May 13, 2024, 11:58 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Console Control Panels

Started by tony farrell, Dec 14, 2014, 09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

As always Tony, looks great! The only thing I'm not sure about is the height of the handle. I think it might be slightly taller than you've drawn, especially as the photo looks down on it.
I've cobbled a rough idea of what I think anyway...

handle_B.jpg

tony farrell

Oct 18, 2015, 10:49 am #437 Last Edit: Oct 18, 2015, 10:55 am by Tony Farrell
Haha Marc, I did say this was a 'work in progress' and up till now, I didn't have Jonathan's excellent picture to work from!  :)

Thanks for the comment Jonathan, I agree my provisional drawing shows the handle as not being 'tall enough'. your latest close-up appears to have slightly 'squashed' the image when you rotated it slightly..... I agree with the over all length as 4.25" and the handle as 4" however, I make the disc/bezel 1.875" diameter and not 2".

I'll have a play  :D

T

markofrani

Tony, you may be right about the disc.
This pic seems to show that it's under 2 inches...

lever 2a.jpg

galacticprobe

Oct 19, 2015, 03:11 pm #439 Last Edit: Oct 19, 2015, 03:12 pm by galacticprobe
Tony, once you're done with this control (which looks really amazing since you're doing all of this in Paint: something I've said before and can't say enough), in keeping with your naming convention for the console's controls, since the large levers are "Primary Levers", and the smaller ones with the red and yellow knobs on their tips are "Secondary Levers", these silver ones could be "Tertiary Levers".

What do you think?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Oct 21, 2015, 12:44 pm #440 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2015, 02:49 pm by rassilonsrod
Is it just the silver handles and the oven knob that we're missing now?
EDIT: Also the speaker grills (to synchronise with your symmetry diagram) and the new measurements on the Radiation Meter :)
(Not trying to rush you, just getting a sense of where we are :) )

Just messing with some tests for destroying the paint work with scratches, while we await more plans ;)

2015-10-21_01_Test-Render_Paint.jpg

2015-10-21_02_Test-Render_Paint.jpg

2015-10-21_03_Test-Render_Paint.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 21, 2015, 03:54 pm #441 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2015, 03:57 pm by galacticprobe
Nice work, Marc! Great progression with the scratches and paint loss on those indicator lamps. And that's a fantastic rendering of the Fast Return switch!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Haha, Dino, you beat me to it! I like the scratched effect on the second picture best - I think that is very effective indeed. Is there any chance you could slightly lighten your renders Marc - that way we should be able to see more detail like the lower 'cross-rails' inside the ventilation grilles?

In terms of things outstanding:

The Handle Levers (what Dino's called the 'tertiary levers', which I rather like) are nearly ready.
The Radiation Meter - just the radius of the base plate's arc to be added (no changes to any of the other dimensions already specified).
Toggle and the three ancillary switches - still to be done.
The Fast Return Switch - I obviously need to draw a side elevation to clarify that the 'release mechanism for the jack socket' should be shaped like the letter 'u' on its side and not the tube-like structure shown in Marc's render. 

I think that's all :)

T

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Here we go gentlemen - for your collective delight and delectation :) :

lever handles.png

T

Rassilons Rod

Lovely! That means that tomorrow, I'm going to build the Large Chickenheads and these :)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 21, 2015, 04:12 pm
In terms of things outstanding:

The Handle Levers (what Dino's called the 'tertiary levers', which I rather like) are nearly ready.
The Radiation Meter - just the radius of the base plate's arc to be added (no changes to any of the other dimensions already specified).
Toggle and the three ancillary switches - still to be done.
The Fast Return Switch - I obviously need to draw a side elevation to clarify that the 'release mechanism for the jack socket' should be shaped like the letter 'u' on its side and not the tube-like structure shown in Marc's render. 

The Fast Return, It's more like a backwards D, the way I've done it (but that doesn't come out very clearly in the angle I've rendered it).

I assume the oven knob is one of the ones you  mean by "Toggle and three ancillary switches", not sure which the others are.

Radiation Meter, we've discussed :)

Unless I have really missed something, you might want to have a look at the layout of your panels with regards to your speaker grills. After you posted your image showing the symmetry, I'm not sure the panels as you drew them match up with the symmetry plan.... (which is why I've not done all of those yet on my model).
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Oct 23, 2015, 03:17 pm #447 Last Edit: Oct 23, 2015, 03:55 pm by Tony Farrell
By 'oven switch', I take it you mean the Lucas-type 'trafficator' switch on Panel 5 (I'm calling this an 'ancillary' switch):

panel 4 operation of 1.png
5th panel.png

And the other two 'ancillary' switches:

sensorites_title1.jpg
panel3.jpg

T

(P.S., as we've previously discussed as few posts ago - I don't like the term 'chicken-head switch' as this is a colloquialism. Rotary (pointer) switch is more accurate!)  ;)

P.P.S., I originally drew panel 3 with a mesh grille:

3rd panel.png

However, Jonathan subsequently came up with a hi-definition picture from An Unearthly Child which showed that the original grille was in fact a simple Perspex panel or 'pane', see picture above.

console ventiliation grilles symmetry.png

So, what I've got to do is amend Panel 3's drawing to update it with this new information... Oh, the list just gets longer  :D

Rassilons Rod

Ooh. I thought we had the one between the rubber mats covered.  Also thought the other one on the same panel was just another rotary like you've drawn....
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Oct 23, 2015, 10:55 pm #449 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2015, 11:05 am by Tony Farrell
In the interests of completeness Marc, I should at least attempt that domed-switch plate and then the final square-plated switch which would then lead nicely into the toggle switches!

lionheart.png

Then - as they say - "That's All Folks"!  :)

T