Mar 29, 2024, 06:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 TARDIS Console room

Started by rob49152, Jun 06, 2010, 11:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor who2

May 24, 2011, 05:22 pm #30 Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:48 pm by Scarfwearer
AWESOME!!! That is amazing, love the detail thats going into it, keep up the good work.

Spoiler
Perhaps you could make a darts board and score chart like in last weeks episode of Doctor Who, The Rebel Flesh.
[close]
Just an idea :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

davidnagel

Wowsers! Doesn't that look stunning!
Regards
David

superrichi1a

The BBC have completely misused this set. If you watch carefully, in a typical episode, the set is only shown from 2 camera angles (besides when the cameras focus on the actors): By the doors, and a wide shot from downstage. From these 2 angles, you can't really see much of the set.
I mean, they spend a quarter of a million pounds on a huge new TARDIS set, and we have yet to get even a glimpse of the cubby hole bbehind the main staircase, or the tunnel at the end of the secondary one. Those secondary doors - what do they even look like? They go to the trouble of putting them there, making them look nice on a plinth with a riased dias, and barely anyone knows of their existance!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

rob49152

I've finished the new hand railing and 5 out of the 6 console panels
image1920a.JPG

deck5

Quote from: rob49152 on Jul 09, 2011, 09:26 pmI've finished the new hand railing and 5 out of the 6 console panels

Beautiful work!

slidin_sidewayz

My goodness. I would have sworn that was a photo of the set! O_o

Rassilons Rod

What are your render times like now? ..and your texture image sizes?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

riftmaster

WOW, looks better than ever!

rob49152

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 10, 2011, 09:14 am
What are your render times like now? ..and your texture image sizes?

Well I was rendering this last image out for a magazine. So its at 5120x2880px and it took 55hours!!

Most textures are at least 1200x1200px. I am running Windows 7 64bit with 12gigs of ram. Thankfully with a 64bit OS I can continue to work on other stuff and cruise the web while its rendering in the background.

the scene has 1326456 polygons and takes up 254.4 megs of ram to load

Rassilons Rod

Didn't you have a nice server machine at one stage as well as your main workstation?

You have 3 times the ram I have (and I only have a 512Gb card...) I need to upgrade BIG time, but it's probably not going to be till next year.
Public Enema Number One.

rob49152

I did indeed. That was 7 years ago now I think?? It was a Dual 2.4Ghz Xeon CPU system with 8gigs. The power supply died and took everything with it :( I have been pricing out a new system and the xeons I want are $2200 a piece. Just a little out of my price range... like mars distance.

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2011, 04:51 am #41 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 04:52 am by galacticprobe
Have you looked into a possible Mac? They're coming down in price to where they're getting competitive with PCs. And I remember from when I was working the engineers there absolutely raved about the Mac's graphics capabilities. They did all of their rendering on Macs.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Jul 12, 2011, 09:37 am #42 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2011, 09:38 am by rassilonsrod
Yeah, it's pretty standard - Mac people rave about Macs and PC people rave about PCs... (I try to keep out of that debate as much as possible really).

Thing is, the hardware is exactly the same these days (except for a few plugs which the Mac people have changed, just to be difficult).
Public Enema Number One.