Apr 19, 2024, 07:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Tony's Console Room Measurements

Started by tony farrell, Sep 02, 2012, 09:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 13, 2013, 07:16 am
Tony, please forgive me if I'm getting too picky with the details, but I think the "canopy"'s rings would fit the screen grabs and photos better if you adjusted the spacing a little:
Dino.

Hi Dino - no problems. This is the best screen grab I could get:

myphoto (49).png

(I previously remarked that the same 'pebbled' translucent plastic material was most likely used for the diffusers in the scanner down-lighters.) Apologies to those viewing with a small screen, but this is the only way I could think to illustrate my thinking - the same grab again:

octagon rivets.png

Looking carefully, the 'rivetted' overlaps mean that the Perspex diffuser rings (Lita Glass) aren't circular at all. They aren't even mounted particularly level. What I've therefore done is drawn the spacings as if they were even.

(I think also that the bottom edges of the plastic rings forming the diffuser are actually slightly lower than the surrounding collar. The slots into which the plastic diffuser rings are fitted appear to be in the order of 4" deep.) I've tried to illustrate these points in my revised drawing of "The Canopy" below.

ceiling unit with measurements edge.png

Oh, Marc the measurements for the 'voids' have been added as well.

Tony

galacticprobe

Feb 14, 2013, 06:05 am #301 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013, 06:28 am by galacticprobe
Looks good, Tony. You're certainly right about the "diffuser" rings being mounted a bit lower than the bottom edge of the "drum"; you can see that in the screen grabs and photos. But if you look back at the images you posted here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3709.270 (last post on the page - it's a long one, but the images are the first three) you can see that the bottoms of the rings are even with each other, and their bottoms are flush with their braces, and that last inner ring is spaced a bit further from the next ring out than the other rings are from each other and the inner edge of the drum.

Since this spacing is consistent in several stories (the Pilot, broadcast version of 'Unearthly Child', 'Edge of Destruction', "The Chase") I have to stick by my belief that the "void" between that innermost and the next outer ring is slightly larger. If it was just a matter of the rings not being mounted flush with their bracings as the "canopy" was dismantled and re-assembled for each filming session then I would think the spacing between all of the rings would vary depending on how they were assembled, and their bottom edges wouldn't be flush with each other every time.

And on the subject of the ring spacing, are there any notes on the drawings that specify that? Looking at the drawings (and the as-built unit) it's clear the rings' spacing is greater than the 3-inch gap between the drum and the closest point to the inner hexagon, but less than the 6-inch thickness of the two hexagons' walls and the drum's walls. (If there are no specs for the rings' spacing, are there any guesses? Four inches? Four-and-a-half? Five?) On Tony's drawing where he shows the heights he has a 4-inch measure marked off, which looks really close with my ruler, but since we are striving for accuracy with this project it would be nice to know at least what the intended spacing was supposed to be.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Feb 14, 2013, 08:24 am #302 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013, 09:04 am by rassilonsrod
One thing I think would be useful (mostly for 3D users like myself) as a time saving thing is to remember
that a hex is not a circle. By which I mean, width is not necessarily = diameter. Here are two images
to illustrate this fact.

Hex_Radius1.jpg

Hex_Radius2.jpg

Ok, so the correct radii are
Outer HEX:
Radius - 69.3"
Width - 120

Inner HEX:
Radius- 50.8"
Width- 88"

Calculations made here: http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calpolyg.htm

EDIT: Maya is also a bit crap with pipes.... But I think it's probably good enough to be within 3 decimal places of an inch :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Feb 14, 2013, 09:14 am #303 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 am by rassilonsrod
Also, what do you make the height of the ply drum? I have made it 1" thick. And the outer struts I have made 2" thick

I'll post up some renders when I have the final figures :)

EDIT:
Actually, here is a preliminary render. I am trying to replicate the overlaps in the Lita Glass rings....
I'll finish it later :)

For practical reasons (I'm thinking of them trying to make the rings exactly right to 3 decimal places)
I'm using 22.5" for the outer ring diameter followed by 19.5", 16.5", 13.5", 10.5" (and 7.5" as per the
smallest measurement on the plans).

2013-02-14_01_Preliminary_Canopy.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

I really like the glass texture but considering this image took 11:45 to render out, I may have to look at a cheaper option.

Still missing the rivets that hold the glass together but have a look :)
2013-02-14_02_Canopy.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Feb 14, 2013, 07:52 pm #305 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013, 07:55 pm by Tony Farrell
Stunning renders again Marc  ;D

I too love how you've captured the texture of the Lita Glass. Excellent - no wonder it took so long.

In response to your and Dino's comments, I too have spent most of the day on this and here's what I've come up with for the Ceiling Canopy's central diffuser and 'drum'. The first picture shows what I mean about the rings being unevenly mounted. The second shows measurements which I've 'evened-out' to the best of my abilities.

Regards and thanks
Tony

myphoto uneven rings.png

myphoto rings spaces.png

Rassilons Rod

Smeg! :D That's going to be fun resizing those bugger!

This render only took 4:43, but it's still too long. The effect on the glass is hammered copper used as
a normal (bump) map...

2013-02-14_03_Canopy.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Feb 14, 2013, 07:58 pm
Smeg! :D That's going to be fun resizing those bugger!

Sorry Marc - what with trying to find better screen grabs (and failing  :)) and then trying to write an explanation (and failing again  ;D), I resorted to drawing what I meant. Am really sorry to cause you re-work but, if it's any consolation - which it probably isn't - I still have to re-draw my plans  :(.

Your choice of a 'hammered copper' texture for the Lita glass rings is inspired!!

Tony

tony farrell

I should have added that the brass candle stick is gorgeous too!

Rassilons Rod

Feb 14, 2013, 08:48 pm #309 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2013, 08:48 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 14, 2013, 08:46 pm
I should have added that the brass candle stick is gorgeous too!

That can and will look better :)

Don't worry, under the circumstances I'll just scale it them to the right size :)
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Splendid Work!!! Pop a Console in there and I'll use it as my desktop.  ;D :D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Feb 15, 2013, 06:42 am #311 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013, 06:43 am by galacticprobe
Tony, that last image you posted above, with the "cross-section" spacing of the rings, looks just like what I was trying to explain going by the as-built "canopy". Though, if that thick red "bar" is supposed to represent the thickness of the drum then it should be 6 inches thick (as per the drawings). And the spacing between the drum's inner wall and the outermost ring should be 3 inches (same spacing as that of the outer 5 rings, again going by the as-built canopy). Everything else in that cross-section looks spot on with the actual prop!

And those renders, Marc... WOW! :o (I hope you're not working on them for that many hours straight. If you are, you'll be bind soon. ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Feb 15, 2013, 02:56 am

Splendid Work!!! Pop a Console in there and I'll use it as my desktop.  ;D :D

The console is being improved also, at the moment. I'm just waiting on some measurements from our frendly-neigbourhood-celation :)

Quote from: galacticprobe on Feb 15, 2013, 06:42 am
Tony, that last image you posted above, with the "cross-section" spacing of the rings, looks just like what I was trying to explain going by the as-built "canopy". Though, if that thick red "bar" is supposed to represent the thickness of the drum then it should be 6 inches thick (as per the drawings). And the spacing between the drum's inner wall and the outermost ring should be 3 inches (same spacing as that of the outer 5 rings, again going by the as-built canopy). Everything else in that cross-section looks spot on with the actual prop!

And those renders, Marc... WOW! :o (I hope you're not working on them for that many hours straight. If you are, you'll be bind soon. ;))

Dino.

It's just a few hours at a time really. I tend to multi-task other stuff in my second monitor :)

Thanks for the praise guys, it's appreciated :)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Fixed canopy rings and improved gold texture :)

2013-02-15_01_Canopy.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Feb 15, 2013, 09:59 pm #314 Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013, 10:01 pm by Tony Farrell
Superb... superb. Thanks Marc the ceiling unit looks 'spot on'!

For clarification of Dino's last post - no, the thick red line represents the 'diffuser drum' which fits in the central cylinder of the canopy; here are more detailed diagrams.

Also, a photo of the kind of the triangular fixing bracket used to secure the 'diffuser drum' to the underside of the Ceiling Canopy.

d1-1a-041.jpg
myphoto rings spaces.png
Diffuser in place inside canopy.png

P.S., I love the glimpsed reflection of the doors to the living quarters in the roundels!
unknown corner brackets 10.JPGunknown corner brackets 10.JPG