News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

KB's met box build

Started by chriskingbees, Feb 12, 2009, 07:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

watcher

That's sad news, and it must be gutting to see all that hard work rot away  :'(

geminitimelord

That is horrible. I know how you feel, i freaked when i kicked my corner post and it crumbled like a cake.

Fortunately i got her in time. So sorry.

DoctorWho8

May she dematerialize in peace.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Oct 23, 2013, 05:42 pm #93 Last Edit: Oct 23, 2013, 05:44 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: chriskingbees on Oct 23, 2013, 11:25 am
An old friend of ours, whom shall remain nameless, is determined, nay, hell bent, to save my ol' box. We shall see.

I hope your friend's determination pays off, and I wish him (and you) the best of luck in the endeavor. Remember the devastating fire on the Cutty Sark and that damage. All it took was some serious determination and hard work to save her and bring her back to her former glory. Hopefully the same will happen with your Met Box. If you friend's determination is that great, let him just have at it to do his thing, and in short order your Old Girl be good as new again.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Can't really improve on what Dino said, so I won't try. Nevertheless, I was in a very similar situation earlier this year myself and I really can sympathise: In January I thought my TARDIS was a pancake after a tree fell on it, and early July I thought it was about to fall apart. I hope you can take comfort from the fact that whilst in both situations I thought the whole TARDIS was done for, it was saved, first time by just luck, second time by days upon days of hard work by myself. From what I thought was inevitable destruction I'd now say my TARDIS is stronger than it was this time last year, and it now has an inside to match! I firmly believe there's always a way back if there's a will, something that has been proved again by Geminitimelord's build.
What can we say though? These things are totally unsuitable to be outdoors. It's madness. Next summer I'll have a total rebuild on my hands. Point is, the reason these things last is not because of luck, weather, or fancy paints and primers, it's the attention that's given them by those who love them that they survive on. I may be a somewhat junior builder, but if there's one thing I firmly believe it's that building is a continuous process, there is no such thing as a "1 year build", the build goes on for as long as the TARDIS does any whilst the build goes on the TARDIS will never fall.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

geminitimelord

I agree, it is a constant battle to keep a box outdoors.

watcher

As I said before, this is terrible and must be heartbreaking. But it's further evidence that for me a fibreglass build is the way to go!

galacticprobe

Oct 24, 2013, 02:30 pm #97 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2013, 02:31 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: watcher on Oct 24, 2013, 08:09 am
As I said before, this is terrible and must be heartbreaking. But it's further evidence that for me a fibreglass build is the way to go!

Build it like they build boats: she's got a wooden hull, and then it's covered in fibreglass resin and cloth. But then you are talking money-money-money-money-money!

So the down side is, that would be a very expensive build. :P

On the up side, you'll have a TARDIS that's still standing strong when your great-grandchildren's great-grandchildren are watching the 42nd Doctor's adventures! :) :D ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

watcher

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 24, 2013, 02:30 pm
Quote from: watcher on Oct 24, 2013, 08:09 am

Build it like they build boats: she's got a wooden hull, and then it's covered in fibreglass resin and cloth. But then you are talking money-money-money-money-money!

So the down side is, that would be a very expensive build. :P

On the up side, you'll have a TARDIS that's still standing strong when your great-grandchildren's great-grandchildren are watching the 42nd Doctor's adventures! :) :D ;D

Dino.

Exactly! I'd rather have a huge initial outlay and have a box that will last, then be heartbroken having it fall to pieces after a few years  :'(

My plan (which I've had since around 1998 lol) is to buy a TPE "Movie Box" (still fibreglass) and modify it like Mantamatt (cant remember the name exactly). That turned out pretty well!

domvar

Concrete is the future and the past for met boxes (Still not started mind you as I'm still to move house)

fivefingeredstyre

I can't describe how much this honestly saddens me, KB. Your build was an inspiration to me when I was planning mine. :(

If you keep the box out doors it really is a constant battle involving annual maintenance and painting, just to keep the thing looking as good as it can. I completely feel for you. Its funny how attached to things you become, isn't it?

I agree that if I were to build another one I would go down the fibre glass route, So much so that when mine goes the way of all things I'm already planning to make moulds of one of the walls, a corner post and a sign box so that I can make the next one ;)

TG

KB! I've just caught up with this thread, It's so sad, I love your build so much.
I had to stop lurking and pop by to send my best wishes to you!
I so hope you find a way to repair or restore, or to build again incorporating some of the old build so she lives on.
I'm working on a weather-damage rebuild myself at the moment so I really feel for you.
All the best
TG
x

geminitimelord

TG!!! Wow a long time no see....:(

That is sad that your build has also been weathered. I really understand that pain.

galacticprobe

Oct 27, 2013, 03:12 pm #103 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2013, 03:12 pm by galacticprobe
TG?!? WOW! It really has been a long time! Glad to see you out of "Lurk Mode". (Just so sorry that it was under these sad circumstances that brought you back.)

Dino.

willgillies

Sad to note, Chris's TARDIS is in very poor condition, and she will be pulled down, possibly already has been done by this post.