Apr 24, 2024, 01:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2013 Console Room in SL

Started by cobalt, Nov 05, 2014, 01:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWitch

Cobalt -

What sort of textures did you use? are the photo or handmade? they look very real looking.

Would you share some of you knowledge with us fellow textures :).

-Tom_J

cobalt

Actually, they're neither photo, nor handmade. I used a texturing engine called dDo from a company called Quixel. It's not quite a photoshop plugin - it's more like photoshop plugs into it.

http://quixel.se/dev/ddo

I did have to do a lot of photoshop work beforehand though, to create the reference maps that dDo required - especially anything with text on it like dial faces.

TheWitch

That's great thanks I'll defo check it out.

1 last thing - will you be adding the lights in the floor gratings? or is that not possible with SL?

- Tom_J

galacticprobe

Nov 06, 2014, 06:19 am #18 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2014, 06:27 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tom_J on Nov 05, 2014, 11:41 am
Dino -

I think it was because you commented on one of my old threads saying that's its is indeed 9 gratings in the floor.

Soo now I got my floor updated with 9 gratings. Looks soooo much better than 8.

Great, Tom! Glad I was able to help out.

Quote from: cobalt on Nov 05, 2014, 03:38 pm
As for the number of sides on the bin, I went with nine, because as mentioned above, there are nine floor gratings.
Which makes sense... the room itself, being circular...

The central platform... nine support ribs under the platform... each offset by forty degrees of rotation. (9 X 40 = 360)

Thus there are nine sides to the cabinet under the platform.

Keeping the main part of your calculations in there, cobalt, thanks for the confirmation. It was just one of those things that was niggling at me. I thought nine made more sense for the same reasons as you, but just wasn't sure if that other thread (which I still can't find) ever got that issue resolved. (If I ever come across it again I'll be sure to link it to your full reply in this thread - which I hope I'll be able to find when the time comes.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

δ³Σx²

I always thought that there was eight sides for the storage under the console.
0.jpg
well it does look like 8 in this image if you look at the angles, as there would be 3 at the back of this image as there are at the front so that would make 6 plus the 2 on the side would give 8 sides.
Dum inter homines, sumus colamus humanitatem. Cum tacent clament.

TheWitch

13th doctors - I think they are correct about the nine sided chambers, that photo is looking down on an angl. I took some photos when I went to the experience looking straight on at the chambers, from the under platform entrance.

hope it helps -

42 - jvLb7iQ.jpg

-Tom_J

δ³Σx²

Yeah that makes sense now, I looked at the construction of the set - now makes sense that there would be 9 sides as the circle for the console platform is split into 9 sections. I also found images on Facebook of when someone went to the previous TARDIS Tour (I have the link if anyone wants it)

TheWitch

It kinda matches the layout of the floor gratings.

a Link would be great, Thanks!

-Tom_J

cobalt

Quote from: Tom_J on Nov 06, 2014, 12:11 am

1 last thing - will you be adding the lights in the floor gratings? or is that not possible with SL?

- Tom_J

I could probably do it with an illuminance map, but the problem with those is, they're so new that there's currently no way to script them at all. Can't turn them on and off. Can't animate them.

TheWitch

Quote from: cobalt on Nov 06, 2014, 04:44 pm
Quote from: Tom_J on Nov 06, 2014, 12:11 am

- Tom_J

I could probably do it with an illuminance map, but the problem with those is, they're so new that there's currently no way to script them at all. Can't turn them on and off. Can't animate them.

Oooh sounds good but as they're new it kinda sucks! Guess have to wait till they get all update and such.

- Tom_J

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2014, 05:41 am #25 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2014, 05:41 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The13thDctor on Nov 06, 2014, 01:33 pm
...(I have the link if anyone wants it)

I agree with Tom; a link would be fantastic!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

δ³Σx²

galacticprobe

Nov 08, 2014, 03:35 am #27 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014, 03:35 am by galacticprobe
Those are some great photos! Thanks for sharing the link!

Dino.