Mar 29, 2024, 04:51 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Rani's TARDIS (Mark of the Rani)

Started by d33j r093r5, Dec 06, 2020, 04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

d33j r093r5

Hi All  :) ,

It's been a while since I posted. Actually, it was much earlier this year, before the site went down, but it FEELS like a lot longer. I have to update the post I was working on prior to that (Custom 7th Doctor Comic Console), but that stagnated a bit as well, given the goings on of this year. Hopefully, I will be able to get back to that shortly.

Also, very happy we're back online!  :D  :D  ;D  ;D  :D  :D  Congrats on the new site  :)

Was kinda itching for a new project, one I could start modelling on straight away. I started work on a Whomobile as well, but some of the geometry on that is... well... WOW... and difficult to model, especially with the tools I have to hand, so I put that aside for the moment.

It was almost an offhand decision to start work on the Rani's TARDIS, and not one I'd ever really seriously considered doing. I remember being wowed by it when it first appeared on-screen in 1985, but in my (ahem) more senior years I found my nostalgia buttons pushed by more traditional consoles and designs. I just kind of started and realized "Hey, this might actually be fun"...

Ermmm... that was yesterday  ;D

Anyway, I wasn't planning on a long intro, as I haven't done much yet. Just wanted to say hi. Also, thanks to lespaceplie for his post with the Rani's TARDIS plans, and also the overall dimension drawings he provided in these posts:

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2282.0

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1011.0

I've used and am using these as reference material for my build  ;D

Anyway, this is where I'm at thus far:

Main Console_001_201207_0005_003.JPG

I will try and get back soon with another update.

Cheers,

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

Rassilons Rod

Ooh, that's looking excellent   :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

d33j r093r5

Hi all,

Added some controls and features to the console, updated the overall geometry a bit, and changed the number of hemispheres and their spacing around the perimeter. There's not much in the way of literature regarding this particular console, so most of the work is in gauging the size and shape of some of the more organic parts. I also need to make decisions as I'm modelling about how things are going to join together; I'm not a big one for sanding, finishing, polishing and painting - check that, I NEVER do any of that - so anything that's a different colour on the console will more than likely be printed out in that filament colour, and thus will be fixed on after. The red decal lines are another story though; thinking I MAY have to carefully do the outlines with a thick paint marker, or similar...

The Console Room is another matter. As mentioned in my previous post I have a nice BBC plan of how it's supposed to look, kindly supplied by lespaceplie.

Anyway, without any more ear-bashing, here's where I'm up to. I'll check in later when I've got some more significantly completed.

Console Assembly_001_201208_1533_012.jpg

Cheers,

D.

d33j r093r5

Not much of an update. In fact the only image I'm going to share looks essentially exactly like the previous one does. There are some differences. Based on some feedback I received from a fellow TARDIS Builder (on FB though!), I altered the dimensions to make the console smaller; apparently, I was making it too large based on older information. So some of the proportions will lokk a little different as well, although I do now think they look closer to the prop in the shots from the show...

I also changed the number of baubles around the outside. I originally had them pegged at 32, but then changed it based on size and spacing to 24 (which fits better with the 6 sides, tbh). But again, based on advice, I've re-upped it back to 32.

Console Assembly_002_201211_1513_015.jpg

Anyway, now that it's rebuilt, I can start adding more features once again  ;D

Chat soon...  ;)

D.

d33j r093r5

Apologies for the hiatus; you know what it's like around this time of year.  :P

Work didn't stop, but it was sporadic and slow given all the goings on.

The easiest way to see things on the model is to have it displayed as a solid object; makes looking at and determining which geometry you're looking at easier to pick. As opposed to wireframe or line drawing mode, which means you have to constantly check and recheck you've selected the right bit. Here's the rub: the colour of the console, while looking very easy to gauge objects, depth, perspective, and looking very pretty besides once its rendered, when it's not, it just looks black. Black on black. So for the purposes of adding geometry, I changed the colour temporarily so I could actually see what I was doing. Of course, I FORGOT, and went ahead and rendered the next drawing without changing the colour back first...

Main Console_001_201225_0248_018.jpg

I mean.... it doesn't look BAAAAAD, per se. One could imagine the Doctor standing at this console in the Season 18-20 console room. Anyway, it did what it was supposed to do, I was able to start modelling console decals (ie buttons, gadgets and doohickies). But for all future renders, I remembered to "Paint it Black" again  ;D

There was a longish gap between that last render and the next one. I was still working on it shortly after I finished that one, but then, at about 1am the power went out! My servers are connected to a UPS, but my main PC isn't. I was worried that I lost a hell of a lot of progress. Turns out, having the files on the server means that the Autorecover feature on the software works exceptionally well, and got me it back exactly where I left off. Mind you, it was almost 2 weeks later, so i had to remember what it was I was doing. Fortunately, my brain isn't so far gone that method in my madness is not a complete mystery to me :) .

I rebuilt the model in the RIGHT colour, uploaded it to the assembly, and re-rendered...

Console Assembly_002_201226_0907_021.jpg

... not quite finished. At this point, the buttons still need a bit of work in terms of size and placement, and the red decals need to be added.

Anyway, here are the latest batch of renders:

Console Assembly_002_201227_0133_024.jpg

Console Assembly_002_201227_0146_027.jpg

Console Assembly_002_201227_0159_030.jpg

... that's pretty much the controls. Now for the fun bit: The Time Rotor  ;D ;D ;D Will post more images once I've made some headway with it.

Cheers,

D

Rassilons Rod

Dec 27, 2020, 03:04 pm #5 Last Edit: Dec 27, 2020, 03:09 pm by Rassilons Rod
I don't know how you have the stamina to push on with the controls having not done the rotor :D

When I did mine (it was left unfinished) I had the main body, the dalek boobs, and the rotor.

Also the rest of the room. Yeah, I have been known to get impatient when doing 3D modelling :D

But your model is looking absolutely fantastic! Excellent job! :)
Public Enema Number One.

d33j r093r5

Just a quick update; I've essentially finished the console, and am moving onto the console room.

The time rotor wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be to model, although I'm certain I've got aspects of it quite wrong. Any thoughts or comments anyone has are most welcome :)

Console Assembly_002_201231_2338_033.jpg

Console Assembly_002_201231_2352_036.jpg

Console Assembly_002_210102_0138_039.jpg

Rassilons Rod

That is beautiful! So realistic! Very much looking forward to seeing her come out of spatial distribution mode  :)
Public Enema Number One.

d33j r093r5

Ok... have completed the preliminary console room, and stuck the console in it. This is what it currently looks like:

Complete Console Room  Assembly_001_210104_0111_042.jpg

I know the colour isn't quite right; The mottled purple/grey walls of the Rani's TARDIS are a little tricky with the simple rendering tools I have attached to Solidworks, and it makes it look quite unrealistic. The lights and lighting are wrong as well. That's ok, the final purpose is to 3D print it; doing photo-realistic renders is fun, but it's a little gratuitous for the project. ;) 

I've also taken a few liberties with the console room dimensions. Working off the plans exactly as they are laid out would lead to a more closed in TARDIS, which might be fine for the set, where they can get the cameras into all the corners, but for a diorama it kinda needs to be a bit more open.

DMLVulxX4AEa3HX (1).jpg

The scale and size of the walls is more or less right (except for the most outer ones, they're shorter and angled much wider, which effectively gives the Doctor his hiding spot from the Rani and the Master), but with slightly wider angles to allow a better overall viewing experience, and not hiding any of the features.

I will be adding more to it in the coming days, but it's later here now, and I think that's enough for today  ;D . Need to leave myself stuff to do tomorrow ;) .

One final render for y'all before I head off to bed.

Complete Console Room  Assembly_001_210104_0144_045.jpg

G'night!

D.

davidnagel

Gosh, did the room look that big onscreen? Could have sworn it was far more cramped than ironically a TARDIS should be on the inside.
Regards
David

Volpone

Quote from: davidnagel on Jan 03, 2021, 10:07 pmGosh, did the room look that big onscreen? Could have sworn it was far more cramped than ironically a TARDIS should be on the inside.
Concur.  The bit with the hatched T Rex seems silly, since it doesn't seem able to grow much taller than 5' 2" in the space available. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

davidnagel

mark.JPG

I apologise for the dailymotion quality of this image when there is a perfectly good DVD I could have been using.
Regards
David

d33j r093r5

It could be the perspective, and distance to the console. I'm working off the dimensioned set plans; I assume they're the ones they used. Having said that, the angles between the walls are a bit wider than on the plans, simply so that the diorama looks like a diorama. It's not much, but it does make a big difference when trying to view it...

I DO have a few more pictures to post shortly. Hopefully it will look a bit better... :)

Volpone

It's the camera angle and the set dressing.  The big, honkin' "power octagon" hanging over the console; the plinth/pedestals cluttering it up, the lights standing next to the doors. 

Because the camera is so much closer (and lower) than the "virtual" camera, I think it makes it feel like the room is smaller. (Because the "virtual" camera is farther back and higher up, it creates a feeling that there's actually space for it to be further back and higher up.  The actual, low, close camera angle feels like it is there because it *has* to be there because it is cramped with a low ceiling.)  Of course that's just a guess.  And we've established that I'm wrong at least half the time here. ;)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

d33j r093r5

Jan 07, 2021, 05:39 am #14 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021, 10:30 am by d33j r093r5
Ok, long overdue update...  ;D

I managed to find a better texture for the walls, so that it looks much closer to the original set. It's really a galvanized steel texture that's been overlaid over the top, with blush tones left to simulate the lighting. The angle probably still isn't quite right though, but I addressed it in subsequent renders.

Complete Console Room  Assembly_001_210105_0929_058.jpg

Anyway, having got that out of the way, I figured some more details would probably help with the sense of scale. I also adjusted the camera angle so that the right proportion of room would be visible, rather than looming over the top of the 3.6m high walls (Yes, they're that tall on the plans!)

Complete Console Room  Assembly_001_210106_1656_066.jpg

I managed to get my hands on a model of a baby dinosaur, which I inserted into the model as well. Can't take credit for that, but it's available for download from this link. I also started on the doorway lights. Not finished with those yet, they need finishing and tweaking. I'm rather pleased with the way it's turning out...

Complete Console Room  Assembly_001_210107_0838_071.jpg

Should have some more tomorrow...

D.