Reference Pictures: The Brachacki TARDIS (Original) (1963)

Started by peted, May 09, 2009, 10:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 02, 2012, 05:42 am #45 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2012, 05:42 am by galacticprobe
They do look pretty shallow in many of the photos above, especially in the clear ones like from Deck5 ("The Chase") and markofrani ("The Rescue" and "The Keys of Marinus") just to name a few.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mechanoid

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Apr 01, 2012, 05:51 pm
Interesting, were the top signs just really shallow or are we looking at a box with bits missing here?

The Chase:
Chase.jpg

Although they do look shallow on other pics, isn't this a very poorly cropped photo-inlay or whatever the proper term is? I'm sure I have seen other poor examples of this? What does appear to be missing, to me, is the inside bevel to the sign boxes, side and the front shot that shows damage to the frame from the story.

kert gantry

Aug 29, 2012, 06:50 pm #47 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012, 06:52 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: mechanoid on Aug 27, 2012, 10:05 pm
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Apr 01, 2012, 05:51 pm
Interesting, were the top signs just really shallow or are we looking at a box with bits missing here?

The Chase:
Chase.jpg

Although they do look shallow on other pics, isn't this a very poorly cropped photo-inlay or whatever the proper term is?

Yup, that's exactly what this is. 

Rassilons Rod

You mean the box wasn't there in the actual scenes when they filmed them?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

mechanoid

"You mean the box wasn't there in the actual scenes when they filmed them?"

I would imagine that this is true. As I said I have seen some other poor cropped examples in other stories too, but cannot for the life of me remember..possibly Web Planet?

tony farrell

I think this what Mechanoid is referring to - from "The Web Planet"
Tonymyphoto (77).png

mechanoid

PDVD_016.JPG

This is the one I mean! If anything, rather worse!

{edit} I must have posted this at the same time Tony!{edit}

tony farrell

Rassilons Rod

Ew.... Jesus.... :/ Never noticed THAT before!!!

Well spotted :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

Looks like they photographed the prop and badly cut a print out to use for the dematerialisation effect. Probably saved them the bother of moving the full size prop. Interesting that this shows the temporary roof lamp prior to the one used later on in the story. The original fresnel lamp must have been lost or damaged at this point...

PDVD_016.jpg

Volpone

Huh. I must be getting my props confused. I was sure the original prop didn't have the molding under the lintel signs. But it is clearly there.  Great. Now I've got something else to do on mine.  :-\
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Dec 01, 2013, 07:15 am #57 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2013, 07:15 am by galacticprobe
I came across another color publicity photo of the Hartnell (Brachacki-Original) TARDIS prop, so I thought I'd add it here for color reference:
HARTNW13.JPG

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ironwolf

Judging by the earlier photos, though it is hard to tell, but it seems the Yale lock was added after it came back from Ealing Film Studios when they repainted the phone box frame. Would I be remiss in assuming this?
"I have always wondered what it would be like to be a singularity" ~Tom Baker

galacticprobe

Jan 14, 2015, 06:26 am #59 Last Edit: Jan 15, 2015, 05:50 pm by galacticprobe
Well, going back to a post from peted (on the first page of this thread)...
Quote from: peted on May 09, 2009, 01:02 pm
[attach width=352 height=240]233[/attach]

...we have this image of the Pilot version (white Phone Panel frame) and it clearly shows a "lock" on the door. Whether or not it was an actual Yale lock at the time is uncertain as we never got a clear look at it before the Doctor covers it with his hand, but there was definitely some sort of lock already there.

I think the only thing in the lock that changed over Hartnell's tenure was the "sleeve" it was mounted in - at least in its style - but it was always somewhat extended from the door stile.

Dino.