Apr 19, 2024, 06:00 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Plans for the interior of the coral?

Started by drgrackle, May 18, 2019, 11:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

drgrackle

Apr 22, 2020, 01:44 pm #15 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2020, 01:45 pm by thegypsy
So I actually started 3d modelling this interior and I've come to some reasonable measurements.
Maybe I should post them.

tony farrell

kmcustoms

Quote from: thegypsy on Apr 22, 2020, 01:44 pm
So I actually started 3d modelling this interior and I've come to some reasonable measurements.
Maybe I should post them.

Please do!

drgrackle

Apr 25, 2020, 03:03 pm #18 Last Edit: Apr 25, 2020, 05:51 pm by thegypsy
Alrighty, so I'm not used to posting plans and lengthy talkative replies.
But...
I've seen a short thread on this site stating that the coral console room is 35 feet wide, from wall to wall, and from floor (actual floor, not metal mesh) to ceiling, the room is 18 feet tall. So using this information, I opened blender and created a UV sphere. I made it 35feet in every dimension, I gave it 24 polygons around, seeing as there are 24 walls creating the round room, and I attempted to create a panel that would fit 4 hexagons.
Now, these are not to be considered 100% accurate, however.
[noimg]https://imgur.com/Ura249j[/img]
This is the result and I think it looks fairly ok.
What I have so far for the measurements follow:

Large hexel: 18 inches in diameter (vertex to vertex)
Mid hexel: 15 inches in diameter (vertex to vertex)
Smallest hexel: 8 inches in diameter (vertex to vertex)

I haven't yet worked out if these are accurate or not, but as of now, I think they work well.
All together...

Now, it would be tremendous if we could all work out something more concrete.
I'll try working on something more put-together, such as the dimensions of the panels that making up the wall, and possibly the metal mesh platforms.

EDIT: Sorry I don't know how forum images work.Screenshot_6.pngScreenshot_7.pngScreenshot_8.pngScreenshot_5.pngScreenshot_9.pngScreenshot_10.png

drgrackle

https://imgur.com/wRS0roS
On second thought, and a look through of this thread once more, I've come to a slightly different set of plans for the roundels. Still working on them though.

scotland yard

Quote from: thegypsy on Apr 25, 2020, 03:03 pm
EDIT: Sorry I don't know how forum images work.

Underneath the text box, there's a "choose file" option if you have the image in your computer.
Oh my giddy aunt!!

kmcustoms

Nice work so far! I found this information in a BBC article from 2005, "The new TARDIS is approx 6.5m high, 16m in diameter". However this does contradict other measurements that I have found. http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/03_march/22/who2.shtml

Rassilons Rod

6.5m!!!! I think that seems quite excessive!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

I disagree; 21.3 feet tall doesn't seem unreasonable especially when you realise that the console sits inside a raised metal mesh floor:

U9OEFl.jpg

T

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 26, 2020, 03:23 pm
I disagree; 21.3 feet tall doesn't seem unreasonable especially when you realise that the console sits inside a raised metal mesh floor:

U9OEFl.jpg

T

Either I have accidentally replied on the wrong thread, or the images I was referring to have vanished.... I was thinking about the height of the box......
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

BioDoctor900

I don't know if these images will be of any use to sizing your Hexels...

6C476194-3CCB-46B4-8AD2-503934F3036E.jpeg

1B48349C-95EE-4AA7-AA8B-222ADFDEEF95.jpeg

I would assume these are from the higher up panels

BioDoctor900

drgrackle

Those were already submitted to this threat, but here is a new image I made using those mm.
Screenshot_17.png

kmcustoms

Have you done any work to the floor yet? :)

drgrackle

What do you mean? Like, how big the floor is, or do you mean have I done any work on the grated panels?

drgrackle

As we can see in this image, the wall has rather what I would think it the size of a large hexel between the genuine hexels, and perhaps a half-hexel on either side.
index.png
Combined with the fact that my large hexel is 20inches from vertex to vertex...
Screenshot_10.png
20x2=40 (for both hexels)
+20 (for the in-between area)
+10+10 (for the side of the hexels)
This leaves us with 80 inches.
Using a polygon calculator, I found the V2V radius to be 306.452 in (based on the 80inch bottom panel).
This would imply that the console room is about 51 feet from wall to wall, as apposed to the previously mentioned 35 feet.
With this all in mind, I end up with this result.
Screenshot_19.png
Anything to add here folks?