A Arwel Wyn Jones, nope scratch that, a TYJ Build!!

Started by soniced-up, Apr 10, 2023, 07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soniced-up

Apr 10, 2023, 07:21 pm Last Edit: Jun 06, 2023, 03:57 pm by soniced-up Reason: Chameleon Circuit update…
Hello everyone! 👋

Whilst I wait impatiently for the whole TPE debacle to sort itself out (see here: https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=11401.0 )

I've made a start on accessories for my eventual box.

I loved Time Girl's phone compartment solution, so I decided to shamelessly copy it, with my own little twist on it.

I think I will probably swap the phone when something better comes along.

IMG_1423.jpgIMG_1424.jpg

Volpone

See?  You can build a wooden box with a hinged door.  Now you just need to build one to go around it.  That is a lot bigger.  And blue.  ;)

All kidding aside, I hope the TPE thing gets sorted out quick and you get what you want. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Great phone.
Hope you get a box to put it in.
☺️.
Russell

soniced-up

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 11, 2023, 07:02 amGreat phone.
Hope you get a box to put it in.
☺️.
Russell
So do I!! 😆

soniced-up

May 03, 2023, 03:58 pm #4 Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 05:07 pm by soniced-up
312F8D8B-5496-4739-9361-38BED9E881FD.jpeg

So, not content with shamelessly copying TG's phone compartment, I've managed to procure a more authentic telephone similar to TG's- it weighs a bloody ton! 😆

I now have a spare phone that I want to give away free for someone else's build- how do I go about it? I don't want to fall foul of the forum's rules and guidelines though.

TG

Blimey! just like mine! :o (I'd better check mine is still in the TARDIS)

Those bakelite phones certainly are pretty hefty.

soniced-up

Quote from: TG on May 04, 2023, 02:33 pmBlimey! just like mine! :o (I'd better check mine is still in the TARDIS)

Those bakelite phones certainly are pretty hefty.

*whistles innocently*

😆

The only niggle I have is the weight, as I'm planning to attach the compartment using command strips (I don't want to risk damaging the fibre glass with drilling) and the maximum weight is 7.2 kg.

I may have to think of an alternative solution to attaching the phone compartment to my TARDIS.

soniced-up

May 11, 2023, 08:34 pm #7 Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 09:18 pm by soniced-up
So, a quick update.

Had a phone call this afternoon from TPE- they haven't resumed production of their TARDIS range yet. I can't lie, I'm a little disappointed that I have to wait a bit longer.

However, it isn't all bad news. Ian disclosed some exciting news for their TARDIS range- they are looking to introduce a fibre glass coating to all their ranges (whereas the Whittaker box is fully GRP fibre glass)!

I'm now in a bit of a quandary, as I went for the Whittaker box because it's fibre glass, as well as being my daughter's favourite.

Just when you think you've made your decision...🤦‍♂️

russellsuthern

Probably wise to stick with your daughters favourite.
Always a good idea to keep the family happy in my experience!

Cheers,

Russ

soniced-up

Quote from: russellsuthern on May 12, 2023, 07:46 amProbably wise to stick with your daughters favourite.
Always a good idea to keep the family happy in my experience!

Cheers,

Russ

I know, I know. But I do love a TYJ!

soniced-up

**UPDATE**

Had a phone call from TPE this afternoon with good news /bad news.

So the bad news first: TPE's Whittaker construction team are not ready to resume production anytime soon 😔

Now the good news: The other TARDIS team is ready to go, particularly with the new "fibreglass-type" sealant/paint!

So, after a quick consultation with the boss (my daughter), we agreed to go for a TYJ model instead- hence the Thread title change! 😆
Should be confirming the order in the next few days!

Happy, happy, happy Dad and daughter here!

Volpone

That's a good choice.  I'm sure there are people here who've studied the designs more than me but at a glance the two are quite similar.  Of course I have no idea how the TPE boxes are constructed so I have no idea how easy (or hard) it would be to hack a TYJ to make it more like the Whittaker box. 

On that note, I'll mention again how amused I am that we can tell the different TARDISes, because when I was a little kid, watching the old series on PBS, I never realized the TARDIS changed 3 times during Tom Baker's run.  It seemed somehow different for "The Leisure Hive" but I couldn't really put my finger on it.  Back when Scarfwearer was working on his Barachaki that could be reconfigured to be screen accurate for various different periods, I said he needed to do a fan film where he would change it to a different configuration, "materialize", have The Doctor get out and note that "the TARDIS has changed," and his Companion be like "it looks the same to me," much to The Doctor's consternation. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

soniced-up

Jun 06, 2023, 04:53 pm #12 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2023, 05:13 pm by soniced-up
I'm just pleased I'm getting to have my very own TARDIS, something I've always wanted.

The TYJ was my favourite growing up in the early eighties. Daughter is quite keen on it too.

The only thing we "might" do is paint the window frames a dirty white at some point.

Volpone

That's good.  I wasn't sure if the daughter even knew about the classic series.  The TYJ really was a nice box.  My only major complaint was the odd "POLICE BOX" signs.  I like them with a smaller sign area with wider borders.  There was the dark colored phone panel with the light writing, but I didn't know that was inaccurate.  Truth be told, I think it looks nicer than the accurate white with blue writing.  When I first came here, I looked disapprovingly at all the builds with white phone panels--especially the ones that people had made so they lighted up.  Imagine my surprise to realize this was the way police boxes actually were!
-The Doctor.

soniced-up

Quote from: Volpone on Jun 07, 2023, 03:55 pmThat's good.  I wasn't sure if the daughter even knew about the classic series.  The TYJ really was a nice box.  My only major complaint was the odd "POLICE BOX" signs.  I like them with a smaller sign area with wider borders.  There was the dark colored phone panel with the light writing, but I didn't know that was inaccurate.  Truth be told, I think it looks nicer than the accurate white with blue writing.  When I first came here, I looked disapprovingly at all the builds with white phone panels--especially the ones that people had made so they lighted up.  Imagine my surprise to realize this was the way police boxes actually were!

I do love the white panel on the pull to open phone hatch- especially the ones which light up!

However, I also remember that quote you posted ages ago on Moonbeam's thread about the TARDIS not being an actual Police Box, but an alien machine thinking what a Police Box should look like and getting it mostly wrong! 😆

Speaking of Moonbeam, as I've shamelessly stolen ideas from left, right and centre from other builders, I've ordered the "round things" Roundel tapestry for the inside of my box, just like his. If you're gonna steal, steal from the best!!