May 19, 2024, 12:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Aug 06, 2021, 06:39 pm #1200 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2021, 08:04 pm by russellsuthern
                                    INTERLUDE

Before I go onto "Full Circle", I thought I'd share these photos with you:

pg 1.jpg

pg 1 (2).jpg

They are of a costume Tom Baker wore for a publicity tour, but was never worn on screen.
Not too keen on the scarf, but I love the coat, & think it would have looked a lot better than the one that was ultimately chosen.

The images are from the Bonhams auction sale site, which states that the costume was sold for £24,600. !!  :o

At first I thought, who is going to spend that much money for a costume not even seen on screen??!

Then I found this picture:

pg 2.jpg

Looking at the scarf, I'd say that's a riddle solved.

I'm sure you all know, but the chap pictured is none other than Peter Jackson of "Lord Of The Rings" fame.
I guess if anyone can afford it, he can!
He's a huge Dr Who fan, which is partly why he got Sylvester McCoy a part in the "Lord Of The Rings" movies.

I know the two Daleks he owns are actual screen used props, which are as rare as hen's teeth now.
I'm guessing his Cyberman is a screen used prop also, but I don't know anything about the TARDIS prop behind him. It looks a bit small & the lamp looks off centre?
If anyone knows anything about the prop, I'd love to know!

The only other thing I found of interest re: the costume was the waistcoat, which didn't look at all "Tom Baker" era to me.
In fact, it looks more like something William Hartnell would wear, as the picture below indicates:

pg 3.jpg

I'm very interested in Tom's non-canonical costumes, (especially as I approach the end of season 18 in the thread.)
It's almost like looking at an alternative reality of the show.

Anyway, hope you all find the pictures as interesting as I did.

As always, any comments, opinions, information welcome.

Regards,

Russell

Volpone

Eh, it's fairly appropriate to the Leela era.  We've established in this thread that, before Peter Davison, the Doctor's clothes were more clothes than a costume/uniform.  The coats changed.  The trousers changed.  Heck, even the scarf got longer or shorter.  Tome wore different neckties in different styles.  Jon ran the gamut on smoking jackets with an assortment of shirts and cloaks.  Even Patrick's trousers, the check pattern varied from quite coarse to much more like William's.  Even William had the occasional clothing change--most notably in the "Web Planet" serial. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Volpone

On a completely unrelated and totally inappropriate tangent, we had "Who" on PBS (public television) where I grew up, but the town I went to college in did not.  So it took me over 2 decades to see most of Colin Baker and all of Sylvester McCoy.  By the time I finally saw them, I really felt bad for the deal Colin got.  Got to see him at a convention between seasons and he was a trooper--really was carrying the show so it was shameful how he got thrown under the bus. 

Anyway, I'd heard so much about McCoy's run and how they added depth to the character so, after 20 years, it was really disappointing to see his episodes.  Or maybe frustrating was a better word.  I mean there were some serials that were terrible through and through, but there were a lot that were really, really good for the first 2 acts or so and then they just completely punted the last act.  "Battlefield," for example.  They trot out the Brigadier.  The set him up against Morgaine; make it out to be a final showdown.  Give us stakes, after watching the young LT piloting the helicopter die.  And then?...they pull some blue scaly Apocalypse monster out of nowhere who is unstoppable and dire and evil and...pretty quickly and easily dispatched with a silver bullet, as it happens. 

Or the WWII one with the Soviets and the Viking vampires.  Really wonderful first 2/3.  And then the ending is just rubbish. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Aug 07, 2021, 07:11 am #1203 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2021, 07:17 am by russellsuthern
Well,
like all Dr Who fan conversations, there are some things I totally agree with you on & other comments I must respectfully disagree with.

I agree that Colin was treated abysmally.
Crap clothes,scripts, no money, nobody caring anymore.

With a bit of love & care, Colin could have made a very good Doctor.

He got a bit of redemption in the audio adventures & is very active at the conventions, where, as you say, he is a complete trooper.
His love for the character & the fans really shines through.

Where we diverge, is the McCoy era.
Yes, he did get off to a shaky start, but nearer the end of his tenure are some of the best stories of the show- period.

Battlefield is a great adventure, & Curse of Fenric is just fantastic.

Rememberance of the Daleks & Ghost Light, are two of the best adventures ever!

Let's not forget that there were plenty of Tom Baker episodes that had a wonderful first few episodes, then crashed & burned in the final installment or two. ("Pyramids of Mars & Stones of Blood as cases in point.)

Class, discuss....  ;)

Best regards,

Russell

Jam Jar Lurker

I love the McCoy era. Very much a shaky start, yes; but Season 24 was full of creativity and ambition and was such a blast of fresh air optimism compared to what had come before that it's easy to be forgiving. And if the original run had to end, it couldn't have done so better than Seasons 25 & 26. Seeing the hyperactive McCoy appearing as himself you can easily forget how serious, subtle and layered his Doctor is.

Francïs

P.S. He once played the spoons on my head.
PSX_20210808_072701.jpg
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

moonbeam

Totally agree about the McCoy era, I've been really enjoying watching them again on the blu ray collections. I've also just finished reading Andrew Cartmel's book the Script Doctor, a great read and it really puts you in the picture.
That's a great photo Francis, I'm definitely not jealous, not one bit......... 
(Oh alright then I am!)

russellsuthern

Great pic!

I have Tom & Peter's autographs. Colin & Sylvester are next on my "hit list!"

They are both great ambassadors for the show & really good with the fans.  :)

Regards,

Russell

Jam Jar Lurker

Aug 08, 2021, 02:21 pm #1207 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2021, 02:30 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
I've just discovered (literally 3 days ago) that my eldest brother was at primary school with Peter Capaldi. Would've been nice if he'd mentioned it before (though he has been living abroad for a while).

I've never been to a convention, but have managed to meet a small handful of Doctors and Others.

And according to her previous owner, the Doctors from Tom through to Peter Capaldi have stood inside my TARDIS during her time on the convention circuit.

Francïs 20190902_202738.jpg
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

russellsuthern

Nice picture!

Out of interest, why have you never tried a convention?

Do you think you wouldn't enjoy it, or have you just never got round to it?

I was never the convention type for years (although I did go to the Longleat one.)

I was more of the "quiet" fan. I never got into organized fandom, never joined DWAS or visited any shows.

Believe it or not, I was quite the shy type & preferred to keep my love of Dr Who a bit more personal, if you see what I mean.

Eventually I tried a Birmingham Comicon where I met Tom Baker himself.

I loved it & have made the effort to do several shows since.

It was still a while before I plucked up the courage to go in cosplay, though, but I'm glad I took the plunge.

Now there are so many people in cosplay, I'd feel more out of place if I didn't wear it!

Anyway, I'd be very interested to know!  ;D

Regards,

Russell

(Ps: Please do tell me where to get off if I'm being nosy!)

Jam Jar Lurker

Aug 08, 2021, 09:03 pm #1209 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2021, 09:05 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
By best friend at school became very involved in fandom, eventually moving to London and doing a lot of work for Big Finish. But in my late teens I became full of self doubt and shied away from a lot of things. So conventions weren't really on my radar. I was an avid reader of DWM until very recently, and big into the merchandise, but like you, I got into the habit of being a quiet fan.

Later on, another friend and I would attend some smaller, local events such as book signings, "audience withs", comic cons and memorabilia events. And my wife Amanda enjoys these too, so maybe if there was a Glasgow Who convention we would go now.

Meeting Terence Dicks was wonderful but a very unlikely event. It was only about 6 years ago. I was browsing the net at work one lunchtime and by a complete fluke discovered that he was appearing at a local library the very next evening. And this was middle of nowhere Airdrie, where they thought a sci-fi night would be a good thing to try, so paid to bring Terrance Dicks up from London to speak to sixty people.

So I got to meet a childhood hero in the very building where my Dad brought me as a kid to borrow Terrance's Target books... and I was able to give him a copy of one of my novels.

Francïs

davidnagel

Not my best but...

Image1.jpg
Regards
David

russellsuthern

David,

I think that's awesome work as always.

Feels like I'm really there!!!  ;D

Many thanks,

Russell

russellsuthern

Aug 09, 2021, 12:11 pm #1212 Last Edit: Aug 09, 2021, 12:13 pm by russellsuthern
Okay, folks, Hope you are all well & sitting comfortably, because it is time to look at "Full Circle."

I think this is another great adventure.

It is intelligently written, well shot & acted with great location work & has a nice twist ending.

The Doctor sorts things out using his brain, not just waving his sonic around or blowing something up.

JNT continues his K.9 hating, unfortunately.

In Leisure Hive K.9 is blown up.
In Meglos he's repaired but his battery keeps running out & he even gets a hefty kick!!
In Full circle he gets his head knocked off!

Even back then I started to sense a pattern forming....

Even so, K.9 shares some lovely moments with Tom, especially when they are hidden by the river bank, watching the Marshmen rise up out of the water, so that's the scene I decided to recreate first:

Here's the original:

f1.jpg

And my attempt:

f2.jpg

This ones a bit more posed:

f3.jpg

I couldn't resist a couple more proper poses with my K.9, as the costume looks so good against a bright green background:

f6.jpg

f8.jpg

Had to dodge some heavy showers to get these shots, but I loved posing in my season 18 gear with my K.9, so I hope you enjoy the resulting photos.

More coming soon!

Best regards,

Russell

redfern

Again, I think your more vivid waistcoat (vest) makes the ensemble "pop" a bit more than what we saw in the actual show, even when we just get a glimpse of it.

Sincerely,

Bill

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: davidnagel on Aug 09, 2021, 11:09 amNot my best but...

Oh, it's easily as good as the CSO split-screen from the episode!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.