Apr 19, 2024, 03:54 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Pale Green Console and Set

Started by tony farrell, Dec 07, 2012, 06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

I'll build one and make a render to show you what I mean, though I won't get to it until tomorrow... :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

kert gantry

Nov 05, 2013, 01:17 am #181 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2013, 01:22 am by kert gantry
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Nov 02, 2013, 08:53 pm
WOW! Where does that photo hail from? :)

I'd like to know too.  The tower looks a bit tired and those are the reprinted photo-roundels, so I'm guessing early '66. The Ark or Toymaker maybe?

Rassilons Rod

The more I build it, the more I'm seeing how deceptive the photos are...

Sometimes it looks more like I see it (with a flat panel holding the 5 strings
of tube lights, just a few inches back from the perspex). And in other images
it looks like an open wardrobe with the lights pinned to all 3 walls....

I'll post some thing soon...

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Nov 04, 2013, 12:54 pm
I'll build one and make a render to show you what I mean, though I won't get to it until tomorrow... :)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Nov 05, 2013, 07:31 pm #183 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2013, 07:33 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: markofrani on Nov 02, 2013, 11:21 pm
Here's the best front one I have, you can see the join - just!

column_front.jpg

Well... Building this has been interesting. I've had to totally re-evaluate how I look
at these things now. These new pics are all just a little different, I'm starting to
wonder if they changed they way they worked due to repairs or if they just look
odd from different camera positions and lighting...

Anyway, unfinished renders... Try to imagine the perspex front and the lights are there...

What you have proposed with the plans:
Cabinet_1.jpeg

What I saw originally:
Cabinet_2.jpeg

What I now think:
Cabinet_3.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Nov 05, 2013, 07:35 pm #184 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2013, 07:35 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Nov 05, 2013, 12:52 pm
The more I build it, the more I'm seeing how deceptive the photos are...

Sometimes it looks more like I see it (with a flat panel holding the 5 strings
of tube lights, just a few inches back from the perspex). And in other images
it looks like an open wardrobe with the lights pinned to all 3 walls....

Marc, don't forget about that snippet from the print that Rob posted (darned if I can find it now to link it for reference). It shows the overhead view of the light tower and the location of the light tubes, which are across the back of the cabinet - away from the tinted Perspex (and of course the one light strip down the side opposite the frosted Perspex panels).

That might save you some brain-wracking work.

Dino.
P. S. If it seems like I'm a day out, well, I am. I'm in Tucson, Arizona now, and will be here until the 15th when we start the voyage back home. And I'm still trying to figure out how to work my mum's computer. It's obviously letting me post, but for some reason it's not letting me reply to any e-mails. So for those of you who have sent me e-mails and not gotten a reply... I'm not ignoring you; it's Mum's computer. She's doing some volunteer work all day so I'll have to get her to show me the secrets when she gets home.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: galacticprobe on Nov 05, 2013, 07:35 pm
Marc, don't forget about that snippet from the print that Rob posted (darned if I can find it now to link it for reference). It shows the overhead view of the light tower and the location of the light tubes, which are across the back of the cabinet - away from the tinted Perspex (and of course the one light strip down the side opposite the frosted Perspex panels).

That might save you some brain-wracking work.

That is true. Perhaps I have always misread those but I always thought it was meant to have some lights on the opposite side (5 on one 3 on the other or something...) and then they built it with one solid wall in the end.

Also that reminds me, in one pic, I think it looks like the "solid wall" might be canvas nailed to the side next to the V shaped perspex.
Public Enema Number One.

rob49152

I have made a stupid mistake!!!!!!

Slap me!!!

Under the Special Materials Column for the computer towers there is text that reads
--------
756 Blue Perspex
Acrylyn shee 1/8" thick
--------

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2013, 05:33 am #187 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2013, 05:35 am by galacticprobe
SLAP! SLAP!

There... consider yourself slapped! ;) :D ;D

Actually, considering all you've done for us with the snippets you've given us, this little oversight can easily be forgotten. (Forgotten? Forgiven? Ignored? You can choose the word, but definitely don't take it so hard. Shtuff happens!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 31, 2013, 09:32 am

given the rest of the Tardis' interior was mainly TX40/Silvan green, we're looking for a transparent plastic in a colour likely to compliment the pale green set (i.e., even in sets designed for black and white television transmission, the colours chosen wouldn't be completely un-naturalistic or wildly clashing). So, not shades of red or yellow, but shades of green, blue and/or grey.

I've been in touch with the British Perspex Company - who have been trading for 75 years (www.perspex.co.uk) and these are their colour charts:

plastic4.pngplastics5.png

As can be seen, the greens begin with 6, the blues with 7, etc. The higher the number, the more recent that product is and the gaps in the number sequences either represent discontinued colour shades or are to allow for future shades. Hopefully that bit makes sense  :).

So, we are looking for a transparent colour that begins with a 6, 7 or 9

plastic3.png

Tony

Well, thanks to Rob49152, the lighting columns dark Perspex panels were blue (specifically shade 756). The nearest current colour from The British Perspex Company would be 7T22 on the colour chart shown.

So, a green Tardis with blue-fronted lighting columns!

Marc, I'm away at the moment so can't post screen grabs. If anyone cares to oblige me, we need to look at the food machine scenes and where Bill Hartnell sabotages the fluid link in "The Dead Planet". Here we can see the column's insides - these scenes should show that the 'V' shaped panel has no fluorescent tubes and that we can see all the way to the back of the column. The pictures Jonathan has posted show four columns of lights along the back, whilst the ones I've posted show a column of fluorescent tubes on the opposite panel to the 'V' shaped  side.

Thanks again to Rob.

Tony

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2013, 11:27 pm #189 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2013, 11:27 pm by galacticprobe
I think there are five light strips total inside those towers, Tony: four on the back, and one down the center on the side opposite the "V"-shaped translucent side. So it looks like you've drawn your diagrams correctly. (And I think it's also shown that way on Rob's snippet; I know Rob will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Dino.

celation

Dec 11, 2013, 11:51 am #190 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2013, 11:55 am by celation
Looks to me like the Mylands colour 1 is correct.

I've been looking at this recently with regards to my console. I went for Dulux's Gooseberry Fool 4, which looks like it's fairly close in value, but not in hue or saturation.

image.jpg

I was looking back at Ambassadors 1, and the green colour is very apparent there. Much more like the Mylands 1.

image.jpg

Although - looking at that screengrab, I'm not so sure. Damn confusing, colours...  ???

tony farrell

All that can be definitely said is that the green colour is what the BBC called TX40.

I've looked at the Flint's website and cannot find the lighter green you've posted only the (darker) Mylands Silvan Green. If , however, you look  at the renders Marc has created from my dimensions, the colour he's used is Silvan Green and this apparently changes colour dependent on the lighting used (a point which I've tried to illustrate several times) and the colour grading/timing of the film used.

I'd go for the colour used for the Tardis' walls as seen in An Adventure in Space and Time but I'd be very cautious about accepting the version of the green used for the console in this production as (to my eye) this appears to be much too turquoise and closer to that used in the Pertwee Mark 1A console).

Tony

rob49152

I had put this in the wrong topic. This is the one I think it should be under.

Anyways...

I've never seen this photo until today. It shows the blue floor of the original console room. It's a lot more blue than I thought it would be.
BZqwKsvCMAAgQM_.jpg

markofrani

Fantastic photo! Is that from the BBC website? Any more?