Apr 20, 2024, 01:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My console

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jun 02, 2016, 10:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

My first post!

I've made a few consoles over the years, most have been a bit rubbish but I'm very pleased with this one.

I have what some might call a negative attitude to building but my rule is if you know you can't do something then don't upset and frustrate yourself trying. I knew I couldn't exactly replicate the Baker/Davison console so I didn't try but I think the overall look/theme is still fairly obvious.

All but a few components were scavanged from my previous, foam core board, console.

tardis_console_construction_by_hordriss-da1mhkl.jpg
Construction starts.

tardis_console_construction_update_by_hordriss-da24liy.jpg

new_tardis_console___complete__by_hordriss-da2bxmt.jpg
Almost done.

tardis_console_additional_by_hordriss-da4pi1d.jpg

Added "door handle" controls found by accident on Shapeways
Added 2 slider controls
Change radar screen style
Time column seamless case with top (something I've never managed on previous replicas)
Randomizer lever now red

N.B. The top and bottom of the pink "time rotor" are in fact fluorescent green but on camera they look yellow.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

13drwho

This looks great! I can definitely see the 4th-5th Doctor console influence. It looks like a BBC variant of the console. I see all these wonderful consoles and think I should build a mark II of mine!

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks.

I'd seen your console even before joining the this group, it came up in my research, I think it's superb, obviously it's up to you and I know there are always new ideas, tweaks and adjustments plaguing the imagination but I would say you have no need for a MKII.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

Jun 03, 2016, 05:18 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2017, 07:30 am by galacticprobe
I agree with 13drwho on this one! You did a magnificent job.

But about this...
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jun 02, 2016, 10:57 am
I have what some might call a negative attitude to building but my rule is if you know you can't do something then don't upset and frustrate yourself trying. I knew I couldn't exactly replicate the Baker/Davison console so I didn't try but I think the overall look/theme is still fairly obvious.

There is that saying "You are your own worst critic." So please don't sell yourself short on your skills or what you build. You said it yourself above: "...the overall look/theme is still fairly obvious." Many of our members have only sought to capture the essence of the original prop to the point where anyone can look at it and say "Oh yeah! That was the Pertwee console", or "That was the Tom Baker console during the 'Key To Time' series". Not everyone here (myself included) has the skills to build an exacting replica, and those that can't do their best to capture the spirit of the original prop they're trying to replicate, whether it be a TARDIS, a console, or any of the props used in the show.

So don't feel intimidated when you see some of those exacting replicas that are in our Build Diaries and Galleries Sections; think of those as inspiration. You can even send the builders a PM and talk to them off-Forum about how they did things if you want more details than what's in their diaries, or ask them to help talk you through something you're having trouble with that may be more complicated than what you would normally log in a diary.

Remember, we're all here to help each other. (Or to quote Red Green: "Remember, I'm pulling for you; we're all in this together." ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

That is an amazing console.
You should be very proud of yourself.
Every time I see a great console like this it makes me want to start one but I haven't got the room!

Keep up the good work.

Russell

Cardinal Hordriss

Thanks.

I haven't got room for a full sized one, even if I did I couldn't build one lol. I scaled mine down so it's life sized but not full sized if you see the distinction

davidnagel

Regards
David

Cardinal Hordriss

Changes to a couple of panels. 14101880_10154517267049319_2032919775_n.jpg14102067_10154517266969319_1974549888_n.jpg

galacticprobe

Aug 25, 2016, 07:06 am #8 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2016, 07:11 am by galacticprobe
Those changes look nice, CH. What did you do with that large meter/dial that was where the pink screen is now? Did you relocate it, or just remove it all together? (What was that instrument, by the way? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere and I can't tell what it is from the photos.)

And speaking of photos, please feel free to post more. (We do love our photos! ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

The big metre just didn't fit right, it stuck out too much. It was actually a thermometer, I found it in the tat section of TK Maxx.

It was never fitted to the console so removing it was simple, the components moved to the next panel aren't fitted down yet either, not certain about keeping them there.

galacticprobe

Aug 26, 2016, 07:17 am #10 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2016, 07:17 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Aug 25, 2016, 10:13 pm
The big metre... It was actually a thermometer, I found it in the tat section of TK Maxx.

TK Maxx? Do you mean "TJ Maxx"? If you did, I've got one near me and I'll have to get the wife to take me there! (And what is the "tat" section? I know terms are different between the UK and US, so I'm trying to learn when I see something new.)

Dino.

Angelus Lupus

Don't know about the US, but I'm fairly sure it's called TK over here... although TJ might be the same thing with a different name for you Americans.
Tat.. well, that's easy. I think it comes from the word 'tatty' so it's just cheap stuff, bargain bin, odds'n'sods, y'know.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Cardinal Hordriss

Exactly.

The stock is largely random, like a jumble sale.

There's no brand name on it either I'm afraid.

galacticprobe

Aug 28, 2016, 06:23 am #13 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2016, 06:23 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Aug 26, 2016, 11:42 am
Exactly.

The stock is largely random, like a jumble sale.

The wife and I have found some great deals at TJ Maxx before, so we're quite familiar with the place. Jumble sale is right: on steroids! No matter about the brand name (on the thermometer). I know what it looks like (now). Not that I'd use one, but if I see one there and the price is right, I just might pick it up... just in case.

Thanks, CH!

Dino.

Cardinal Hordriss

Lots of changes, mainly elements from the 1963 console like the embossed labels, chicken head knob, time path detector etc. plus some other new components and go faster stripes.

Sorry about the lighting but it was the best I can do the weather being as it is.15046323_10154767390919319_1332274938_n.jpg