #308 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2018, 10:22 pm by Kingpin
There was a segment on tonight's Children in Need featuring Jodie, Bradley, Tosin and Mandip joining a couple of fans on a tour of the TARDIS set (as well as taking a gander around Roath Lock and looking at some of the costumes and props from past series - it's worth a watch in itself):

During the initial setup of the tour, and partway through it, we spot a TARDIS exterior... And it's a bit of a puzzle, as I'm not having much luck matching the pattern of the woodgrain to AWJ-1, AWJ-2, or even the This Planet Earth reproduction.  Could this be AWJ-3?  A replacement for AWJ-1 as that's now on display at Blackpool?

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg

At the moment I believe the location and studio boxes may be one and the same, but it's tricky to tell as the way the box is painted causes the woodgrain to disappear in lower-resolution footage/photos.

Angelus Lupus

Nov 16, 2018, 11:41 pm #309 Last Edit: Nov 17, 2018, 12:39 am by Angelus Lupus
Is that a 'studio box' or is it the three-sided 'porch' entrance to the console-room set?

..Nevermind, I've just looked at it again, and it's clearly a complete Box
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

willbrooks1989

The one that shows up outside their house is AWJ-2 (There's a distinctive chip out of the left hand side of the central divider, a couple of inches from the top of the phone panel, which you can just about see here if you pause the video in the right spot!). The one in the studio, though, doesn't appear to match either of the boxes we know, or the This Planet Earth replica that went to TVC.

Could well be another new prop, though I'm leaning towards it being a replica (for whatever reason!)

W

lofiscifi

Another nice shot of the same prop, detailing some of the grain.

CIN2018-04.jpg

nacholibre

Hey gang, so the new episode kerblam Aired tonight and behind the scenes has showed The TARDIS and it does look like the box has a backdrop of console room, DsUCkDEXcAAj_Su.jpg

Kingpin

Nice one. :)

lorisarvendu

Just look at those central struts of the window frame in the angled view. Always a nice detail to see. Makes me think of Crich.