Apr 27, 2024, 04:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

4th Doctor cosplay

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

He really does not look good in the last season.  I was actually surprised at how good he looks in the spyglass photo from "State of Decay."  Because most of the time he just looks worn and haggard. 

It's funny, how things have changed in such a short time.  At least for celebrities and people with money and taste.  IIRC, Tom started the show aged 40 and left 47.  I don't know how much the UK gets American shows and ads, but Jennifer Aniston from "Friends" is something like 55 these days.  And she looks younger than Tom Baker did at 40.  But in the early '80s, it wouldn't be strange for a 47 year old man to look like Tom. 

That said, for most people, Tom looks about right at 47.  Maybe even a little youthful.  There are things one can do to stay young longer, but most people don't do them.   
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Rassilons Rod

There's a lot to be said for just growing old gracefully and not worrying about things.

I've never thought Tom doesn't look good. Sure he looks a little older and he'd been unwell at the start of the season (IIRC) so was a little thinner.

But this is all part of getting older. We all do it in our own way.

A lot of my strongest memories of ckassic who are from season 18 and I've always loved it. 😊

And just to add, Russ is doing a great job and I'm looking forward to more 😊
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

russellsuthern

Thanks guys!
Some interesting points.
Tom did smoke and drink quite a bit, but I think his haggard looks are more due to his illness and the stress of filming a 'difficult' final season.
I have seen pictures of him after he left Dr Who and he looks loads better!

I think people underestimate how much stress can wear you down.

Anyway, my way of coping with stress is to make and wear silly costumes_ so expect more shortly!!!!

Regards.
Russell

Volpone

FYI, he was in a 1984 episode of the US detective show "Remington Steele."  I don't remember the episode and haven't gone to any lengths to track it down. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

kutan66

I tracked it down years ago and..  well.. I dont think it will be getting a repeat viewing from me!

russellsuthern

I could watch Tom Baker reading out his shopping list & I'd be happy.....

Russ x

davidnagel

Regards
David

russellsuthern

Hi all!

Hope you are all looking forward to the footy this evening!

(I bet Mat Smith will be watching avidly!!)

I have been quietly beavering away with my season 18 cosplay, & can't wait to show you the results.
But there's a few bits & pieces I need to finish so I can post everything in the right order, so It'll be a couple of weeks before I can do a proper update.

It's a bit frustrating. I need to learn the value of delayed gratification...  :P

In the meantime, regarding Tom's appearance in season 18, although generally he is looking older, I found this picture which miraculously shows him looking like he's in his 30's again!!

Leisure 14.jpg

I bet that's the one he used to update his facebook page.....  ;D

(It's a pic from "Leisure Hive", so I wonder if he secretly popped back into the Tachyon Recreation booth & got it to take a few years off before leaving Argolis!!)

Best regards to all,

Russell

davidnagel

I think seeing Tom so old in Hive, and then rejuvenated at the end makes it quite contrasting and startles the brain.
Regards
David

Jam Jar Lurker

There's been much talk on this thread about Dr Jones's hat. Thought you might be interested to know that over the last few days Glasgow haa been transformed into 1969 New York for filming of the new Indiana Jones movie.

Francïscd7014994dc33bcf4e28545488842a22Y29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNjI1NjY5ODA5-2.60775849.jpgf77c7e956cc35e52b653b571fdad80c9Y29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNjI2NTQwNDY4-2.60976342.jpgHarrison Ford.jpg.gallery.jpg
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

russellsuthern

Jul 17, 2021, 07:17 am #1151 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2021, 07:27 am by russellsuthern
Yes,
I heard that on the radio.

The pics look very cool.

I guess some people may take a swipe at Ford, saying he's too old to play Indy (A view I would have probably held when I was younger...) but now I'm older I actually love seeing the old guard still doing the business....

(I think "Space Cowboys" was the 1st film I remember seeing where the older guys could still hang tough with the youngsters...)

Now we have "The Expendables", the "Taken" films & so on.

Youth must have it's day, but I love the idea that the old guys don't have to be put out to pasture...

After all, Pertwee was hardly a spring chicken when he was kicking all kinds of butt with his Venusian Aikido!!!

It's not over till it's over....

As Sly said to Creed in "Rocky 3:

"Just keep punching Apollo..."

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Hi all.

Just sorting out a bunch of photos, so it won't be long before I can kick start this thread again.

So I thought I'd get the ball rolling by posting some publicity pics from "The Leisure Hive".

I love TLH. Yes, the Fomasi are a bit rubbish, but everything else is spot on.

The design, production, filming, costumes are all just beautiful.
I remember going to school the following Monday so excited, asking everyone if they'd seen the new, fantastic Dr Who, & everyone saying, "You must be joking- I was watching Buck Rodgers!"

I was horrified... but it didn't put me off...Their loss!

The publicity shots most people remember are the ones with Tom & Lalla in front of the TARDIS on Brighton beach.

I love these photos because:

1) They show Tom's new costume.
2) They show the great new TARDIS prop.
3) They are shot in my local stomping ground.
4) They show Lalla dressed up in a little sailor suit.

Who could ask for more?

lh 10.jpg

lh 11.jpg

Don't panic, I'm not going to attempt the sailor suit look, but I feel it is my duty to include a couple more pictures of Lalla, purely for research purposes, of course...

lh 7.jpg

lh 6.jpg

Hope you like the pics.
Hopefully I'll be ready to post some of my own work in a few days.

Best regards to all.

Russell

russellsuthern

OK....Let's do this...

I love the opening scene in Leisure Hive.

That tracking shot of the beach huts, then the TARDIS, finishing with the pan over to Tom wrapped up in his new gear on a deck chair... just sublime.

I have heard it said that it was a daft thing to do, to have such a slow moving start to the new season, especially as It's against the fast moving Buck Rogers, but I disagree.

It's atmospheric, It's British, & it's different.

Dr Who has always been, & should be, different to every Sci-Fi show out there.  ;D

I think it took guts to open the season this way, but I think it paid off.

Let's have a look at some of the original shots & my recreations:

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

l5.jpg

l6.jpg

l7.jpg

l8.jpg

l9.jpg

l36.jpg

So I didn't want to drive over to Brighton beach as I thought it would be a bit busy, so I took the pics in front of the beach huts at the much quieter Worthing beach.

It was very early in the morning, but still super hot!

Nevertheless I had great fun recreating one of my most memorable scenes from the series.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

More soon!!

Regards,

Russell

redfern

Hmm, I've seen rather course sand, but this is ridiculous!

I understand you chose that beach over the other for a bit of seclusion, but did anybody see you?  If they did, what was their response?

Sincerely,

Bill