Alrighty, then let's do this, not once.....but twice

Started by moretroubleagain, Jul 08, 2019, 03:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moretroubleagain

First off thanks to philipw, Primrodo, DoctorWho8 and everyone else at TARDIS builders - and elsewhere - who have made postings and answers to questions.
SO! Let's get into this...I know up there says about a single prop, this is the same 2 props so I think I'm okay.
I decided to make 2 Eccleston/Tennant boxes based on DoctorWho8's plans.
A friend of my wanted a box and since I'd be setting up my saws for all the angles, why not. He'll pay for his materials and my usual fee for work, 2 cases of beer.
Now my box will also be exposed to the elements, I am trying to build for that as well.
My big thing is I have only simple tools, small portable table saw, chop saw, circular saw, stuff for repairs around the house. This is important! This is to show that anyone can do this with minimal tools and only stuff from a big box store. base supplies.jpg2 frames.jpgsaws.jpgfloor.jpg

This was preparing the base very much in line with Philpw's build over at RPF (Rebelscum pic heavy TARDIS build) I did pocket holes and pressure treated wood. The base with the floor is about 75 to 100 lbs when set in. I haven't screwed the big floor panel in yet to save weight moving the bases around. I have seams on my floor. I'm planning on a slip resistant rubber floor interior will cover that up.

moretroubleagain

Jul 16, 2019, 10:09 pm #1 Last Edit: Jul 16, 2019, 10:10 pm by moretroubleagain
slow progress. I have limited hours I can work. But this past weekend I cut the plywood down to size and cut the pieces that will become the rails for the walls and doors.
20190714_141955.jpg

superrichi1a

Excited to see how this (they) turns, out! I'm enjoying a good old-fashioned build again, and as this is my favourite box, I'm sure it'll be a joy to watch it unfold :)

I certainly see what you mean about your 'lack' of tools, but that's the fun, eh? When I did my build, I didn't even have any power tools! I had a hand-saw, some screwdrivers and a hammer. Quite literally! Over the course of the build I also accumulated a cheap circular saw and a wood-plane I found in a box in the garage. I think that with your tools you should be able to make a box to rival that of the BBC's, or, more likely, far surpass it  ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

moretroubleagain

A lot of clamps. Glue the rails and stiles to the plywood. and the other pic is 3 walls and 2 doors laid out.

20190825_115040.jpg clamps collage.jpg

moretroubleagain

columnclamp.jpgslots.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race. I keep losing weekends with family stuff. But I was back at it this weekend making 512 biscuits slots. That left me time for glue up of columns the next day.
Got through 4 columns, only showing 3 in the pic.

I'm still envious of people with such talented work on other projects. That OAK piece is to drool over. such expertise. I'll get there some day.

moretroubleagain

just one pic today. Was working in the shade. test fitting some walls. I know I have some trim work, windows to cut out and such. Boy what a shot in the arm to progress getting walls up. 2 walls.jpg

So happy my stiles line up. Damn Curvus Treeus plywood from Homedepot has a small inward curve. otherwise I'm happy so far. On to Top sign boxes.

Leaving trim to "hide crimes" later.

Volpone

Wait 'til you get some blue paint on it.  Then you'll be so excited that you'll have to print out paper POLICE BOX and phone panel signs to tape to it.  We all do it. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

moretroubleagain

Gah, Holidays. I lost a lot of weekends with holidays and family. But back on it. Top signs cut. Roof assembles. lower and upper tiers. Everything times 2. Yep, realize I have the plywood edge. that'll be covered with resin soon enough.
20191130_171411.jpg20191215_160712.jpg20191229_170414.jpg20191229_133330.jpg

Volpone

Quote from: moretroubleagain on Dec 30, 2019, 09:53 pm
...Yep, realize I have the plywood edge. that'll be covered with resin soon enough....

I'm just amazed at how clean you got the joins.  Literally every photo from every build I can think of here--including mine--has horrible gaps everywhere with the apology of "Yes, I'll fix this with putty/Bondo".  Damn fine build. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

moretroubleagain

@volpone. Thanks for the positive feedback. Yeah I wrestled for a while on minimizing those seams. I even have a flaw in two corners where I will need to patch. I saw how everyone wrestled with this knowing from all these great builds it was a trouble spot. I made a foam core test and then found a site that listed the angles you need to cut the roof at to get that tight seam. It's on another page. I shared the info. That helped. Set my saw at 9 degrees. cut. the 9 degrees and 12.4 degree slope the edges just met. Like Rebelscum I will need a little epoxy but very happy overall.

moretroubleagain

20200215_155518.jpg20200215_173106.jpg20200216_174613.jpg20200217_182538.jpg20200223_134901.jpg20200212_232831.jpg

So more delays. but 3 walls, the roof are up. still need window trim and "glass" and front doors. Tops signs look great. Yes, was building two, so the one pic is the other I was making "exploded" at his house. And I also knit myself another scarf.

russellsuthern

You knitted your own scarf?!
Wowzer!

I'm really impressed!

Russell

batman

fantastic build and what fantastic weather you have well done
you where expecting Batman in a rocket..... 3rd Doctor, Inferno

moretroubleagain

Got my doors up and hardware installed.

20200229_120201.jpg20200229_135113.jpg20200229_153046.jpg20200229_155848.jpg

moretroubleagain

WELCOME BACK TARDIS BUILDERS!! I completed the two TARDIS in May, almost a year to complete the two. The "pull to open" signs were that last piece. Yours truly with one TARDIS and the TARDIS belonging to my pal, Bryan