May 19, 2024, 02:29 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Some finished shots of Volpone's TARDIS garden shed...

Started by Volpone, Jan 07, 2012, 08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

I'm seriously impressed that you were able to move it with just two of you - even with a hand-truck - and glad that it's apparently still in one piece. Bon voyage!

russellsuthern

Agreed!
What a job!
Fingers crossed for the journey!

Russ

galacticprobe

Jul 20, 2017, 05:49 am #107 Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017, 05:50 am by galacticprobe
That image of your Old Girl looks like she's all settled in the cargo hold of Golf Alpha Charlie! (Off to find a missing Concorde, are you? ;))

Quote from: Volpone on Jul 19, 2017, 05:34 pm
And hopefully I find the signal lamp back.  I pulled it and "put it somewhere safe, where I wouldn't lose it."  

Oh dear. Do you know how many things I've "put in a safe place", and am still looking for them? (I just look on the bright side: they'll never get stolen!)

Quote from: Volpone on Jul 19, 2017, 05:34 pm
(We shall see if galacticprobe needs to flip the image or not, as it is coming off the phone. ;) )

Nope, Steve; your photo looks perfect! (Looks like Crispin's tweaking of things has solved that auto-rotate problem when using mobile devices to take and post photos.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Well, it was...interesting.  My brother and I look and sound a lot alike, but we couldn't be more different people.  And he has a bit of a "you're not the boss of me!" streak in him, so the danger was that the adventure would be a bit like my Dad and Uncle, trying to work on the Grandpa's farm together.  Luckily I had enough things to worry about that I just let him decide how to load the truck and he did a really good job. 

As for moving my TARDIS, because it doesn't have a bottom I seem to remember having done limited moving of it in the past.  I lift out the bottom, stand inside, and lift from there (although I forget what I held onto, so I could be misremembering the whole thing).  But it's a whole different thing once you've got the bugger on its side. 

Once we had her in the truck my brother considered just leaving it on the dolly.  Almost on cue the boards we used as cross-supports to put the load on the corner posts instead of the perilously flimsy walls, made creaky settling noises and we decided to flip her 90 degrees to get the dolly free.  Got it about 45 degrees and my brother, who was on the base, said the base was twisting too much because it had no bracing and refused to do more until we screwed the plywood onto the base to make it rigid, as you can see in the photo.  I didn't think it was necessary and it precluded putting anything inside the TARDIS, but luckily I'd rented a big truck for that very reason, so we had the space. 

The Moment of Truth will be when she gets unloaded.  And while I'm happy to be bringing my "old girl" with me, part of me is a little sad too, because building a new one would give me a chance to try some ideas I've thought of over the years.  But don't tell my brother.  After this much effort I think he'd murder me. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Volpone

"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Yayy!

She's up!

;D

Must be a relief.....

Russ

Scarfwearer

Good to see. :)

Double garage? I'd so not be putting cars in that... ;)

galacticprobe

Jul 27, 2017, 03:41 am #112 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2017, 03:42 am by galacticprobe
The Old Girl sitting back there, with that dirt around her lower part, makes it look like she's always been there. She's a natural beauty, Steve! (I wonder how long it will take for others around you to notice what you've got back there! ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jul 26, 2017, 08:37 am
Good to see. :)

Double garage? I'd so not be putting cars in that... ;)

A murder of Daleks, no doubt.  (Gaggle?  Horde?)   You really should be building War Machines instead. ;) 

You can see it from the street if you're looking.  The next door neighbor already noticed it (and complimented me on it).  6' behind it, on the other side of the fence, is a school.  My brother who, God bless him, helped me get the bugger cross country in one piece, suggested opening the foliage up just enough to let the kids notice it.  Not a bad plan.  It amuses me to think of putting a motion detector on the fence to trigger lights and a materialization sound.  But I probably won't. 

I did take materialization photos and video.  No tripod, so the angles may not line up.  And the trash can that served as a tripod is embarrassingly in frame.  So now I've either got to figure out how to edit video or remember who offered to do a video for me. 

A lot of Doctors have taglines:  "Would you like a jelly-baby?" "Reverse the polarity!"  "When I say 'run'..."  I think mine might be "In a perfect world..." 

Because I didn't get photos for the dematerialization from Oregon.  And no video of me in costume, popping out of the box for a look around.  And we certainly didn't carry every box out to the TARDIS before taking it to the moving van.  Although that would be awesome, loading box after box and any furniture that fit through the door into the TARDIS, dematerializing, materializing at the new location, and then taking all the boxes etc back out.  But in the Real World, there are time and physical limitations.  And you don't want to move every box 4 times. 
-The Doctor.

Volpone

Oh, and I'll get a street view shot, so you can see what passerby do.  I'd take one from the school, but I'm afraid my brother is right--if you know EXACTLY where to look, you can almost see a hint of blue, but I need to cut back a bunch of foliage for anyone to notice a TARDIS from the schoolyard. 

Oh, and it looks like the solar lamp may have been a casualty of the move.  I didn't see any breakage, but it may be that a couple days without sunlight drained the batteries too well.  :( 
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Jul 27, 2017, 05:45 am #115 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2017, 05:46 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Volpone on Jul 27, 2017, 04:30 am
Oh, and it looks like the solar lamp may have been a casualty of the move.  I didn't see any breakage, but it may be that a couple days without sunlight drained the batteries too well.  :(

Place the lamp in a really bright spot for a few days. Also, it's possible that some jostling during transport may have loosened a wire, or the bulb/LED (broken solder joint). So I would give that lamp a look inside to see. It might be an easy fix.

Quote from: Volpone on Jul 27, 2017, 04:27 am
A murder of Daleks, no doubt.  (Gaggle?  Horde?)

In keeping with the "Gaggle of geese" theme (both starting with the same letter), I'd day call it a Drove: (drove: a large group of people or animals (or other, sometimes sinister creatures ;)) that move or act together).

So... a Drove of Daleks!

Dino.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: galacticprobe on Jul 27, 2017, 05:45 am
Quote from: Volpone on Jul 27, 2017, 04:27 am
A murder of Daleks, no doubt.  (Gaggle?  Horde?)

In keeping with the "Gaggle of geese" theme (both starting with the same letter), I'd day call it a Drove: (drove: a large group of people or animals (or other, sometimes sinister creatures ;)) that move or act together).

So... a Drove of Daleks!

Dino.

A group of crows is called a "Murder of crows", so "A murder of Daleks" would be right.

Chris.
Chris.

russellsuthern

Yeah, a murder of Daleks sounds just right.
(an extermination of Daleks sounds a bit obvious.)

Volpone, I think Crispin is alluding to you shifting your TARDIS so it butts up against the garage wall, doing a knock through & building a nice, huge, gleaming control room.

(Be aware that if you do this, I'll be so jealous of you I'll probably never talk to you again! ;))

Regards,

Russell

Volpone

There's actually a side-door on that side.  But the problem(s) are that the TARDIS is taller than the eaves and I don't have the heart to chop a hole in its side.  I am sad that the garage is far shallower than I remembered.  I'd hoped to build a console room in the end, behind the car(s), but once a car and a motorcycle and a shelf are in there, you're right to the wall.  :(  I do have a laundry/utility room that is achingly close to working, but it's just a tad too small for a console--even if I took out the water heater and the washer (I don't have a dryer right now). 
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Aaah.. The problems of reality.. Things never quite work out just the way you want...

Never mind, at least your TARDIS is still looking great!

Russell