News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

emil's dalek

Started by atomicgraph, Oct 15, 2009, 11:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicgraph

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Jul 31, 2010, 12:41 pm
Lovely dalek :)

And very authentic looking TARDIS from what I can see of the corner of it. :)

Newberry style?
thank you, well no set style just a tardis but if i was to build another it would be a newberry for sure with the refit roof

Rassilons Rod

Cool, Newberry + refit is def one of my favourites.

I thought it was newberry style cos of frame around the door and no steps above. Really nice box though :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

superrichi1a

Quote from: atomicgraph on Jul 31, 2010, 10:49 pm
Quote from: superrichi1a on Jul 31, 2010, 12:21 pm
Wow, that, really, that, well, that really is looking great! :)
Can I ask you something?
I've been planning on building a Dalek for years, and I've always wanted to build a New Series one, but it's all the little details that I can fathom. I ca understand the bits about the skirt and base and all the straight forward woodwork-ie stuff, and have had some great help from RevSteve, but, I just don't get how the details work?

thank you for the complement. to answer your questions take a look over at http://www.projectdalek.com/ its full of information to build a full scale replica. pretty much it just bolts together (pretty much)

Thank you for replying! Actually, that wasn't the whole comment but Scarfwearer removed half of it because it sounded like I was supporting illegal selling of Dalek parts. I wasn't, totally the opposite, but I can't blame Scarfwearer for taking caution against possible disputes over copyright. Anyway, yeah, been a member of project Dalek for a while, some great tips, I have still yet to have a proper look through, most of my time is spent on the TARDIS at the moment, but I'm preparing for the Dalek later on, and, looking at this, I really have to say, it may be to early to tell, but I think your Dalek may actually be the best Dalek I have ever seen, just something about it I can't put my finger on lol. Anyway, can i ask you a question about your eyestalk? You said it was the first thing you built, but how did you build it? I know how to build a classicIeye, but how did you get all the moulding detail on the actual eye casing? It seems to be about the only thing about Dalek building that isn't covered ahywhere on any board?
Also, how did you do the detailing on the dome, seeing as I've never actually know anyone to make their own before, I know how I would make a classic dome, but how dd you add the ridges and recesses to your mold? Do you have to sculpt it by hand in the clay mould like the cowel?
Thancks, just trying to make sure I know what I'm in for before starting my build lol :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

atomicgraph

early eye.jpgeye bits.jpginside-eye.jpg

here are some early photos of my eye, the black back section is a magic 8 ball cut in half. the white middle section is a piece of PVC coupling i got that at home depot it was the perfect fit but the back section was a little long cut it so that it fits inside the magic 8 and the part with ridges look the part but i believe that there are more on the real props. the very front part is also a plumbing part some sort of rubber gasket with a beveled edging on it. the green details inside the gasket are just a foam paper type material from the craft store, i just cut it into thin strips and circled them around the inside of the gasket building the ledges with a separate strip. the dome is all fiber glass to get the details you just add them into the mold and fiber glass over them. thank you for the compliment on the dalek but let me assure its not the best not even close. my gun boxes are to slanted and it really hinders my gun movement i can't shoot anything on the floor :D and there are a number of things that should be sorted but for the moment i can live with it

geminitimelord

Very nice, I would love to do a DALEK build but I dont know where I would put it.

Scarfwearer

Quote from: geminitimelord on Aug 03, 2010, 04:18 am
Very nice, I would love to do a DALEK build but I dont know where I would put it.

No no, you're thinking about this all wrong, Scott: you're going to build a dalek, so now what are you going to throw out to make space for it?  :D

Crispin

superrichi1a

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Aug 03, 2010, 09:40 am

No no, you're thinking about this all wrong, Scott: you're going to build a dalek, so now what are you going to throw out to make space for it?  :D

Crispin

The most common option to throw out is your wife hehe. Either that or they leave because they don't want another s***ing alien in the house ;D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

mordrogyn

Erm....

In your TARDIS?
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

geminitimelord

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Aug 03, 2010, 09:40 am

Crispin

Well I have space for it, more to the question is the Lady of the House. Since putting up with a Police Box construction in the Dining room for a year including several holidays and family gatherings with the BOX sitting in the corner, I was informed that we will not have a Dalek sitting in said corner no matter how good it looks.
I am finding out that these things must be negotiated before you start the relationship. For example, I like to smoke CIGARS, and I informed the woman upon meeting that I smoke them in my house at my leisure. When said woman moved in that was an established rule, my house I smoke. I forgot to add that I plan on building a Dalek army and they will populate several areas of the house at my leisure. OH women......

superrichi1a

See, like I said. They don't like aliens living in the house. Build it in sections, and tell her your making a new work bench for the shed. Hehe, that's actually the story I spun to mine when she asked why there was a load of wood in the garage, then it was too late for her to do anything about it lol. Admitedly, she liked the idea, but she's already told me that when I start building my Dalek that
"That blasted thing isn't coming in the house".

Scarfwearer

Have you seen that wonderful tee-shirt on projectdalek.com ?

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Hmm this was a while ago - can't find it now...

Crispin

superrichi1a

Quote from: atomicgraph on Aug 02, 2010, 10:44 pm
early eye.jpgeye bits.jpginside-eye.jpg

here are some early photos of my eye, the black back section is a magic 8 ball cut in half. the white middle section is a piece of PVC coupling i got that at home depot it was the perfect fit but the back section was a little long cut it so that it fits inside the magic 8 and the part with ridges look the part but i believe that there are more on the real props. the very front part is also a plumbing part some sort of rubber gasket with a beveled edging on it. the green details inside the gasket are just a foam paper type material from the craft store, i just cut it into thin strips and circled them around the inside of the gasket building the ledges with a separate strip. the dome is all fiber glass to get the details you just add them into the mold and fiber glass over them. thank you for the compliment on the dalek but let me assure its not the best not even close. my gun boxes are to slanted and it really hinders my gun movement i can't shoot anything on the floor :D and there are a number of things that should be sorted but for the moment i can live with it

Oh no mate! You are seriously too modest! That Dalek looks great! And no matter how slanted your gun boxes are, rest assured-mine will be worse!! Luckily, I think I've found a way to make a passable eye for mine, and I'm cutting some ear cages as we speak, just to see how it goes. But to be honest it's the shoulders and dome I'm worried about. I think I understand the general method behind both, roughly, hehe, but, how do I put this? It looks really hard, is the best description I can come up with. I'm still not sure how I'll do the slats and gun box, but I'm sure I'll find some more info once my new Project Dalek account has been approved-I forgot my old user-name and password-it's that long ago, I'mm careless I know, oh well! Looking at your pictures, I've started to wonder something? What are your neck rings made out of? I assumed they were wood, but your pictures don't look like that and I wasn't sure how well wood would look.

Remember, that Dalek is really fantastic! Be more proud of it, you've done fantastically well!!!  :D

atomicgraph

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Aug 03, 2010, 04:12 pm
Have you seen that wonderful tee-shirt on projectdalek.com ?

Crispin

i love it to bad they aren't offering it any more.