Apr 28, 2024, 05:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Console Control Panels

Started by tony farrell, Dec 14, 2014, 09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Oct 05, 2015, 01:26 pm
Tony, I think you might have missed my message on facebook.  I was also wondering if you have screen grabs of the 5 function indicator lamps (I couldn't see any looking back through the thread - but 27 pages is a lot to trawl through).

Cheers :)

Hi Marc,
Sorry, I haven't been on Facebook in weeks. Do you mean the five 'Symbolic Indicator Lamps'? If so, are these what you want?
fresnel2.pngfresnel3.png

T

Rassilons Rod

Actually after screen grabs. The plans I have.

Largely cos I like the pattern I have for panel  2 so much I'm loathe to change it :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

OK Tony, here are some Panel 3 ventilation grilles pics. The first is the earliest...

panel3.jpgpanel3a.jpg

tony farrell

Oct 05, 2015, 11:46 pm #408 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2015, 11:48 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Oct 05, 2015, 07:17 pm
Actually after screen grabs. The plans I have.

Largely cos I like the pattern I have for panel  2 so much I'm loathe to change it :D

Here you go... the original Symbolic Indicator from Panel 2 (the discussion about these can be found on page 16 onwards of this thread):

the rescue.png

T

tony farrell

Quote from: markofrani on Oct 05, 2015, 07:45 pm
OK Tony, here are some Panel 3 ventilation grilles pics. The first is the earliest...

panel3.jpgpanel3a.jpg

Thanks for these Jonathan. I think I can now illustrate yet another rather pleasing symmetry which was present on the original Console Controls... Give me a day or so!
T

galacticprobe

Oct 06, 2015, 08:12 am #410 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2015, 08:12 am by galacticprobe
Tony, you are amazing with your artistry! Thank you for that other image of the column. It's perfect!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Tony, I've noticed that you changed the graphic for the Panel 3 symbolic indicator, at some stage....

Question: did it change at the end of season 1, or was it a correction you made?
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

We can 'blame' Jonathan for that - he posted a high-definition picture of Panel 3's symbolic indicator from An Unearthly Child which showed that there were originally  narrow silver strips either side of the circle on this graphic. It seems to have been simplified/repainted to remove one of the narrow strips from season 3 onwards.

T

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 06, 2015, 10:59 am
We can 'blame' Jonathan for that - he posted a high-definition picture of Panel 3's symbolic indicator from An Unearthly Child which showed that there were originally  narrow silver strips either side of the circle on this graphic. It seems to have been simplified/repainted to remove one of the narrow strips from season 3 onwards.

T

Ah so there's two versions :)

Good to know, thanks!

PS... a couple of renders to join this thread shortly, if I may :)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Oct 06, 2015, 12:21 pm #414 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2015, 12:22 pm by rassilonsrod
The original template I was using for the paint on the lens. Oh how I love that asymmetrical pattern. :(
2015-10-06_01_Test-Render.jpg

My new version (if you or someone can come up with a template that's a bit more accurate, please do :) )
Also, I switched from using a brushed aluminium look to the "light grey" paint from the small fader switches.
2015-10-06_02_Test-Render.jpg

And I know I'm late to the party with this:
2015-10-06_04_Test-Render.jpg

Man, that stasis switch is one of the most difficult things I've ever modelled (had to abandon not having triangles...).
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Oct 06, 2015, 03:38 pm #415 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2015, 03:45 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Oct 06, 2015, 12:21 pm
The original template I was using for the paint on the lens. Oh how I love that asymmetrical pattern. :(
2015-10-06_01_Test-Render.jpg

Yes, I like that version too. But, I'm not sure where it originated - it certainly isn't the original design, nor is it the later (simplified Troughton) version.
My new version (if you or someone can come up with a template that's a bit more accurate, please do :) )
Also, I switched from using a brushed aluminium look to the "light grey" paint from the small fader switches.
2015-10-06_02_Test-Render.jpg

This is the original design (just upside-down - as it was from season 2 onwards) and looks exactly like my version.
Here's my graphic for comparison to Marc's

fresnel2.png

I do prefer the satin silver finish you used in the first graphic though.  ;)

I notice the little dotted lines 'underneath' your renders - are these versions of my plans which you've somehow 'tilted'? That's really rather clever!

People might want to know that as I've revised my drawings in this thread (in response to comments/new pictures, etc), I've also updated the same drawings here:
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4825.0  This article is only three pages long (though it'll probably need to be extended to four) and so should be much more accessible than having to 'wade your way' through the 28 pages of this thread.

And I know I'm late to the party with this:
2015-10-06_04_Test-Render.jpg

Man, that stasis switch is one of the most difficult things I've ever modelled (had to abandon not having triangles...).

I really do like the way the light is reflected in the actual switch - it looks really photo-like!

T

Rassilons Rod

Oct 06, 2015, 04:52 pm #416 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2015, 04:54 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 06, 2015, 03:38 pm
Yes, I like that version too. But, I'm not sure where it originated - it certainly isn't the original design, nor is it the later (simplified Troughton) version.

I suspect it was from the DWM plans. I think until now basically everyone who's made a Hartnell console has used it.

This is the original design (just upside-down - as it was from season 2 onwards) and looks exactly like my version.

Bugger! I obviously looked at the wrong screengrab :D

I do prefer the satin silver finish you used in the first graphic though.  ;)

I liked that too, but I think it's actually less accurate. Years ago I was even using chrome on that :D

I notice the little dotted lines 'underneath' your renders - are these versions of my plans which you've somehow 'tilted'? That's really rather clever!

Just using them as templates, to line things up.

I really do like the way the light is reflected in the actual switch - it looks really photo-like!

Cheers, should look even better with the rest of the room assembled around it :)

2015-10-06_08_Test-Render.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Oct 06, 2015, 10:28 pm #417 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2015, 10:44 pm by Tony Farrell
Again, I like how the 'texturing' you've applied illuminates the metal panel, the Movement Sensors and the glass of the Main Meters - it certainly has a photographic quality. Might I suggest, however, that the Main Meters' diameters are slightly too small:

4th panel.png
movement sensor lens.png
curve for grilles.png
Meters - Needle Pivot.png

Seeing this render Marc, I wonder if you'd consider creating some 'chapter points' for my main reference thread (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4825.0)?  :)

T

Rassilons Rod

I'll check the meters tomorrow. But they should be right....

What did you have in mind?
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Oct 07, 2015, 11:00 pm #419 Last Edit: Oct 23, 2015, 03:53 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 05, 2015, 11:51 pm
Quote from: markofrani on Oct 05, 2015, 07:45 pm

panel3.jpgpanel3a.jpg

Thanks for these Jonathan. I think I can now illustrate yet another rather pleasing symmetry which was present on the original Console Controls... Give me a day or so!
T

As the two latest pictures Jonathan has posted show, Control panel 3 (like Control Panel 5) rather than being fitted with a ventilation grille was in fact originally fitted with a rectangular Perspex panel or 'pane' instead.

panel3.jpg
panel3a.jpg
_Robs DVD rippapolza-0-01-02-885.jpg

Unlike the ventilation grille on Control Panel 2, this original 'pane' seems to have survived beyond season 2:

detail2.jpg

When viewed from above, this original layout (with its mix of ribbed plastic and Aluminium mesh grilles (as well as the two Perspex 'panes')) gives a pleasing symmetry to the Original Console's Control Panels:

console ventiliation grilles symmetry.png

T