Ah, but what a curious Police Box!

Started by dr hue, Aug 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dr hue

Aug 17, 2019, 11:59 am Last Edit: Aug 17, 2019, 12:07 pm by dr hue
Ah, but what a curious Police Box!

page 16:

Ian Chesterton:

...all I could think about was that whatever it might look like from the outside, I knew perfectly well that this was no ordinary police box on Barnes Common.

armada-2k-jpg.jpg

I've always liked this cover.
Not sure what was used as reference as it seems more Met Box than
Brachacki although it does have too many stacks. This edition was first published in 1965 by May Fair Books Ltd, Dorset House,13a Old Burlington Street, London W.1 with original illustrations by Peter Archer. The illustrations in the original 1964 Muller hardback look like they were drawn from photographs and feature a more Brachaki box.

armada-back__002-2k-jpg.jpg

This is my original book I got in the mid sixties when my grandmother took me to Hamleys ( at their original location of 2OO Regent Street ). I remember the book department was downstairs at the back near the rear exit to the then swinging Carnaby Street. I was allowed one thing from the shop and remember agonising as to whether to get this book or the "Dalek Pocket Book" both 2/6 ( 12 1/2 pence )

armada-back__001-jpg.jpg

I wonder what interest there would be in Police Boxes now if the Tardis Chameleon circuit had not chosen a Police Box on its visit to Earth ?

russellsuthern

I had that one.

Like you, I simply loved the cover.

Seriously thinking buying one from Ebay or somesuch.

Very nostalgic!!

Russ

type40plus

I also have this book and have read it so many times over the years. I believe it was a present when it was published and yes its a great cover, unfortunately mine is the worst for wear.

alexcutler

Quote from: dr hue on Aug 17, 2019, 11:59 am...

I wonder what interest there would be in Police Boxes now if the Tardis Chameleon circuit had not chosen a Police Box on its visit to Earth ?

I have wondered this too.  I can only speak personally - and I am pretty sure I would not even be aware of a police box if it were not for Doctor Who.  And although I am now more obsessed with real police boxes than The TARDIS,  it is the fantastical idea that this shape represents escape, adventure & limitless possibilities.   That idea jars with the tragic fact that our society let this police box relic disappear from our streets with surprisingly little respect to history.  Perhaps the police box's disappearance adds to the mystique? 

It also makes me very grateful to this community and the amazing titbits of historical evidence we have managed to gather on real police boxes - despite all obstacles put in our way.

dr hue

Sep 30, 2022, 08:59 am #4 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2022, 06:11 pm by dr hue
Of course it might have selected the other Blue Telephone kiosk of the time

the Royal Automobile Club road side kiosk, I still have my RAC key. After 1949 these keys also unlocked AA boxes

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7242.msg91034#msg91034

An RAC box ( albeit the 1920's style ) sat next to the Ruxley Corner Police Box ( P6 )

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4105.msg93241#msg93241

p6-rac-box2-ruxley-corner.png

rac56k-pb-cr2955j.png

An interesting feature of the RAC box was its reflective 'Fruit Glass' 'Cats Eyes' used in the logo on the
door so that it would show up at night as a vehicle passed.

Andrew Harvey

Nice picture there of the two different types of box together, Dr Hue. Is it one of yours? A few years ago, I was lucky enough to be able to get some good pictures of an AA box still at a roadside in Devon. They are currently in a folder where I put things I intend to make models of.....

Alexcutler, with reference to your interesting remarks on this subject from 29th Sept, I think I would have been aware of the police box without the Dr Who series. When I was a little boy, we lived for a while in Plymouth and I used to dig up spent 303 bullets from the back garden. Plymouth was heavily bombed during the Second World War and so our brave lads were always fighting the german aeroplanes over the city. One day whilst digging around among my Mums geraniums I found a real treasure- A Dinky Police Box!! Some other little lad must have been playing with it there long before we moved in and there it was, left in the soil for me to find! The best bit of Archaeology I have ever done! ( Fossils dont count!) 
  As I still have some of the bullets, (and yes, of course I still have the police box hence my obsession with 1/48th scale!) I would have certainly found out what it was supposed to be. However, without the good Doctor and the incongruity of a police box in a jungle, or a desert or floating about in space I do not think much of my artworks and model making would have taken the same direction! Doctor Who certainly has a lot to answer for!
    But you are quite right; this site has filled in many gaps in knowledge of this lovely piece of street furniture. It is a credit to all who contribute on it! I too am indeed very grateful!

Andrew

peterjohn

Quote from: dr hue on Aug 17, 2019, 11:59 amI wonder what interest there would be in Police Boxes now if the Tardis Chameleon circuit had not chosen a Police Box on its visit to Earth ?

I totally agree with Alex...
I was lucky to have been born and spent the first 9 years of my life surrounded by several "X" Boxes......
I can safely say that If I had lived outside Greater London, High Wycombe or even Glasgow........
Those "Potting Sheds", Kiosks and buildings would not of interested me one little bit!  ;D

dr hue

Andrew

yes it is one of my pictures.

I've attached another showing the affect of a passing car headlight
on the cat's eye door logo at dusk.

rac-night-jr-955.png

Was your Devon AA box number 456 Halfway House on the A3052

or some other number ?

Andrew Harvey

Thank you, Dr Hue! Wow! That really is smashing! Great picture. The AA box is indeed the 456 at Halfway House. A lovely box, at least it was last time I saw it! Conveniently it is in a layby so easy to get a good look at. Here are the three pictures I was able to take the day I saw it. Do you have any drawings or plans for the RAC boxes? I would very much like to build a model of one of these.
  Thanks again
  Andrew

IMG_9123.JPG

IMG_9127.JPG

IMG_9129.JPG

dr hue

Oct 07, 2022, 11:13 am #9 Last Edit: Oct 07, 2022, 11:26 am by dr hue
Andrew:
Great photos of Box 456, thanks.

Did you ever see the "Tardis" AA Box advert ?

No I don't have any original plans or drawings of RAC box - I've been looking
for ages.

In an alternative universe:

caveOfSkullsRAC_JR.png

Alexcutler:

I'm curious about your new avatar , I've not seen that particular shot of the domed early Police Box before.

A bit like Grange Cinema Box

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5113.0

Andrew Harvey

Oct 07, 2022, 06:54 pm #10 Last Edit: Oct 07, 2022, 06:59 pm by Andrew Harvey
Dr Hue, A pity you dont have any drawings etc for the RAC boxes. Never mind, something will crop up.... Your Alternative Universe picture has me cracked up! (I would love to see a few spears sticking out of it!) The AA ad was great too. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the AA box photographs. Next time I am there, I will take a few measurements!

Alexcutler- The afore mentioned 'avatar' has me curious too!....

All the best
  Andrew