"EXTREME BUFFETING" Kit's TARDIS weathering and paint tests

Started by KIT-KAT, Jun 12, 2019, 04:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KIT-KAT

I've been trying out methods for the weathering for a full-scale TARDIS

This version I have used poly filler with PVA glue. afterwards, I have sanded it down.
I've just sprayed it with primer and tomorrow will thickly paint it to smooth the finish.
I'm happy with it but it's a bit fine in its detail. This TARDIS has seriously seen Extreme stuff!

IMG_4254.JPGIMG_4253.JPGIMG_4255.JPGIMG_4256.JPG

I think it's a little too much weathering
No, not the mind probe!

karsthotep

I don't know, I think it looks good, Scarfwearer went pretty heavily weathered on his TARDIS.   I think it lends itself well to the look.  Great job in my opnion.

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Volpone

Ah, there's the rub:  It's hard to guess from one panel what the whole thing would look like.  I guess the good thing is, if you don't like it, it should be pretty easy to sand it down until you get to a texture you like. 

The thing that I think could be interesting with this is how it would react with light.  If you just give it a basic paintjob with no weathering (darker paint in corners and low spots and lighter paint on edges and high spots) it could look pretty pristine on a really sunny day or an overcast day.  But on a day where you've got some shadows going, all those crevices are going to be darker and it will look all weathered and beat-up.  At least that's the theory I'd like to see tested. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

ciderman

I think it looks good. The paint smoothes it out a little too.

KIT-KAT

Okay here is the light coat

IMG_4257.JPG

and here is the dark coat, with a bit of wash and sandpaper scratches
IMG_4260.JPGIMG_4261.JPG
No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

and here's the texture if anyone wants it for 3D modeling
No message is associated with this attachment.
No, not the mind probe!

Volpone

Heh.  When I saw the first pictures I thought it was for a full-sized build.  Didn't realize it was so small.  What will it be, 1:3?  Smaller? 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

KIT-KAT

Quote from: Volpone on Jun 13, 2019, 03:00 pm
 What will it be, 1:3?  Smaller?

Oh no it's intended to be full size! That's why I thought the details was a bit fine  :)
It's just a test on some scrap wood
No, not the mind probe!

stonemason83

Looks right to me
20190528_215819.jpg
IMG_20190309_170112_752.jpg
This is how mines turned out. I've used similar methods to you.
Take a look at mverta 's  ongoing project thread. I learnt alot
Shoes.?

davidnagel

Quote from: KIT-KAT on Jun 12, 2019, 04:53 pm
This version I have used poly filler with PVA glue.

Silly question, but are you literally mixing the two? Or is there another technique you're using or both mixing these and then applying them?

LOVE the tests in blue, it looks amazing if you ask me.
Regards
David

KIT-KAT

Thank you  :) Yeah I mixed the two
I've actually got some more update photos I'll add soon. I sanded it down a lot more and it started to resemble the Hudolin box's weathering
No, not the mind probe!

davidnagel

Quote from: KIT-KAT on Jul 16, 2019, 12:27 pm
I sanded it down a lot more and it started to resemble the Hudolin box's weathering

What a suspiciously convenient comment ;)
Regards
David

KIT-KAT

Haha  :D
Oh but you'd need to use more pollyfiller than pva or it gets to sloppy  
No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

No, not the mind probe!