Apr 18, 2024, 01:25 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

"Just designing my console and need advice"

Started by growingupgolf, Jul 13, 2019, 11:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

growingupgolf

Jul 13, 2019, 11:22 pm Last Edit: Jul 15, 2019, 10:48 am by warmcanofcoke
So I have some designs for panels but I need some help actually designing the way they slope and how big they need to be, any suggestions?55FDE133-F2CC-4FD1-9E5D-B20D1B69DD58.jpeg

warmcanofcoke

Jul 13, 2019, 11:57 pm #1 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2019, 01:23 am by warmcanofcoke
Well there is the Console calculator in the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=30.0

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Aug 08, 2012, 01:02 pm
You can use the console calculator on the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=30.0 board for both of the orange measurements:
here's a screenshot of it after I put in the figures:
conscalc.PNG

The orange line is 'L' in the calculator results, and the dashed orange line is 's'.
'L' seems to differ from someone's calculation, but I've checked it independently and my calcs match the console calculator (which may not be surprising, as I built the console calculator ;)).

The console calculator exists so that as we refine our estimates of the actual dimensions, we can compute the geometrically dependent dimensions quickly.

Looking at it again, the Kelt console actually has four truncated 6-sided pyramids:
The main panels, the underside panels, the plinth and the collar around the time rotor. You could even count the panel edges as a degenerate fifth, where the top and bottom edges are the same length. The console calculator will compute the trapezoid height, sloping edge length and angles for any of them.

Crispin
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Cardinal Hordriss

In addition to that, if you or someone you know is any good at SketchUp or some such you could model it with the measurements generated by the console calculator to get a better idea of how it will look when you put it together.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

karsthotep

check out the kenneth sharp research thread that has an immense amount of information on the structure itself.   You can also check out my thread as well Karsten's Kenneth Sharp console.   I have gotten past the structural component of it and am working on the controls at the moment so if you have any questions let me know.   Are you going to have someone assist you with the build?  Are you wanting to do a plywood construction or are you going to be doing one that is card board? 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

warmcanofcoke

1200px-Regular_polygon_6_annotated.svg.png1200px-Regular_polygon_6_annotated.svg.png

So how much space do you have? How big can this console be?

warmcanofcoke

Jul 15, 2019, 10:36 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2019, 04:13 pm by warmcanofcoke
Maybe this will help you visualize your project.
Quoteconsole help.pngconsole help.png

console help 2.png

Check out http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=30.0 for the TARDIS Console Calculator.

MacktheTardisGuy

I am trying to make a console with 3 panels as something for me to just play with, I need advice on how to build and structure it, with cardboard, pritt stick, sticky labels, tape, paper. For 3 panels, that are around the same size as the actual TARDIS.

davidnagel

Quote from: MacktheTardisGuy on Jul 24, 2020, 11:09 pmI am trying to make a console with 3 panels as something for me to just play with, I need advice on how to build and structure it, with cardboard, pritt stick, sticky labels, tape, paper. For 3 panels, that are around the same size as the actual TARDIS.

Which console will it be actual to?
Regards
David

MacktheTardisGuy

Quote from: davidnagel on Jul 25, 2020, 09:04 pm
Quote from: MacktheTardisGuy on Jul 24, 2020, 11:09 pmI am trying to make a console with 3 panels as something for me to just play with, I need advice on how to build and structure it, with cardboard, pritt stick, sticky labels, tape, paper. For 3 panels, that are around the same size as the actual TARDIS.

Which console will it be actual to?

Any, I have a box of old bottle caps and junk so it doesn't matter I just want something to use

karsthotep

Mack,

In your build thread I think advice was already given on a way forward.   Some of the members have already been very generous with suggestions in regards to how you can accomplish your build.   If you are expecting to be provided a full list of all suitable parts that can be made, purchased etc as well as giving you full documentation on how you to build it you are going to be disappointed.   We are here to provide help in the process, not walk you through every single aspect, scenario and option.   I suggested to you in your build thread to search through the builds and get an idea of how people built their consoles to give you a jumping off point.  Have you done this already?   Have you tried anything yet on your own?    Start with the plinth, look at the build threads of even the plywood builds and that will give you an excellent jumping off point.  Look at my build thread, a lot of what I did can be extrapolated out and used in a cardboard build.   Start posting your progress pictures and if you are unable to figure out something specific then a request for help is warranted.   Good luck with your build.

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

MacktheTardisGuy

Quote from: karsthotep on Aug 31, 2020, 04:46 pm

Mack,

In your build thread I think advice was already given on a way forward.   Some of the members have already been very generous with suggestions in regards to how you can accomplish your build.   If you are expecting to be provided a full list of all suitable parts that can be made, purchased etc as well as giving you full documentation on how you to build it you are going to be disappointed.   We are here to provide help in the process, not walk you through every single aspect, scenario and option.   I suggested to you in your build thread to search through the builds and get an idea of how people built their consoles to give you a jumping off point.  Have you done this already?   Have you tried anything yet on your own?    Start with the plinth, look at the build threads of even the plywood builds and that will give you an excellent jumping off point.  Look at my build thread, a lot of what I did can be extrapolated out and used in a cardboard build.   Start posting your progress pictures and if you are unable to figure out something specific then a request for help is warranted.   Good luck with your build.

Karst

Thank you for the suggestions, sorry for not replying as I've been planning for building. I've decided just to start building and go from there. I've got a small plan of what I'm going to do. I hope to start building tomorrow. Thanks.