News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Central Column help...

Started by chancellorvalium, Aug 29, 2006, 09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: celation on Dec 17, 2010, 02:59 pm
Details in terms of what?

Didn't we end up agreeing that they are curtain rail finials, after a suggestion from Iz?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Teletran

Dec 17, 2010, 03:15 pm #181 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 03:18 pm by Teletran
Diameter of balls, distance from centre, that sort of thing.

Edit: is this thread coming out in paperback any time soon?
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

celation

Dec 17, 2010, 03:18 pm #182 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 03:19 pm by celation
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 17, 2010, 03:12 pm
Didn't we end up agreeing that they are curtain rail finials, after a suggestion from Iz?

Whether they were curtain rail finials originally, I don't know - but we did decide (thanks to Iz's suggestion) that they made an excellent replacement part.

I was about to say that I hadn't tried this out yet - but I have actually drilled one of these and tried it on the end of an acrylic rod, and it seems to hold the weight fine. My thoughts are that the original was more lightweight, though. That said - perhaps the extra weight will help with momentum and counterbalance.

So - details as far as I can make out - 3/8 in acrylic rod with two ribbed spheres of approx 3 - 3 1/2 inches diameter on the ends. The whole bar is approx 12 inches in overall length (the basket at the bottom is about 11.5 inches diameter).
The central rod is 1 inch diameter.

Teletran

Quote from: celation on Dec 17, 2010, 03:18 pm
3/8 in acrylic rod with two ribbed spheres of approx 3 - 3 1/2 inches diameter on the ends. The whole bar is approx 12 inches in overall length (the basket at the bottom is about 11.5 inches diameter).
The central rod is 1 inch diameter.

Thanks, I'm just starting work on my pseudo steampunk secondary control console, which will have a lot of clockwork in the time rotor and I thought the pendulum would make a nice touchstone to the Hartnell console.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

dglucas2

I Know I've Come to this thread a bit late, But Would anybody know Who Made the Veg Rack or If there is a 3d Printable file on the Internet anywhere.

tony farrell

galacticprobe

Oct 01, 2015, 08:02 am #186 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2015, 08:03 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: dglucas2 on Sep 30, 2015, 05:40 pm
I Know I've Come to this thread a bit late, But Would anybody know Who Made the Veg Rack or If there is a 3d Printable file on the Internet anywhere.

I don't know if this will help, but there is some discussion on this rack starting here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=979.msg23328#msg23328. They do occasionally pop up on eBay if you search for any combination of "stackable fruit vegetable rack". Read through the thread, though; there might be mention of who actually made it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

dglucas2

Thanks for the Information. I will reread the thread again and thank you for the Detail picture.

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 01, 2015, 08:02 am
I don't know if this will help, but there is some discussion on this rack starting here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=979.msg23328#msg23328. They do occasionally pop up on eBay if you search for any combination of "stackable fruit vegetable rack". Read through the thread, though; there might be mention of who actually made it.
Dino.

The best person to ask who made them would be Jonathan (Markofrani) who owns the bottom (or middle, I'm not sure) tier of one of these elusive stacking vegetable baskets:

1.jpg

T

markofrani

Sorry, the basket just says 'MADE IN ENGLAND'. Those were the days when we actually made something!

kiwidoc

Folks, this is now available on Ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-1960s-1970s-Red-Stackable-Vegetable-Rack-in-VGC-/391390623161?hash=item5b20b2f5b9:g:PogAAOSw~OVWwYSz

It's clearly from the same family as the original Column basket and with a little care you could join the ends of each oblong basket together to form a circle - it would simply have 4 legs instead of three.   Size isn't given but presumably it's in the same scale as the round versions.

I've been watching EBay for ages to grab one and this is the first I've seen but price+shipping to NZ for the entire thing is prohibitive.  If someone here snaps it up and is willing, I'd love to offer to pay you a fair price for the parts to make one basket up...

Cheers (and good luck!),  Glen

davidnagel

Quote from: kiwidoc on Mar 16, 2016, 08:13 pm
Cheers (and good luck!),  Glen

Ya know, I don't mind giving you a hand Glen. A Hartnell "mode" it something I've been planning for the console in my hands.
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2016, 05:46 am #192 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2016, 05:53 am by galacticprobe
Maybe if someone asked the seller who the manufacturer is (there should be some sort of stamp or maker's mark on one of these), then we would know what to search for, or at least have more ammo in our search arsenal.

And, wow; those really are oval! (Some surgery will be required to make one of those round.) That shipping is a killer! (Are they made of diamonds or platinum?)

And speaking of the Hartnell/Brachacki console and replicas of it - not meaning to deviate from this thread on the column, but just curious - does anyone know what happened to the "Doctor Who: Devious" replica console, which was also used for the making of "The Curse of Fatal Death"? I know "Devious" was never completed and bits of it ended up as an extra on "The War Games" DVD set, but what happened to the console? Did someone take it for their collection? Or (hopefully not) did it get broken up and tossed into the skip?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

What, you mean this one:

IMG_0657-1_zpsf2de37d4.jpg

(I'm sure I have a better picture but i'm damned if I can find it!)

Its still around I believe. This was taken about 3 years ago at a scifi convention in Brighton. I was told by a friend of the owner that it was going to be there again this year; however I couldn't make it   :-X

tony farrell

You look very at home there Steve - now remember, to dematerialise, you first turn the handle levers and then (simultaneously) you throw the three secondary levers!

:D

T