News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Caldellin"s Console Mark 2

Started by caldellin, Oct 10, 2015, 05:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

caldellin

As promised, the column:
image-7.jpeg
This is the only real hangover from Mark 1. It's relatively simple but very fiddly to put together. The base and upper sections are both made of MDF disks painted white with holes cut for the lighting tubes. The central tube is a simple neon tube originally meant to illuminate the pedestal. When I got it home (bought from a local DIY store) it was so tall it protruded through the column, so I made a virtue if it.
It doesn't actually do anything other than glow a steady green, but it does look very effective. I knew I hadn't the skill to make the column rise n fall so I decided to use lighting effects to provide the movement. This comes from the outer ring of lighting strips which glow in sequence from top to bottom in a variety of colours - courtesy of eBay. To add to the effect there's bring of fairy lights at the base of the column, whose patterns can be adjusted for effect: basically it's all lights on to indicate flight mode and just the column base lights whilst stationary. The column casing is an acrylic cylinder used in shop displays bought from a UK online retailer called Displaysense. To these I've added some bits of fluorescent acrylic rod and some plastic packaging to help diffuse the light. If I can manage it I'll upload a video of the whole console in operation...
Calldellin

davidnagel

Splendid.

[note to self: find better knobs and switches and levers]
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Dec 02, 2015, 04:21 am #47 Last Edit: Dec 02, 2015, 04:21 am by galacticprobe
Wow! Great description of the effort and tech that went into that column! ("Displaysense"? Might have to check them out and see if they have a size that would work for the design I'm still scribbling on, and if they ship to the US.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

caldellin

Added a few extra bits: walls and stuff!image.jpeg
Calldellin

caldellin

Calldellin

davidnagel

I think your dimensional stabilisers are broken - the pictures are upside down! :D
Regards
David

13drwho

The pictures aren't upside down, the console is. Student drivers!

Angelus Lupus

So the outside is still the right way up?  ???  That's gonna make it tricky getting in and out of the Tardis  :P
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Jan 12, 2016, 04:31 am #53 Last Edit: Jan 12, 2016, 04:41 am by galacticprobe
Well, at least you can tell by the way the scarf is "hanging" that the Attitude Control still has the internal gravity systems working properly; once you do get inside the TARDIS, you'll be able to stand on the floor and it will feel like you're right-side-up... which you would be from your point of view. (Remember entering the wreck of the Byzantium.) :)

But to lend a hand...

image1.jpg
First one...

image2.jpg
...and the next.

Also, caldellin, it would help if you actually named the images. When I saved them to rotate them, they were both just "IMAGE.JPG". So I had to rename them so the second one wouldn't overwrite the first. And if you're posting from a mobile device, please read the blue letter paragraph in this post: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5617.msg66621#msg66621. It will help. Then you can just go back and use the "Modify" link to edit your post and repost your images. That way they'll still be visible when these comments collapse after you make your next Update. You'll definitely want them visible because the old girl looks fantastic!

I hope that link above helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

caldellin

Many thanks for the adjustment, Dino! Much easier than adjusting the attitude controls...
Calldellin

galacticprobe

Jan 13, 2016, 06:24 am #55 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2016, 06:24 am by galacticprobe
You're quite welcome, though you might want to save those corrected images and repost them, either by editing your Update above, or in another Update. When you posted this last Update, it caused the Comments (and the corrected images) to collapse, so no one will know they're there unless they expand the Comments. At least as an Update, they'll always be visible. And they deserve to be because the old girl looks amazing.

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jan 13, 2016, 06:24 am
You're quite welcome, though you might want to save those corrected images and repost them, either by editing your Update above, or in another Update. When you posted this last Update, it caused the Comments (and the corrected images) to collapse, so no one will know they're there unless they expand the Comments. At least as an Update, they'll always be visible. And they deserve to be because the old girl looks amazing.

Dino.

No need. I fixed it :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

caldellin

Crickey! Has it really been January since I last posted?
I've made a few changes to the Mk2 console, to add a few bits n bobs to make it more visually interesting.
As the whole console is inspired by the Baker/Davison version I've added some red stripes in between the panels, to emphasise the division between each panel, and to add a little more colour to what is something basically silver and black.
I've added a few things to Panel One:
IMG_0425.JPG
Here it's a toggle switches as well as a couple of tablet stick-on joysticks. Note to self: black looks cool but it's a devil to dust and shows up those wonky holes where lighting shows through!
Calldellin

caldellin

Panel 2 has had a few more buttons and switches added. As this is the Instrument Panel these are meant to help calibrate the instruments. I'm especially please with the row of little joysticks at the bottom - much more tactile! In addition I've taken a leaf from the New series consoles and added controls/ gubbins to the panel edges. As the whole console is Season 14 size it allows for more use of the control surfaces. Still a bit of tidying to do around the slider control: gaps covered temporarily in black tape:IMG_0424.JPG
Calldellin

caldellin

Panel three has been quite extensively changed - the main addition being the bog knob (from Bob's bits) and a few more buttons and toggle switches. Having that big knob makes the whole panel much more tactile and makes for a striking visual focus:
IMG_0417.JPG
Calldellin