May 19, 2024, 02:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My console

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jun 02, 2016, 10:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelus Lupus

I like it!
You wouldn't immediately think the 60's/80's mash-up would work, but it does! The 60's dials and levers balance out the colourful 80's buttons (which they kinda went overboard with on the actual console) and the 'go faster stripes' lead your eye to the time-rotor.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Nov 11, 2016, 12:15 am #16 Last Edit: Nov 11, 2016, 12:15 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Nov 10, 2016, 10:08 pm
I like it!

And I agree! She's a beautiful mix of console components and it all works. Well done!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

Thank you for the kind words.

My favorite console design is the Baker-Davison model. I was tempted to give it the Pyramids of Mars look but in the end leaned towards the version which appeared the most in the show. At the same time I do like the original and Pertwee models and not being able to do an exact replica of the Baker-Davison console I decided to just mash it up with the bits I already had/could get. I already had a console before this one, made of foam core board so had a lot of the components already. The FCB version wasn't too bad, fairly sturdy and easy to modify but it was before I got all the proper plastic for the time column. That was actually the second such console as the first was destroyed one night when I had a fit and collapsed into it. Anyway after seeing a Doctor Who fan series plus seeing the consoles on here and now having access to a proper workshop and tools I decided I could do better so here it is. I know there are better ones on this forum, far better, but I am quite proud of it.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

tony farrell

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Nov 11, 2016, 10:34 am
I know there are better ones on this forum, far better, but I am quite proud of it.

And so you should be!

T

Cardinal Hordriss

I couldn't resist adding a couple of 60's toggle switches.

The housings on the console are made from lego but covered in a layer of card to hide where the different bricks meet, you can't tell what they're made from now. The rods are from an old telescopic aerial, the balls are metal and I had saved them in my bits box from an old metal bed. Paintig was the most time consuming part. I've got parts for 2 more but there's no space, unless I move the white nob on the left to where the switch is on the right and then put two more in next to them. I'm also walking the tightrope of doing too much and spoiling it.

15151347_10154811850034319_709965873_n.jpg15211554_10154811850029319_2070503359_n.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Cardinal Hordriss

Nov 24, 2016, 12:56 am #20 Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 01:05 am by Cardinal Hordriss
I went ahead and did it. Being toggle switches there is a little unwelcome horizontal movement on a couple of them but since when was anything perfect..
15215798_10154812776714319_1591597431_o.jpg]15216170_10154812814144319_1649073114_o.jpg

galacticprobe

Nov 24, 2016, 05:22 am #21 Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 05:22 am by galacticprobe
I like the modifications, CH! The panel is asymmetrical already with the red "stepped pyramid" to the left of the meter, and the pink cylinders to the right. So having the extra Toggles (what Tony has labeled on his drawings as "Secondary Levers") on the left side of the large silver lever handle and the two white knobs on the right, it really fits and gives the panel a nice look (and I imagine a nice feel as well).

She looks beautiful!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

troughtonstrousers

Toggle switches are amazing and yes nothings perfect even mine do it 0886DB8A-071A-4C7F-9A7E-5EF1C955B4BA.jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

Thank you both.

I'd ike to have a go at a Hartnell style time rotor, to swap over when I'm in 60's Doctor Who mode. I'd have to make some adjustments to the design to fit my smaller console, the plastic isn't cheap either...

tony farrell

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Nov 24, 2016, 01:51 pm
the plastic isn't cheap either...

That, sir, is an understatement! As Steve W and I found out.  :)

As I've said previously - I like your console and enjoy seeing the 'elements' from the various versions which you've incorporated.

T

Volpone

I missed this the first time around.  This is a very nice build.  I like the 1970s feel to the controls and gauges over monitors.  I like that some of the instruments don't make sense, but they don't just look like thrift shop stuff that was slapped on like the 2005 console.  And an excellent color scheme.  It really pulls everything together.  The red divider strips are particularly nice.  Very nice build.  Now I've got to have a look at some of the actual prop photos, because I feel like I like yours better. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

Nov 24, 2016, 07:34 pm #26 Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 07:35 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
Well I'm glowing from all these compliments, I should have more confidence in my haphazard Blue Peter methods.

Quote from: volpone on Nov 24, 2016, 07:16 pm
...I like that some of the instruments don't make sense...

They do to me, each one has a function I assure you lol. I'm glad you like it though, I'm always worrying my builds aren't good enough.

galacticprobe

Nov 26, 2016, 04:54 am #27 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2016, 05:00 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Nov 24, 2016, 07:34 pm
Well I'm glowing from all these compliments, I should have more confidence in my haphazard Blue Peter methods.

I'm glad you like it though, I'm always worrying my builds aren't good enough.

You've heard that expression: "You are your own worst critic"? Ask just about anyone about their build and they'll tell you of all the faults they see in it, yet ask anyone about someone else's build and they'll see the beauty in it that the builder doesn't. I guess you could say the same about you; you're selling yourself short, and you shouldn't. You've built a magnificent console that you should be proud of. You can always do some upgrades later on if you feel like something better (control, paint job, etc.) appeals to you, but as she stands now, she's just great, and you shouldn't feel like you built her with "haphazard Blue Peter methods". You've done a far more professional than that. (As "Other Steve" (volpone) says, yours could look better than the actual prop!)

Dino.

Cardinal Hordriss

I love this forum, everyone's so kind and supportive.

RE a 60's style time rotor, though in the 60's that name referred to another thing entirely, I decided to see what I could knock up in metal at work. There's a way to go yet, the base needs lifting and painting, I'm going to get 3 transparent, fluorescent pink rods in place of the light bars on the original to bulk it out a bit but see what you think. Like the rest of the console it's more my own version with the overall look of the original -

15218193_10154819486729319_846376829_n.jpg15240280_10154819486724319_1404504428_n.jpg

Angelus Lupus

Oooh, nice mix of styles! The pink of the later columns makes a nice addition to the square flag thingies. I like it!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.