May 15, 2024, 07:47 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Pale Green Console and Set

Started by tony farrell, Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Whilst I'd agree that the Brachacki plans for the Totter's Lane set show brown gates, this is for the Pilot Episode.

Do we actually have plans for the remounted (transmitted first episode) Junkyard & Totter's Lane set? If we do, it would be interesting to see what colour was specified.

T

markofrani

Jun 14, 2019, 10:36 pm #241 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2019, 10:51 pm by markofrani
From what I understand, Barry Newbery ordered a repeat  of the junkyard from the existing Brachacki plans.
The only plan he produced for the re-mount was for the amendments to the Tardis interior and exterior, and a section of the classroom corridor...

UC2_BARRYNEWBERY.jpg

UC_BARRYNEWBERY2.jpg

Is it possible that the blue gates were just taken from Sylvester McCoy's 'Remembrance Of The Daleks' - minus the spelling mistake?
BLUeDOORSjpg.jpg

tony farrell

Quote from: markofrani on Jun 14, 2019, 10:36 pm
From what I understand, Barry Newbery ordered a repeat  of the junkyard from the existing Brachacki plans.
The only plan he produced for the re-mount was for the amendments to the Tardis interior and exterior, and a section of the classroom corridor...

But we know that these weren't the only changes made between the Pilot Episode and the transmitted version. Specific to the junkyard, these included a new skyline backdrop and a cobbled courtyard.

So, even though these changes don't seem to appear on this set of plans, they didn't just happen, they were decided upon at some point in the design process for the transmitted episode. So there must have been an instruction at some point (possibly verbal - but more probably - documented) to tell the scenery department to paint a new backdrop and to either lay fake, or to paint, cobbles on the studio floor.

I won't list the numerous changes made to the Tardis set and console which also don't appear on these plans but - if I may - simply suggest that we don't have enough information to dismiss a change in the colour of Totter's Lane gates from brown to blue as an error in our understanding or a mistake made by a previous production team which has somehow entered the mythos and become 'fact'. (Though, it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case!  ;) )

This particular question is likely to remain unanswered unless - of course - some colour photos suddenly re-emerge from a private collection just as they did a few weeks ago with "The Power of the Daleks".

We live in hope!  :)

T

drgrackle

Where did this idea that the gates were blue come from anyway?
I've never understood why people think they were blue.
I've known they were brown since at leas 2018, maybe 2017, cuz I looked into the colour charts and saw that they were brown. Besides, they'd most likely be painted brown anyway for realism for the actors.