Mar 29, 2024, 02:18 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Attack of the Cybermen - Tracer

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jul 29, 2022, 05:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

Any thoughts on this prop? Was it made from an existing thing like a handheld game thing or was it scratch built? I'm not sure how accurate the CO toy is but it's one of the only pics I could find.

download.jpeg

Dis9jbKWsAA4mxi.jpeg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

LeoCor

It's possible. I know the Mark of the Rani tracer (Six was awfully fond of tracers, wasn't he?) was made out of an old Corgi walkie-talkie toy, so it would stand to reason the props department at the time would've used another toy or toy-like device as the base.

Volpone

Kind of funny that they sort of did this joke in reverse for "Guardians of the Galaxy 2."  They're waiting for the Bad Guy to show up and Star Lord (who is from 1980s Earth) is analyzing an electronic handheld device...that turns out to be an old Colecovision Electronic Football game. 

Looking at the toy and the cover illustration, I'd be inclined to say it was scratch-built, but I may be forgetting just how elaborate some of those old electronics were (and of course there's no reason the prop people wouldn't have dressed it with added hoses and lights and other bits). 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

There are better views in the episode but I couldn't capture them.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

elkad

the only spot you can see a gimps of the prop

d06-6t-c082.jpgd06-6t-c083.jpgd06-6t-c085.jpgd06-6t-c092.jpgd06-6t-c099.jpg

Volpone

It is pretty heavily redressed in that classic "LET'S MAKE IT FANCY SCIENCE-FICTIONY" style JNT was so notorious for.  Looked pretty cool in the '80s, hasn't aged particularly well IMO.  But I digress.  My point is, while I'm not up on my mid 1980s UK construction tools, it has the look of possibly being based on a stud-locator with lots of grilles and buttons and such stuck to it. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

Great pics. The toy is clearly way off. It does look like a redressed "found" thing but I suppose we may never know what.

13drwho

It looks like a reworked adding machine. The overall shape I mean.

elkad

Makes me think of a label maker with those custom steampunk key tabs.

Dymo Lable Maker Purple.jpgSteampunk Keyboard.jpg

ciderman

It reminds me of a Galaxy Invader 1000 hand held game but it isnt really the right shape thoughIMG-20230825-WA0008.jpg

Angelus Lupus

Now there's a blast of nostalgia!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

elkad

I'm going threw the scenes frame by frame to see if I can determine the angles of this prop. Making a drawing of what I think is there. I got this clip off the internet, so it may be a little fuzzy than a DVD, which I wish I had.

Attack Of The Cybermen Tracker (01).jpgAttack Of The Cybermen Tracker (02).jpgAttack Of The Cybermen Tracker (03).jpgAttack Of The Cybermen Tracker (04).jpgAttack Of The Cybermen Tracker (05).jpg

Volpone

It looks like it has a little rubber hood over the display to shade from the sun and I've seen that before but I'll be darned it I can remember where. 
-The Doctor.

ciderman

Interestingly enough after watching Ahsoka ep 2 'Toil and Trouble' Sabine uses a perfect example of a repurposed electronic toyIMG-20230826-WA0009.jpg