A Arwel Wyn Jones, nope scratch that, a TYJ Build!!

Started by soniced-up, Apr 10, 2023, 07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

I gotta say, that's some pretty work. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

TG

Congratulations! She looks really lovely

soniced-up

I'd asked TPE on my original order for the right hand door handle to be symmetrical with the pull to open handle and the lock underneath.

As you can see from the previous post, it's the other way 'round! I casually mentioned this to Ian at TPE in my last email, but said I was happy to "live with it".

This Planet Earth were not, as you can see:completed.jpegIMG_1781.jpegIMG_1782.jpegIMG_1783.jpegIMG_1784.jpegIMG_1785.jpeg

In less than 24 hours, they have changed the position of the handle and lock. That's good customer service for you!! 😊😊😊

(Photos as ever, courtesy of TPE).

soniced-up

Sep 17, 2023, 04:45 pm #33 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2023, 06:05 pm by soniced-up
Look what's just arrived in my garden!

Many, many thanks to Simon and Peter from This Planet Earth for making sure of its safe arrival!
IMG_1800.jpegIMG_1801.jpegIMG_1802.jpegIMG_1803.jpegIMG_1804.jpegIMG_1805.jpegIMG_1806.jpeg

davidnagel

Good stuff and the curtains work well! I might try that.

So what was the overall turnaround? And how does the thing go together?
Regards
David

soniced-up

Sep 18, 2023, 04:19 pm #35 Last Edit: Sep 18, 2023, 04:26 pm by soniced-up
Quote from: davidnagel on Sep 18, 2023, 10:14 amGood stuff and the curtains work well! I might try that.

So what was the overall turnaround? And how does the thing go together?

So, I wanted to order back in February, but due to TPE having to take an unexpected break, I didn't get to order until June- roughly 14 weeks or so from order to delivery.

Construction wise, it's pretty damned solid- the base, the roof three sides, door frame and doors.
The wooden frame is painted and then wrapped in a hessian type material and then painted again, to give it a textured look. The paint alone is guaranteed for 15 years whereas the hessian-type polymer material will make it last significantly longer.

It's a first for TPE; Simon (the very nice chap who constructed, delivered and assembled it) believes it'll last longer than GRP fibreglass!

The roof is then sealed with silicone.

Simon also attached the phone cupboard behind the pull to open panel.

The Roundel tapestries I ordered here:
https://www.redbubble.com/i/tapestry/The-Roundels-by-TakeTwoProps/68815385.ODB3H

I've roughly pinned them up for now, I've ordered some Velcro to attach them properly.

I'm really, really pleased with it- I can spend hours just staring at it!!!

Volpone

The best is when the novelty's worn off and you kind of start to forget about it.  Then, one day as you're making coffee for the morning, you look up and see it and remember you have a TARDIS in your backyard. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

soniced-up

Sep 19, 2023, 06:26 pm #37 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2023, 06:53 pm by soniced-up
So, I've spent the last couple of days tweaking the interior.
First off, I've lowered the the phone slightly as it looked a little bit too high behind the pull to open hatch:
IMG_1825.jpeg

Then I've taken down the Roundel tapestries, attached Velcro to them and folded/shortened the second one to fit the right side of the interior:
IMG_1827.jpeg

Phone hatch from the interior, alà TG's magnificent TARDIS:
IMG_1829.jpeg

Interior lighting- it's amazing what you can pick up from eBay. LED strips connected to a battery motion sensor. So when I open the door, the lights come on:
IMG_1826.jpeg

IMG_1828.jpegIMG_1830.jpeg

Finally, a dusk shot. I've purchased a remote controlled drone light for the lamp. Just got to get hold of a ladder big enough to fit it...!
IMG_1822.jpeg

moonbeam

That looks brilliant, the quality looks spot on, I'd be over the moon if that was mine, mint!

soniced-up

Quote from: moonbeam on Sep 20, 2023, 06:15 pmThat looks brilliant, the quality looks spot on, I'd be over the moon if that was mine, mint!

That's very kind of you to say. I still have TARDIS envy of yours!

I took inspiration from you for the Roundel tapestries- so many thanks for that.

davidnagel

Quote from: soniced-up on Sep 18, 2023, 04:19 pmConstruction wise, it's pretty damned solid- the base, the roof three sides, door frame and doors.
The wooden frame is painted and then wrapped in a hessian type material and then painted again, to give it a textured look. The paint alone is guaranteed for 15 years whereas the hessian-type polymer material will make it last significantly longer.

Pictures man! pictures!
Regards
David

soniced-up

Quote from: davidnagel on Sep 22, 2023, 03:05 pm
Quote from: soniced-up on Sep 18, 2023, 04:19 pmConstruction wise, it's pretty damned solid- the base, the roof three sides, door frame and doors.

Pictures man! pictures!

Ok, ok!! 😆

soniced-up

In all the excitement of last Sunday, I didn't take many pictures of Simon putting my TARDIS together 🤦‍♂️.

The pictures show the polymer hessian / resin that's wrapped around the build. Simon then scrubbed it with fine steel wool to give it the scuffed look- the attention to detail is simply stunning.

IMG_1845.jpegIMG_1849.jpegIMG_1850.jpeg

soniced-up

Barely a week in and TARDIS maintenance is already required.

The top of the light is connected with wooden dowels fitting into a plastic sheath.

Unfortunately, the wooden dowels have swollen and I was unable to remove the fresnel to put in a remote controlled battery led light.

Luckily, Simon at TPE had thought of all conceivable contingencies and talked me through removing the top cap.

Problem solved, you might think!

No.

Just no.

😉

None of the lights I had bought would work after a time from the remote, requiring a reset on the light or had to have direct line of sight (los) to work.
As I don't want to be scaling a ladder to remove the top of the lamp each time or clambering up to get los, I've had to buy a bigger light , which probably sits too high. I also cannibalised a talcum powder bottle to use as a base for the led bulb, just to add some extra stability. IMG_1856.jpegIMG_1857.jpegIMG_1858.jpeg

Due to a bit of brute force to remove the top, I've had to break out the Gorilla Glue and paint the past few days to patch up bits on the top cap!

I'm guessing this is just the start!!

soniced-up

Well, the base for the led light is useless as it tips over when you pull the door shut.

Back to the drawing board- I scrambled in the bin and pulled out the original base I cut from the talc bottle, stuffed it with bubble wrap around the side and tried again with the adhesive Velcro.

Fingers crossed...