Apr 27, 2024, 12:11 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Doctors Instrument Bag

Started by elkad, Jul 23, 2023, 07:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

I've seen a couple doctors instrument bags & was wondering if anyone could tell me, a little about them. Like, what type of bags they are, or something like that. I've recently seen a video on how to make a Doctors medical bag, & thought I'd put it on my wish list of things to make.

d04-4h-c104.jpgd04-4p-c057.jpgd08-7y-c0019.jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

It might by Liz's delicate hand but the TARDIS key looks a good size in the Planet of Evil pic.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

LeoCor

I've often heard Gladstone Bags is the term for these, though they don't often look exactly like the one from the 1996 film. That one appears to be more of a case, as it appears to be a harder material. I've never found a perfect match for that particular TARDIS toolkit, unlike the Helix Home File one from the 80s. I believe Paul Salamoff owns it now, along with the modified 800-Trekker sonic that was used for that shot in the TV Movie.

elkad

Did a little research on the Movie Doctor's Bag. I think that ones called a EMDEE Leather Doctor Bag.

EMDEE Leather Doctor Bag (1).jpgEMDEE Leather Doctor Bag (2).jpgEMDEE Leather Doctor Bag (3.jpg

If I can find the name of the other bag, maybe I can look up some sewing diagrams, unless someone else here knows a good site for leather bag patterns.

elkad

Quote from: LeoCor on Jul 27, 2023, 08:04 pmI've often heard Gladstone Bags.

My brain is slow picking up the words wile reading. I dose look like a Gladstone, confirmation via this image. Making one of these, Id have to track down the peaces & parts, locks, belts, ex.

Gladstone_doctors bag.jpg

redfern

Jul 29, 2023, 02:07 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2023, 02:19 pm by redfern Reason: Added a link.
Quote from: elkad on Jul 28, 2023, 01:44 pmDid a little research on the Movie Doctor's Bag. I think that ones called a EMDEE Leather Doctor Bag.

EMDEE Leather Doctor Bag (1).jpgEMDEE Leather Doctor Bag (2).jpgEMDEE Leather Doctor Bag (3.jpg

If I can find the name of the other bag, maybe I can look up some sewing diagrams, unless someone else here knows a good site for leather bag patterns.

Don't know if it's still produced, but as a child of the 60s and 70s, I remember Fisher-Price selling a doctor's kit, the centerpiece being a hinged clam-shell bag very much like this one.  Obviously, such a toy could not be converted into the Doctor's bag...unless it were intended for a child due to its "kid friendly" scale.  Seeing the genuine thing here merely recalled some nostalgic memories.  Funny enough, that FP toy came with an ear scope a child might pretend to be a Pertwee/Baker/Davison styled sonic screwdriver.

Here's a "WorthPoint" page showcasing the bag.  I forgot this version had slots to hold capsules of candy pills.  And it was Hasbro, not Fisher-Price.  Meh, failing memory.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-70s-hasbro-doctors-bag-medical-1895382882

elkad

Take two candy's now & call me Diabetic in the morning. :)

Quote from: redfern on Jul 29, 2023, 02:07 pm
Quote from: elkad on Jul 28, 2023, 01:44 pmDid a little research on the Movie Doctor's Bag. I think that ones called a EMDEE Leather Doctor Bag.

Don't know if it's still produced, but as a child of the 60s and 70s, I remember Fisher-Price selling a doctor's kit, the centerpiece being a hinged clam-shell bag very much like this one.  Obviously, such a toy could not be converted into the Doctor's bag...unless it were intended for a child due to its "kid friendly" scale.  Seeing the genuine thing here merely recalled some nostalgic memories.  Funny enough, that FP toy came with an ear scope a child might pretend to be a Pertwee/Baker/Davison styled sonic screwdriver.

Here's a "WorthPoint" page showcasing the bag.  I forgot this version had slots to hold capsules of candy pills.  And it was Hasbro, not Fisher-Price.  Meh, failing memory.

Vtg 70s HASBRO DOCTORS BAG w Medical Equipment Kids Pretend Play Toy Set.jpg

LeoCor

Found this one using the name you found. Pretty damn close, just made with a darker leather. Perfect if you have $4000 burning a hole in your pocket!

elkad

Quote from: LeoCor on Aug 10, 2023, 08:22 pm

Found this one using the name you found. Pretty damn close, just made with a darker leather. Perfect if you have $4000 burning a hole in your pocket!

:o .... $4000... This is why I'd rather make, my own. Anyone have any materials I could use that looks like leather but cheaper, for a guy who has moth squatters in his wallet? (thought) Maybe if I look around the flea market.