May 18, 2024, 04:48 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tony's Console Room Measurements

Started by tony farrell, Sep 02, 2012, 09:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Slartibartfast won an award for his "crinkly bits". I'm not drawing crinkly bits on Peter Brachaki's Tardis!  ;D

galacticprobe

May 17, 2013, 07:27 pm #376 Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:28 pm by galacticprobe
Actually, comparing the new drawing to that grab of the Doctor going after the fluid link I think looks about right. (Funny, though... scrutinizing this part of the console that only lasted for what was basically two stories, and then it vanished for the rest of the Series.)

Still, if we're going for "the original, you might say" - the very first appearance of the Hartnell console room - then we're doing it right! Every detail on that set: scrutinize, scrutinize, scrutinize!

And, Tony, your work and research on this is astounding! (Am I correct in thinking that once you've got all these details figured out, you'll be drawing up some floor plans of the finished product?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Hi Dino,

Thanks for your kind words! Drawing the console was one of the hardest things I've done - all those intersecting angles for the fins, etc. I'm actually quite surprised there hasn't been more discussion/dispute of my 'measurements'... Perhaps no-one's reading!  :-\

As regards the next steps - well, the console was the last aspect of Brachaki's Control Room I wanted to tackle. I envisaged this thread to be a kind of 'discussion document' with me simply prompting that 'discussion'. Since I started it, we've come a long way; all we had at the beginning was a few black and white photos and grainy TV pictures now, we have a full colour scheme for the Tardis set, measurements derived from limited plans Rob has felt able to post and the rest calculated by me comparing the Brachaki Police Box prop to height of the Tardis' main doors.

I can't claim the measurements to be definitively accurate but, I don't think I'm that far out. This thread is too long to be a reference document. If people want me to, I can create a separate 'summary' thread (say two or three pages in length) but that depends on the moderators being agreeable as well. (I know Marc is busy this month but, in principle, I believe he is willing to create more renders so that people can see the measurements in 3D.)

I'll wait to see what people want.

Thanks again.

Tony

mechanoid

May 18, 2013, 12:05 am #378 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:21 am by mechanoid
Well Tony, as of now, 00:56 18th May, you have had  a total of 23,530 views according to the statistics, so I imagine lots of people are watching such an interesting and intriguing subject!!

As to no disputes on measurements etc, I can only assume that everyone is like me, blown away by such meticulous research, and too in awe to question?  :)

I agree with you about the protuding base. that is the way I see it.

The condensed thread sounds like a good idea to me! I'll see what the other mods think!

Graham

DoctorWho8

I would consider this the research thread and taking your findings and putting them into a consice summary would be just right.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

kert gantry

May 18, 2013, 01:48 pm #380 Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:33 pm by kert gantry
Time to eat my words again.  Looking closely at the shadow under the right-hand facet of the plinth in this image, a very slight curve outwards can be seen.  So yes, the ring protrudes a wee bit.

conscircle4.jpg

marinedalek

However the straight edge of the plinth is casting a shadow on the circle, showing that the circle is inset - the light is at an angle to the plinth, so it will naturally catch the circle too and cause a bump in the shadow, even if the circle is inset from the plinth.

mechanoid

Dang! you are spot on, although I had doubts until I did a little experiment with a torch and stuff!

Well observed!

tony farrell

May 19, 2013, 02:26 am #383 Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:31 am by Tony Farrell
Okay, we'll obviously have to revisit the collar/disc....

In the meantime, to crib an idea from this picture Rob posted   ;),

part (2).jpg

here is my version:
tardis floor plan 40 percent for Tardis Builders.png

Tony

galacticprobe

May 19, 2013, 03:48 am #384 Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:51 am by galacticprobe
That's the sort of floor plan I meant, Tony, and it looks superb! (Just for reference, could you add a scale in, say, the lower left corner:
|_______|________|
0           1            2
 Measurements in feet
- that sort of thing?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

May 19, 2013, 12:33 pm #385 Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:36 pm by rassilonsrod
Tony, let's have a chat about putting your stuff to some A0 sheets :)

Quote from: Tony Farrell on May 19, 2013, 02:26 am
here is my version:

I had the impression the double interior-doors (and the perspex panels, near the
exterior-doors) were a bit more to the right. As you have it, but just so that the
front face was flush with the single perspex panel).

Great work as usual, Tony! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

May 19, 2013, 01:29 pm #386 Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:30 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: galacticprobe on May 19, 2013, 03:48 am
That's the sort of floor plan I meant, Tony, and it looks superb! (Just for reference, could you add a scale in, say, the lower left corner:
|_______|________|
0           1            2
 Measurements in feet
- that sort of thing?)

Dino.

Okay Dino - will do (though it will be a couple of days).  :)
T

tony farrell

May 19, 2013, 01:37 pm #387 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2013, 11:02 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 19, 2013, 12:33 pm
Tony, let's have a chat about putting your stuff to some A0 sheets :)

Quote from: Tony Farrell on May 19, 2013, 02:26 am
here is my version:

I had the impression the double interior-doors (and the perspex panels, near the
exterior-doors) were a bit more to the right. As you have it, but just so that the
front face was flush with the single perspex panel).

Great work as usual, Tony! :)

Hi Marc - thanks.
What is the advantage of A0 size drawings? Do you want me to e-mail you the full-sized drawings? (I've had to reduce a lot of them to get them 'under' the 500KB limit for posting.)
As regards the living quarters' doors - have a look at these - to my eye, the Perspex panel nearest the fault locator meets the back of the unit holding the doors
screens.pngmyphoto (29).png

Rassilons Rod

Ah yes. You're quite right, that's my mistake! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

May 19, 2013, 11:01 pm #389 Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:01 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on May 19, 2013, 01:29 pm
Okay Dino - will do (though it will be a couple of days).  :)
T

No rush, Tony. It was just a request, so whenever you get around to it will be fine.

Dino.