Apr 19, 2024, 04:19 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Caldellin"s Console Mark 2

Started by caldellin, Oct 10, 2015, 05:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

caldellin

Hi All,

It's been the best part of a year since I last posted on here. At the time I was working on Mark 1.
Here's it about 95% finished:imag0143.jpg
Calldellin

caldellin

At that stage I scrapped it.
Why??? I hear you ask. Simple: nice it was getting, it was also far too big for the room for which it was being built.
I was also conscious that several things coming up which would affect finishing it: I was changing career, I was moving in with my partner, and we were going to be buying a different house.
So, I got rid of the MDF carcass, packed away all the knobs n buttons n levers, and waiting until time and opportunity lended itself to starting again.
A couple of weeks ago, I started again>
Before I did, however, I thought of what I'd learned from Mark 1:
1. Make it smaller, to fit in the room it was meant for
2. Do it a bit at a time, rather than cutting etc all the materials at once, and
3. (for those of you partnered) make sure my other half was fine with what I was doing.
With all three of those ticked, I started a couple of weeks ago. Here's how it looks so far...WP_20151010_005.jpg
Calldellin

caldellin

Like Mark 1, I'm using MDF for the basic structure. Having done a bit more homework this time I've taken some of the smashing tips from the likes of Celation and especially The Jason in planning it out.
The size is roughly that of the Baker wooden console but with a more updated look and a proper time rotor.
This time I've also added some acrylic panels into the pedestal:WP_20151010_004.jpg
Calldellin

caldellin

My cutting's a bit wobbly so a lot of those rather conspicuous gaps will be dealt with using wood filler and some beading to tidy the whole thing up a bit. The colour scheme will be silver for the frame and a glossy black for the pedestal panels, the console edge and the control panels.
Calldellin

caldellin

I loved The Jason's idea of having each control panel sat on a frame, meaning the can be repaired or updated as needed - hence the top looking like this so far...WP_20151010_003.jpg
Calldellin

caldellin

The black tape is Gorilla tape, holding it all nice n tight while the glue sets. A change on the Mark 1 is that most of the console is actually glued together. I decided on this to reduce the weight and, whilst having to clamp everything whilst it sets, it's worked fine so far. Next step - filling in the gaps...
Calldellin

Greenlord

awesome! love the mark 1 console, looks like organized chaos -which i think is a great feel for a TARDIS console,  hope mark 2 is just as brilliant.  :)
interestingly enough i also plan to have a plasma globe incorporated into my console as my direct telepathic circuit link.  :)

caldellin

Wait till you see the navigational readouts display...
Calldellin

caldellin

It's been a bit of a while, but I haven't been idle.
Following the last post I went through my box of components and sorted out the general layout of each panel. They are as follows...WP_20151011_005.jpg
Panel 1: Power and drive systems.
Calldellin

caldellin

Calldellin

caldellin

Calldellin

caldellin

Calldellin

caldellin

Calldellin

caldellin

Calldellin

caldellin

These, then, were the basic ideas. The next stage was painting - of which more to come...
Calldellin