News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 TARDIS Console room

Started by rob49152, Jun 06, 2010, 11:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jun 12, 2010, 12:22 am #15 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2010, 12:24 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rob49152 on Jun 11, 2010, 11:19 pm
I used a framegrab from the 11th hour. In that shot its clearly a blue screen. In Victory of the Daleks it switched to an orangey/brown screen.

It's actualy an LCD monitor stuck into a custom case made to look like an old TV. Because its a TN Film monitor (aka El-Cheapo) it has a low angle of visibility. If you look at it at an angle it appears to become a negative of itself.

Who ever it was that supplied me with the sketchup model also said they'd send along the .psd files for use in whatever animation program they used for the actual display. Sadly they never did. That would have been pretty sweet to have

conosole_monitor.JPG

AH! You fool! :o You've made me question my own brain! ??? (Not that I need any outside help with that. :P) Now I have to wait around to see "The Eleventh Hour" again so I can pay closer attention to it. I always thought I noticed details like that. :-\

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type 83

Jun 12, 2010, 05:21 pm #16 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2010, 07:55 pm by type 83
You have the handle of the Pinball machine off a bit, it's on the coral not the leather.

Watch the start of The Time of Angels for proof, when they're chasing the spaceship.

dreamland fantasy

I may not be a big fan of the new series style control rooms and consoles, but that is some seriously nice work there. Love the texturing.

Kind regards,

Francis

galacticprobe

Jun 22, 2010, 06:27 am #18 Last Edit: Jun 22, 2010, 06:29 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: type 83 on Jun 12, 2010, 05:21 pm
You have the handle of the Pinball machine off a bit, it's on the coral not the leather.

Watch the start of The Time of Angels for proof, when they're chasing the spaceship.

Unless they've moved things around on the console (naaah... they never do that) the pinball handles are on the leather:

PinballClose-up.jpg

It's the keyboard that's a bit high, unless it's on one of those keyboard slides that you can raise when you need it and lower when you want it out of the way.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

Quote from: type 83 on Jun 12, 2010, 05:21 pm

It's the keyboard that's a bit high, unless it's on one of those keyboard slides that you can raise when you need it and lower when you want it out of the way.

The keyboard is on some kind of swing arm suspended from underneath. It is pretty low in that image you added. Actually thanks for that image!! I had no idea what the leather behind the keyboard actually looked like.

galacticprobe

Glad I was able to be of help (or at least my pic was). I'll poke around my folders; I may have a larger image to post (or send you if it's too big) that will give you better resolution.

Dino.

type 83

Jul 12, 2010, 07:36 am #21 Last Edit: Jul 26, 2010, 10:23 am by type 83
Ah, you also need to put the Hot, Cold names on the taps.
There's a good shot in The Time of Angels.
Also, you still have the home box recorder on the console when you don't need to.

rob49152

Just a quick test render. I started again from scratch and this time I think I have the shape for each side much more accurate

console.jpg

I'm very happy with the texture of this one.
typewriter2.jpg

Kingpin

Spectacular.

I concur, the shape and texture of the console segments looks a lot closer now.

riftmaster

agreed! (also it looks more real)

p.s.  it makes mine look really bad :P, keep up the good work

Elvis Gump

I was skimming at first and completely fooled looking at the photos before reading and thought they were the real thing. WOW doesn't really cover it.

I'd really like to see your take on some of those concept sketches that were seen in the Confidential episode last year where they were showing Matt all the different ideas they had leading up to this console room. Some of them in photo-realism would be awesome.

DoctorWho8

Can I say it looks sexy? ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

rob49152

Quote from: Elvis Gump on May 24, 2011, 12:28 am
I was skimming at first and completely fooled looking at the photos before reading and thought they were the real thing. WOW doesn't really cover it.

I'd really like to see your take on some of those concept sketches that were seen in the Confidential episode last year where they were showing Matt all the different ideas they had leading up to this console room. Some of them in photo-realism would be awesome.

I was thinking about some of them. I was watching the video the other day and thought some of the sketches look better than what we ended up getting.

Maybe when this is done and I've finished updating my own console room design

galacticprobe

May 24, 2011, 07:30 am #28 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:52 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rob49152 on May 24, 2011, 07:20 am

I was thinking about some of them. I was watching the video the other day and thought some of the sketches look better than what we ended up getting.

Is that video available on Youtube or someplace where we Yanks can see it? (And of so, could you please post a link?) We never get 'Confidential' over here, not even on BBC America! And for some reason many of those sorts of videos on the Official BBC site say "Not Available in Your Area" when we try to play them.

Dino.

drew30

i hate when that happens. can't view in your area. i thought it was the world wide web? i'm just glad they got the good doctor playing over here.