A Arwel Wyn Jones, nope scratch that, a TYJ Build!!

Started by soniced-up, Apr 10, 2023, 07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Owning a TARDIS, you really come to understand how, after hundreds of years, The Doctor's could become such a cobbled together, ramshackle thing. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

soniced-up

I know it's a labour of love, but how frustrating is it when you work the problem, but the "solution" doesn't work?!

Made a schoolboy error- I've spent most of the day trying to sort out the light issue and nothing worked. Then I realised that the base of the fresnel housing is smeared in silicone. Of course nothing will stick to silicone.

Except silicone!

🤦‍♂️

Now I can't turn the light off either. Oh well, I'll start again tomorrow fresh.

In the meantime, here's a couple of pictures, including the obligatory ladder in shot (are you an actual TARDIS builder if you don't have one?!) and a cheeky one in the dark.

IMG_1862.jpegIMG_1863.jpegIMG_1865.jpeg

I keep trying to get one in the dusk, maybe tomorrow.

soniced-up

Quote from: Volpone on Sep 24, 2023, 05:05 pmOwning a TARDIS, you really come to understand how, after hundreds of years, The Doctor's could become such a cobbled together, ramshackle thing. 

Totally!!!

soniced-up

Thank goodness for silicone glue!

It's worked a treat- I managed to stick down some Velcro at the base of the fresnel, which meant I could attach my cobbled together bulb housing.

I sanded the wooden beads which connected to the top of the lamp and the holes in the lamp cap, which meant they easily come apart for lightbulb maintenance! 😆

A quick touch up paint over the top of the beads to protect them from the elements and the cap, and my work here is done (😂).

I even managed to get my dusk shot.IMG_1872.jpegIMG_1879.jpegIMG_1878.jpegIMG_1876.jpeg

Thefirsttee1960

Hi.
Can you tell me where did you get the interior paper?
I have just completed my build and I am looking to do the indide. I have just come across yours and I like the way you've done the inside.
On the front page My build comes under Tardis completed.
If you can provide me with the information I need, my email is - garnantpark@gmail.com
Or leave a note under my heading on Tardis builders.
Thanks.

soniced-up

Quote from: Thefirsttee1960 on Oct 19, 2023, 09:13 pmHi.
Can you tell me where did you get the interior paper?
I have just completed my build and I am looking to do the indide. I have just come across yours and I like the way you've done the inside.
On the front page My build comes under Tardis completed.
If you can provide me with the information I need, my email is - garnantpark@gmail.com
Or leave a note under my heading on Tardis builders.
Thanks.

Hi, I've sent you an email with the link.

Lee.

soniced-up

IMG_2111.jpeg

Russell was right- frequent inspection and immediate rectification of weather damage is the way forward, as the fresnel top cap has split again.

I think I need a tarpaulin to cover it for the winter. I need to protect my investment! 😆

Has anyone done anything similar and could possibly point me in the right direction?

Volpone

I'm sure someone did.  Blasted if I'd be able to find the thread though.  It's times like this we need Galactic Probe.  He'd find the relevant material in under a day. 

My worry is that, instead of keeping moisture out, a tarp would keep moisture *in*.  I made so many decisions that made logical sense on my initial build that turned out, in the end, to be completely the opposite of the right thing to do that I'm a little paranoid. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

soniced-up

Dec 06, 2023, 08:19 pm #53 Last Edit: Dec 07, 2023, 08:29 am by soniced-up
So, I've kept myself busy today. In between finishing the outside Christmas decorations and scratching the paint on the roof of my car on the garage door (🤦‍♂️), I've repaired the cap of the fresnel light.
image1.jpegimage0.jpeg

I've patched up some paintwork on the cap too, as well as painting the wooden dowels the cap sits on.

Tomorrow, after the resin has finished bonding, I'll lightly sand the excess resin away and paint.

soniced-up

Dec 06, 2023, 08:35 pm #54 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2023, 08:37 pm by soniced-up
Quote from: Volpone on Dec 06, 2023, 02:29 amI'm sure someone did.  Blasted if I'd be able to find the thread though.  It's times like this we need Galactic Probe.  He'd find the relevant material in under a day. 

My worry is that, instead of keeping moisture out, a tarp would keep moisture *in*.  I made so many decisions that made logical sense on my initial build that turned out, in the end, to be completely the opposite of the right thing to do that I'm a little paranoid. 

I think it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, Volpone.

I'd planned to go to my local DIY/Hardware store today and pick one up, but I ran out of time. I had to take my son for his interview this afternoon for college next September.
The good news is, he was given a conditional offer after the interview.

I think the trick with the tarp is to remove it regularly.

Volpone

I might have to try and find that thread.  I feel like it worked well for the person who used it.  I'm just old and nervous. 
-The Doctor.

Volpone

-The Doctor.

soniced-up

Pleased with the results- literally took less than 5 minutes to lightly sand and paint.

My only concern is it will split again as it's clearly a weak point. I'm seriously considering have a 3D printed copy of it made to use instead.image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

Volpone

Maybe glue a metal washer to the underside to reinforce it?  (Or the top, actually, because the underside is probably easier to see than the top.  I dunno.) 
-The Doctor.

soniced-up

Quote from: Volpone on Dec 07, 2023, 04:43 pmMaybe glue a metal washer to the underside to reinforce it?  (Or the top, actually, because the underside is probably easier to see than the top.  I dunno.) 

That's not a bad idea! I've dug out some washers that should fit.