Jun 19, 2021, 04:28 am


New, New TardisBuilders!

Bobby's Bobby Box

Started by rob, Aug 24, 2019, 08:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic


Yesterday, I spent time on the roof and went with making it more my interpretation - as I originally set out to do!

As you can see I have gone with more steps, which has made it less box like on top. I'm going to add another step and then create a sloping roof.

What do you think?


Looks good!



While trying to attach a photo, the Internet ate my post. :(  One other thing you could do (and it will seem like a pain in the butt, but hear me out) is cut down your corner posts.  The tall corner posts are a feature unique to the 1963-1966 prop--no other TARDIS had them--and no police box.  If you chopped half the distance to the POLICE BOX signs, you'd get a much less boxy roof, more in line with the TYJ or an actual police box.  It doesn't seem like such a little change would make such a difference, but it does.  My original, simplified design, dispensed with the stepped capital to the corner posts entirely.  And I didn't even finish it before I was up on a stepladder with a circle saw, carving down the tops.  Then, in 2016 or so, I decided to add the illusion of another roof step.  When I did, I cut the corner posts down farther (although being older and wiser I did it with a handsaw and a chisel).  I wouldn't ordinarily post my pictures in another thread, but this shows the progression.  L to R:  As designed, after cutting down the corner posts, after renovating to make it more accurate, and its current state.  The first 3 are all the same blue.  She was dark blue with white trim in between the 3rd and 4th pictures and this is an entirely new blue (and an entirely new camera).  And the box is getting on in years, so the roof in particular is starting to look more like it is made of patching compound than timber:
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.


Couldn't agree with you more! I had already thought about this and were thinking of how to do it. I like the chisel approach!

My current thoughts are I guess I like the look at the mo. It's different and simple to manage as I'm going to use roof felt to ensure water doesn't enter the posts. It would be easier to use the felt as they are currently.

I'll let you know what I do and how it goes!


I used roof felt.  Probably the only smart thing I did that worked out.  It lasted forever.  This year it finally deteriorated to the point that, having gained some fiberglassing experience in building an A-Team van, I decided to 'glass the roof.  After about half a year, I've spotted some moist spots on the inside after torrential downpours, so at some point it looks like it will be time to extend the fiberglass further down the sides.  But roof felt should easily get you 5 or even 10 years if you inspect it regularly and keep on top of patching and painting. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.


Apr 02, 2020, 08:37 pm #50 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2020, 08:43 pm by rob
A good couple of days adding roof felt to above the 'Police Box' signs. I have had water seep in over the winter so I have done a repair job and hopefully the felt will stop further issues. I am absolutely amazed at how the felt has kept it dry so far!

I have put the roof on temporarily to decide what I'm going to do with my posts. I also had a play with the lamp I bought. It needs a little work before it goes up though.

However I have decided to cut the posts down. I'm going to cut a third off, narrow the middle third and leave the final third with it's full thickness. Having looked at pictures of an original box, that seems to be a way forward...



Thanks all for your help with the style of posts. Its been a little challenge but I'm happy with the results.


May 14, 2020, 09:51 pm #52 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 10:31 am by rob
I have been busy working on my TARDIS light recently. Quite awhile ago, I bought for £3, a garden lamp from B&M. Here is is again:

It's not quite right but I have been happy with the basic shape, water tightness and strength of it. I removed the three struts with a hack saw. Using the top and bottom, I mounted them into wooden frames attached by wooden struts.

I added the disk on the top to ensure water travels away instead of seep inside! Hopefully I've done it well so it will last. In the worst case, it should still be okay as I've used a light that can be submerged in water!


Its been a while but here is an update on Bobby's Bobby Box!

All the panels are done  ✔
The inside is painted white  ✔
A carpet is down  ✔
The skirting board is in  ✔

The roof is finally coming to completion...