Mar 01, 2021, 09:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Armillary Sphere

Started by Rassilons Rod, May 29, 2007, 12:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Senseidale

OMGosh one one my old patients has one of these I have never realised or made the connection, I am going to have to see him and get some pics assuming he is still alive and kicking it has been sometime and he was not in the best of health.
Dale 
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

gerald lovell

Spotted in Girl in the Headlines which was made at Twickenham Film Studios and released in November 1963:

vlcsnap-2016-09-23-21h34m05s414_zpslaaowumg.png

The three real-life drinking buddies featured are Ian Hendry, Ronald Fraser ("The Happiness Patrol") and James Villiers.

cobalt

I might as well add these to the thread..

I was watching my DVD box set of The Munsters, and look what showed up as set dressing in one of the episodes:
munsters01.png
munsters02.png

The Munsters was filmed almost entirely at Universal Studios in California, so I doubt it's the same prop, but... man, those things sure got around.

Angelus Lupus

Same period, so perhaps it was one of those go-to pieces of set-dressing that various props houses and TV studios carried to make sets look more interesting?
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Davros Skaro

Dec 18, 2016, 07:48 am #49 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2016, 07:52 am by Davros Skaro
I think this is the right place for this, but does anyone know what this is?

NDVD_022.1.jpg
NDVD_040.jpg
NDVD_039.1.jpg

An interesting object too.
Chris.

Rassilons Rod

Dec 18, 2016, 09:17 am #50 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2016, 09:18 am by rassilonsrod
Looks like another armillary sphere to me....
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

kiwidoc

Agreed - one with a thicker central band perhaps with astrological stuff like this one:  Nautical-Brass-Sphere-Astrolabe-Armillary-Globe-Collectible-Antique-_1.jpg
or
mZ-xwS-KFhand1Ky2p4TWKA.jpg

It's hard to see but it's on a stand/base rather than sitting on the bookcase as I first thought so google image search for brass armillary sphere brings up lots of close contenders..

fivefingeredstyre

Looks like it's from the end of the opening title's to Game of Thrones...  :D

davidnagel

Fitted as standard on all Type Anything Time Capsules
Kind Regards,

David

www.spiffinglyniceguy.co.uk

Davros Skaro

Dec 18, 2016, 10:22 pm #54 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2016, 10:28 pm by Davros Skaro
Thanks guys, I did a quick search & found it, WA HOO. It's a "Copernican Armillary Sphere, early 19th century" link to page below. but here are the pics:

11835_3.jpg
11837_3.jpg
11838_3.jpg

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencemuseum.org.uk%2FHoMImages%2FComponents%2F118%2F11835_3.png&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencemuseum.org.uk%2Fonline_science%2Fexplore_our_collections%2Fobjects%2Findex%2Fsmxg-431437&docid=asW7TXupsPgb2M&tbnid=SjmIidf9Bs4SgM%3A&vet=1&w=576&h=768&client=firefox-b&bih=605&biw=1024&q=armillary%20sphere&ved=0ahUKEwiizfmO4f7QAhVKvrwKHXZKBVo4ZBAzCCYoJDAk&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=768&imgdii=SjmIidf9Bs4SgM%3A%3BSjmIidf9Bs4SgM%3A%3BR8CXGN52AuUNSM%3A&vet=1&w=576

Following the "view Page" doesn't work, it's broken, gives this message Quote: " Oops...It looks like you've requested a page which couldn't be found.
This could be due to recent work on our site that has affected some of our content. We are working to resolve these issues but in the meantime you may find what you are looking for at:" & it goes on.

but thanks to you guys at least we know what it is & this post may help others.

Chris.
Chris.

Davros Skaro

Dec 18, 2016, 10:32 pm #55 Last Edit: Dec 18, 2016, 10:55 pm by Davros Skaro
Also found this one:
french-armillary-sphere-used-for-measuring-the-co-ordinates-of-the-celestial-bodies.jpg

French Armillary Sphere used for measuring the co-ordinates of the Celestial Bodies, 1800 to 1900 French. The Sun and Earth sphere surrounded by the solar planets, except for Neptune, which was later, discovered in 1846, and the moon all mounted on movable brass arms within a cage of rings representing the poles, tropics, ecliptic and equator. An outer central ring demonstrating the months of the year and their astrological signs
Printed and painted paper, brass rod and arms, ebonised wooden base
Circa 1830 - 40

Size: 46cm high, 28.5cm dia. - 18 ins high, 11¼ ins dia.

Probably developed during the 13th century armillary spheres are the oldest known type of astronomical instrument used for both observing the heavens and teaching. It is a skeletal celestial sphere with rings that reproduce the orbits of the heavenly bodies and can be set so that their relative positions reflect the relationships in the heavens. The arms and rings can be rotated to show the heavens at a particular time of day thus enabling predictions to be made by the astrologer.
Instruments of this kind were used from the time of the early Greek astronomers to that of Tycho Brahe (1546 - 1601) the Danish astronomer whose careful measurements of the sun's apparent movement allowed him to determine the length of a year to within one second, forcing ten days to be dropped from the Julian calendar in 1582 after it was proved that the Julian year exceeded the 'true' year by that amount of time. Brahe became the Emperor Rudolph II's personal astrologer, who eventually relied on Brahe not only for his predictions, but also for his advice on affairs of state.

Then I noticed this:
valk-globe.jpg
An early 19th century celestial globe, which is also like this from the same room,
NDVD_012.jpg

But cant find one like it in Google search, so I'm thinking it's a possible marriage item...

Chris.
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

Garden places and sometimes ASDA do good sized static affordable ones in summer, I'll photograph mine for you tomorrow.

Kiwidoc - I got the large version of that astrological one a while ago on Amazon, it's a really nice piece.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Volpone

I've seen an armillary sphere at Cost Plus World Market too.  Nothing near screen accurate, but if you're just looking for the effect, that might be a place to look.   
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Rassilons Rod

That does indeed look close. It's also cheaper than the one linked to above but I bet shipping/ import duties will be high.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.