rob49152

A few more reference photos I've found.
1hundred-swedish-armillary-sphere-632_1.jpg
1hundred-swedish-armillary-sphere-632_2.jpg
73ee032da1c4a1d7c68dbc6512a88d3b (1).jpg

Rassilons Rod

May 20, 2015, 08:54 pm #31 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:55 pm by rassilonsrod
Amazing stuff guys :)

I have the feeling the images on the Base are astrology images?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

rob49152

I know what I'm modelling in 3D tonight!! ;D

Yeah I'd agree with the astrology comment. With there being the twelve areas representing the zodiac and there being Twins, Ram, Scorpion and 2 fish it's pretty clear that's the case.

galacticprobe

May 21, 2015, 04:34 am #33 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:38 am by galacticprobe
I noticed in the image with Barbara, the numbers on the inside of the ring stop at "9" (at least on that side of the ring). Then in the one with Ian and the Doctor, you can see the numbers to the left of the "1" count back from "12" (with "11" being as far as we can see). Are there any images showing just how far back the numbers count on that side of the ring? (In celation's image you can see back to the "5".)

In contrast (aside from painted numbers on the "prop"), the Swedish sphere has numbers that stop at "8" inside the ring (again on that side of it). Other than that I have to agree, it looks like a match.

So, Rob, and Chris, are they your spheres? Or are those just some nice images you've found of a sphere? (And if they are yours, where did you find them?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

They are photos I found online. I have a whole schwack more showing both sides of the base if anyone wants to see them?

These things are freaking expensive the cheapest I saw was $498 US.

galacticprobe

May 21, 2015, 05:21 am #35 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:15 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rob49152 on May 21, 2015, 05:09 am
They are photos I found online. I have a whole schwack more showing both sides of the base if anyone wants to see them?

Need you ask? Heck yeah! (If you would, please? :))

Quote from: rob49152 on May 21, 2015, 05:09 am
These things are freaking expensive the cheapest I saw was $498 US.

Ouch, ouch, and triple ouch! Well, unless someone finds a "sleeper" in a garage/boot/estate sale or other such source, it looks like a simple enough piece of artwork that someone could replicate with some careful cutting of wood, and maybe a thin strip of metal (for the ring and arrow fletching (metal), and loops and arrowhead (wood)). A dowel would serve well for the arrow shaft. So the top half could be done relatively easily.

It's the base that would be tricky. The shape can be recreated with thin metal and supports inside for structural integrity; it's the designs that would be the hard part. You'd either have to be a metalsmith (and somewhat of an artist) to emboss the shapes into the metal (or you would need to have a friend or know someone with that ability), or you could have them 3-D printed and then glued onto the base. All it would take then is the right application of paint and you'd have the base. Still, very tricky to get that replicated.

(By the way, how far off do people think my guesstimated dimensions for the Armillary Sphere are?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 21, 2015, 05:21 am
By the way, how far off do people think my guesstimated dimensions for the Armillary Sphere are?

Dino.

According to http://www.decorativecollective.com/dealers/1hundred/p/swedish-armillary-sphere, the dimensions are:
H: 68cm (26.77in)
W: 50cm (19.69in)

Tony

galacticprobe

May 21, 2015, 05:38 pm #37 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:06 pm by galacticprobe
Okay, so I wasn't too far off:

19.69 inches wide vs. 18 inches (presuming this is the sphere itself);
26.77 inches high vs. 30 inches (18 for the sphere + 12 for the base).

Not bad for eyeballing it, though it looks like I was closer to the sphere size, and the base isn't as tall as I'd guessed, especially if they're counting the arrow's point in the height measurement. If they are, then according to their measurements the base would be 7.08 inches (17.98cm) tall (maybe we could call that 18cm since it's so close?... which would make that 7.09 inches - 7.086 to be precise).

It looks like this is one of those pieces where it would be much easier to work on using metric measurements rather than imperial if one was to try replicating it from wood and a clever paint job. Again the hardest part would be that base and all of its fine embossings. (I think some 3-D printing would be needed to get that full effect of the reliefs.)

Here's some close-ups of that base:
ArmillarySphereBase-01.jpg

ArmillarySphereBase-02.jpg
That's some amazing detail on this thing!

And thanks so much for the link, Tony!

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

That's amazing! The only thing is the we now need the 3 Eagle plinth for it to sit on ;)
Public Enema Number One.

Volpone

I'm furnishing an empty bedroom right now that has a window that looks out on my TARDIS.  I can't quite justify doing a Scarfwearer and making it a control room, but I'd love to put in a hatrack, Knossos throne, and the eagle/armillary.  (And maybe a Maltese Falcon, but that's another story.) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

elkad

It's a sundial isn't it? Point the arrow to the north (I think) & when the sun shines on the dial, the shadow indicates the time. (thinking to myself) - A sun dial only has a limited amount of numbers, because you have to think, when the sun go's down, no shadow, can't tell the time.

Rassilons Rod

Definitely an Armillary Sphere :)
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

May 24, 2015, 04:43 am #42 Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:08 am by galacticprobe
Looking at those reference images again, it looks like the numbers inside that ring start with the "12" on that center "vertical" loop. Then going from "12" to the right it counts from "1" up to "8", and going from the "12" to the left it counts from "11" down to "4".

Wikipedia explains what it was supposed to be for (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armillary_sphere), and the ENCYCLOPÆDIA BRITANNICA describes several different types, each with a different number of rings (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/35363/armillary-sphere), with Ptolemy describing one with three rings, like the one in this thread.

Now I'll have to look up how an armillary sphere is supposed to work, since the numbers "4" through "7" are duplicated on each side of our sphere (unlike a sundial where only the "6" is duplicated on each side). More research ahead. :P

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Sep 13, 2015, 03:31 pm #44 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2015, 03:36 pm by galacticprobe
Okay; now it's official. My brain hurts!

I'm going to have to read that one over several times - taking notes - hoping to whittle things down a little into something understandable. At least it will give my brain something to work on. (Got to keep those little green cells active - both of them!)

Although, the one in that link does have far more rings in its construction that the one from the TARDIS. So now I've got even more to think about! (Thanks, Marc; you really know how to work someone's brain. :P)

Dino.