New, New TardisBuilders!

KB's met box build

Started by chriskingbees, Feb 12, 2009, 07:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Mar 14, 2014, 10:45 pm #105 Last Edit: Mar 14, 2014, 10:46 pm by galacticprobe
That is a very sad note, indeed. So much for hopes of her being salvageable. :(

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Sad to hear.  She is one of the original fan boxes, built before all of the scholarship done here.  :(
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fivefingeredstyre

Very sad indeed... Chris's box was one of the inspirations for me when I built mine...  :(

Looking after these things is a constant battle...

So much so that i've decided that when mine will finally go the way of all things, I'm going to get one side, a corner post and a signbox used as moulds for a fibreglass version. If Chris hasn't pulled his down already, perhaps he might want to consider doing something similar with his..?

warmcanofcoke

I always loved this old box - made me want one even more. She will be missed.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

chriskingbees

P3100002 - Copy (800x600).jpg

P3100003 - Copy (800x600).jpg

P3100004 - Copy (800x600).jpg

P3100005 - Copy (800x600).jpg

P3100001 - Copy (600x800).jpg

The pictures don't do it justice, but believe me, there is no going back. It is dangerous :(

KB

superrichi1a

Seeing those pictures really did drive the wedge home for the first time :'( Similar to what others have said, my build started sometime before TARDIS Builders became so popular. I arrived on the forum probably slightly sooner than the rush but my build dated back to times when it was much more difficult to find much solid reference at all, partly due to the fact that this site was significantly less known. In those times it was pictures of builds like this, and of Kiwidoc's build, and Scarfwearer's, that filtered through into wider awareness and really provided the motivation to do it myself. Without this build, my build would likely never have started, let alone completed, thank you for that, really.

I consider my build in many ways to have lineage to builds like the ones mentioned, whether it actually shares construction points (Kiwidoc's brilliant guide), a general look (Rox's TARDIS) or simply a spark of hope (where yours comes in). If I'm right, a number of people have expressed how they were inspired similarly, and even if your build is no longer at the pinnacle of its life cycle, even if it's long gone, it's essence could be considered to still be present in the builds it has inspired. One of the great things about this community is that what is left when a groundbreaking build leaves is not simply a build diary and a memory, but a form of TARDIS that has been given rise, and lives on in others.

Sorry to come across all new-world, I seem to do that a lot about TARDISes and the human connections in building them. Hopefully it has hit a chord with some here, though, and even brightened the outlook somewhat.
I wish you luck and contentment in whatever path this takes from here.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

atomicgraph

ouch sorry to see this kb, man the weather really does a number on the builds. best wishes

emil

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2014, 04:52 am #112 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014, 04:54 am by galacticprobe
KB, you say those pics don't do it justice, but even so they are sad and painful enough to see. I'm sure you can salvage some bits to use in her next 'regeneration' (the Fresnel lens, lamp cap, lock and handles, maybe the Top Signage and PTO panel?). Maybe even the window glass. So some of her old spirit will live on in her new life.

(You are planning to rebuild, aren't you?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

chriskingbees

Mar 17, 2014, 07:20 am #113 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014, 03:41 pm by chriskingbees
Of yeah, everything "Savable" will be. If it's metal, plastic or glass, it will survive

Lamp lens, supports (Metal studding with shrouds) and cap (Which is plastic)
Lock
Hinges
Windows (Although one is cracked)
Transom signs (Glass)
Cubby hole door glass
Handles (Which are original Liberty, akin to NST :) )
All the electrics of course (Flasher unit and switches etc)
St John plaque (Vinyl on plastic, by Pod)

KB

watcher

Holy cow?!
What happened between that lovely picture in 2010 and now? :-(

chriskingbees

I suppose I just ran out of steam. Last year, the ol' box simply disintegrated before my eyes.
Nothing can be done to save her, and I have other problems arising regarding storage space, so anther build is highly unlikely in the near future.

KB

domvar

Sad to see her go KB the met box builds are always my favorites.

fivefingeredstyre

This is so sad...

I know what you mean about running out of steam. The last couple of years have been a constant battle to stay on top of things. If its not been rain its been snow, or heat or...

I'm really sorry to see that it go like this mate...

Avadh

Such an amazing and truly inspiring tardis build its so sad to see it get ruined by such horrible weather. Surely somehow with some work it can be restored and back in all its glory and standing tall and proud once again.

Mark

Well you know my feelings about your box, I remeber her when she was just and idea, so I'm gutted by these pictures.

It has occurred to me though that just as your build inspired others, perhaps she can still help future builders.

What I mean is that we have almost her entire life documented on these pages with pictures and descriptions of the build tecnique etc. Perhaps by using your build diary and cross referencing with her ending we can find better ways of building outdoor police boxes for future builders?

Maybe there are things we can spot in your build with hindsite that helps?

Just a thought